Some comments about comments

RE: Comments & Votes

I think the readers are still here, compared to years ago. Web analytics confirms that. And I think Manu said that Lit traffic has grown.

I think that it's that readers are more spread out now. People read old stories and use the search functions. Readers also rely more on Hubs now, whereas before everyone was on the New List.

Take this for example.

This story came out four months ago and has blockbuster numbers in Incest.

https://www.literotica.com/s/cum-for-austin

408.4k views
687 favs
171 comments

In Group Sex, this story came out in May.

https://www.literotica.com/s/the-big-tits-club-ch-01-04

113.8k views
304 favs
40 comments

Those types of numbers are really hard to come by, but they still happen.

Like I said, people are spread out now so it's harder to have a big hit.

Mattie and the Farm
Mattie graduates college and meets a dirty old man.
07/05/2021 in Mature Stories
Published Hot 38 28.3k 4.66/661 12

This doesn't have LC's big score but it wasn't in a contest either. Favorites and comments don't seem bad for a run of the mill entry.

I haven't seen a big drop in comments but since I'm not getting paid for my stories, I don't pay a lot of attention to such things.

ETA: I'm with Heyall. It used to be 60 stories a day. Now it is twice that.

Last edited:
No such function here on acceptable. On or off, only choice.

Not sure if we're talking the same thing? You can shut your comments and voting off on any story, any time on your home page. Under Works, the list of your stories, little wheel to the right beside the comment balloon. On or off. You can do it anytime. Is that what you're talking about? You can also do it during submission.

Once off, it can take the server a few hours to restore the function should you change your mind.

I was addressing anonymous comments specifically. The only place you can turn those off while allowing signed-in comments is from the options page I liked. The options at submission and from your control panel on each story shut off all comments, including those from registered users.

So your three options are:

Turn off all feedback for all stories ( anon + registered ) on the options page.
Turn off anonymous for all stories on the options page.
Turn off all feedback for individual stories via the control panel or selected at submission.

No such function here on acceptable. On or off, only choice.

From your "My Home" page select "Options" on the left then, at the top right, select "My Options." The page asks the question "Accept Anonymous Feedback?" and gives you the choice of "Yes" or "No."

Just a guess, but I'd take it to mean that the authors generate the content that brings eyeballs to the site so that the site owners can make some money.

Thanks, that tells me what I wanted to know.

I've been pounding away so I can make some money. Now back to it.

Private feedback is also far less frequent, as its also being screened, as evidenced by the fact that I'll get two or three at a time-coming in the exact same time as that's when they were released.

If that is somehow tied into the VPN/spam issue, many of those are never making it to us either.

Private feedback is also far less frequent, as its also being screened, as evidenced by the fact that I'll get two or three at a time-coming in the exact same time as that's when they were released.

If that is somehow tied into the VPN/spam issue, many of those are never making it to us either.

I can't think of any reason the site would screen private feedback. They've never (to my knowledge) said that they do. If you wonder, then you could ask.

Private feedback has always been screened ( not particularly well ) for spam, and there's a limitation in place that can stop you from sending feedback temporarily if you send too many messages in too short of a period of time. I actually encountered that myself on more than one occasion back in the day while trying to RVC contest stories. I would imagine that persisting once you've triggered that could very well get you blackballed. I always dropped off for a day and purposely went after the long stories the next day to spread things out whenever I got bit by it.

VPNs may very well be causing more false positives, but the screening has been in place for as long as I've been here.

Everyone should also check their spam box regularly, because it seems as if all the services regularly blackball Lit, even when you've previously marked Lit mails as not spam. I find that my incoming mails have ended up in the spam box about every six months to a year with a fair amount of regularity.

I can't think of any reason the site would screen private feedback. They've never (to my knowledge) said that they do. If you wonder, then you could ask.

Because it uses email, which is a surefire way to get the website on blacklists if it's a major source of spam.

I don't think the actual contents are being screened, but rather the domain & IP, which is why spam still gets through.

When you send private feedback, it says, this message will be sent as soon as a moderator approves it.

But that doesn't necessarily mean it WILL be screened.

The word "approves" implies it won't be sent if they don't approve of the message. The wording indicates at least someone views what's their. What they are looking for I'm unsure of, email address, websites, or comments of a personal attack, I don't know. I have received many emails from here already this time around, and none of them have been unkind.

The delay from send to receive is the time it takes to approve them. Whatever that entails, do they not forward one's that are selling something, probably. Other than that, I don't know what needs be approved or disallowed.

My story Home is Where the Heart is just received its 500th comment. .

Well, first of all, congrats on that number. That's amazing. I feel like I've done well here and I have nothing to complain about, but I don't have any stories that come close to that number in comments. That shows a lot of success in terms of connecting with readers, which is a big part of what I try to do. That's a great accomplishment.

Here's my question for you: what do you think the Site should do? Is this something the Site can do something about, or is the lack of comments just a result of changes in the reader market that the Site cannot realistically do anything about? I don't know.

I have five stories with a 4.8+ rating. Well, really six, but two are the different versions of the same story, and one of those versions was a contest entry, so I'm going to ignore those two.

Looking at those four stories, here's what their statistics after roughly two weeks:
[tr][td]Title[/td][td]Published[/td][td]Date[/td][td]
Score​
[/td][td]
Votes​
[/td][td]
Views​
[/td][td]
Comments​
[/td][td]
Favorites​
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]My Sister Set Me Up on a Blind Date[/td][td]8/17/16[/td][td]8/29/16[/td][td]
4.80​
[/td][td]
2,418​
[/td][td]
112,631​
[/td][td]
70​
[/td][td]
262​
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]My Lingerie-Loving Sister Moves In[/td][td]10/16/17[/td][td]10/30/17[/td][td]
4.78​
[/td][td]
2,773​
[/td][td]
139,819​
[/td][td]
88​
[/td][td]
323​
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]My Crocheting Little Sister[/td][td]6/29/19[/td][td]7/15/19[/td][td]
4.81​
[/td][td]
1,482​
[/td][td]
82,683​
[/td][td]
48​
[/td][td]
219​
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]My Mom Competes with my Stepmom[/td][td]5/17/21[/td][td]5/31/21[/td][td]
4.82​
[/td][td]
1,718​
[/td][td]
113,915​
[/td][td]
62​
[/td][td]
410​
[/td][/tr]

The data is very noisy, and it's a small sample set, but I'm not seeing the big drop off in comments that LC is claiming.

I have five stories with a 4.8+ rating. Well, really six, but two are the different versions of the same story, and one of those versions was a contest entry, so I'm going to ignore those two.

Looking at those four stories, here's what their statistics after roughly two weeks:
Score​
[/td][td]
Votes​
[/td][td]
Views​
[/td][td]
Comments​
[/td][td]
Favorites​
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]My Sister Set Me Up on a Blind Date[/td][td]8/17/16[/td][td]8/29/16[/td][td]
4.80​
[/td][td]
2,418​
[/td][td]
112,631​
[/td][td]
70​
[/td][td]
262​
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]My Lingerie-Loving Sister Moves In[/td][td]10/16/17[/td][td]10/30/17[/td][td]
4.78​
[/td][td]
2,773​
[/td][td]
139,819​
[/td][td]
88​
[/td][td]
323​
[/td][/tr]
4.81​
[/td][td]
1,482​
[/td][td]
82,683​
[/td][td]
48​
[/td][td]
219​
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]My Mom Competes with my Stepmom[/td][td]5/17/21[/td][td]5/31/21[/td][td]
4.82​
[/td][td]
1,718​
[/td][td]
113,915​
[/td][td]
62​
[/td][td]
410​
[/td][/tr]

The data is very noisy, and it's a small sample set, but I'm not seeing the big drop off in comments that LC is claiming.

Ouch. Out of my 400+ stories, my most commented one has only 48...

#1, hats off for taking the time to do that in bbcode. Bravo. That is one beautiful wall-o-text when viewed from the quote, and the result from the forum view is a chef's kiss as well. :D

Incest is something of an anomaly in regards to the comment drop. Even the larger drops that were evident in other categories as a result of favorites becoming a preferred method of feedback doesn't really show up in the numbers for Incest.

The same was true for LW for the most part. That category has truly been affected by the comment moderation queue, because so much of that category's commentary is conversational. Without comments instantly appearing, there are fewer triggers visible to launch those adversarial comments.

'16 doesn't really go far enough back to catch that larger drop from the favorite preference. You need to go back to maybe '11 or '12 to see that happening, but I don't see it in my own incest numbers, where other categories demonstrate the steady flip between comments and favorites.

Score​
[/td][td]
Votes​
[/td][td]
Views​
[/td][td]
Comments​
[/td][td]
Favorites​
[/td][/tr]
4.80​
[/td][td]
2,418​
[/td][td]
112,631​
[/td][td]
70​
[/td][td]
262​
[/td][/tr]
4.78​
[/td][td]
2,773​
[/td][td]
139,819​
[/td][td]
88​
[/td][td]
323​
[/td][/tr]
4.81​
[/td][td]
1,482​
[/td][td]
82,683​
[/td][td]
48​
[/td][td]
219​
[/td][/tr]
4.82​
[/td][td]
1,718​
[/td][td]
113,915​
[/td][td]
62​
[/td][td]
410​
[/td][/tr]

My biggest numbers in Anal and Group have both happened in the last couple of years, since the introduction of the queue. Of course, those were apparently lightning in a bottle, because they overperformed on the other two sites where I post as well. Hence, the reason the partially completed sequels will never see the light of day. I think I'd just end up diluting the originals by trying to follow them up.

RE: Comments & Votes

I think the readers are still here, compared to years ago. Web analytics confirms that. And I think Manu said that Lit traffic has grown.

I think that it's that readers are more spread out now. People read old stories and use the search functions. Readers also rely more on Hubs now, whereas before everyone was on the New List.

Take this for example.

This story came out four months ago and has blockbuster numbers in Incest.

https://www.literotica.com/s/cum-for-austin

408.4k views
687 favs
171 comments

In Group Sex, this story came out in May.

https://www.literotica.com/s/the-big-tits-club-ch-01-04

113.8k views
304 favs
40 comments

Those types of numbers are really hard to come by, but they still happen.

Like I said, people are spread out now so it's harder to have a big hit.

Ouch. Out of my 400+ stories, my most commented one has only 48...

I haven't bothered to check, but I'm sure even at that number you have my stories beat. I think the comment (and vote) ratio is largely category specific. I try not to sink into comparisons on how others are doing with such stats here. The systems here are loose to the point of being largely meaningless. It remains the best game in town, though, I believe.

For those who haven't been around that long, you know when a point is made when RR starts posting under his other names to make some kind of points

And TX comes out of the coffee shop thread.

All because they can't seem to accept that Lit did something wrong and people see it and aren't thrilled about it.

I understand RR, he's lit's resident yes man and spin doctor to the point its obvious.

TX though, I admit I don't understand. I have a ton of respect for the dirty old man as a writer and a person, we go back a spell, fought with and against each other here, and I'll say this.

TXR has contributed a ton to this site in the 15+ years he's been here. The story file, the contests, the community, and has always been a staunch defender of it, called out the BS trolls tried to help police the forum before the mod you name it he did it.

And for all that a few years back, after Laurel told a blatant lie that was there for everyone to see, and he called and I called it out...she told him once more and he'd be 'punished" cause yeah, we won't have the truth here.

But he keep defending it, not sure if its sad or admirable.

Hell, even Keith-Pilot-who we all know I have no love for 1500ish stories, always in the contests, in the boards big part of the place...same thing, he and I called trolls for pointing out how the site was screwing people out of winnings when they announced winners of contests months-years-later and never notified, FFS he used to get green E's on his stories until he continued to call the site out for broken features and other issues...no more green E's now...

That's the level of professionalism here that for some reason a couple of people continue to defend while making the people who point out provable and obvious issues into the trolls.

There's too much real world stuff going on for something this stupid to matter, so I'll let it go, but wasn't going to just not post what I found out, what I know, and affirm what many here who don't want to post for fear of being attacked also know.

Enjoy the show.

... It remains the best game in town, though, I believe.

I post some of my stories on Xhamster. The response I have had to them has been minimal. Any of my stories on Lit, whatever it is, gets far more reactions than on Xhamster. I used to post on Yahoo Adult Groups before Yahoo pulled almost all of them. Again, with one exception from a now-closed group, the response was tiny.

Lit may not be perfect by it is still the best place to post stories. But many of my stories were posted long before Lit introduced comments.

Virtually nobody is reporting a drop off related to the queue outside of LW, where it's obvious that the comment queue is having a significant effect, and it's equally obvious why it's happening. You act as if it's coming up every day from a multitude of people, so where are they, and where is the data to back it up?

If I wanted to play conspiracy theory, I might very well determine that the whole purpose of the comment queue was to stifle the "spirited" discussions from LW comment sections, which you complained were being ignored and spreading throughout the site.

Of course, I remember the onslaught of comment spam that prompted it, and how it immediately ceased upon introduction of the queue, so I'd have to conveniently ignore that for my conspiracy theory to work.

And please... :rolleyes: Attempting to paint me as a troll for posting in one of my other pen names when the nature of the post clearly was only about the ava of that pen name and how it related to the off-topic post I was replying to is utterly disingenuous.

For those who haven't been around that long, you know when a point is made when RR starts posting under his other names to make some kind of points

And TX comes out of the coffee shop thread.

All because they can't seem to accept that Lit did something wrong and people see it and aren't thrilled about it.

I understand RR, he's lit's resident yes man and spin doctor to the point its obvious.

TX though, I admit I don't understand. I have a ton of respect for the dirty old man as a writer and a person, we go back a spell, fought with and against each other here, and I'll say this.

TXR has contributed a ton to this site in the 15+ years he's been here. The story file, the contests, the community, and has always been a staunch defender of it, called out the BS trolls tried to help police the forum before the mod you name it he did it.

And for all that a few years back, after Laurel told a blatant lie that was there for everyone to see, and he called and I called it out...she told him once more and he'd be 'punished" cause yeah, we won't have the truth here.

But he keep defending it, not sure if its sad or admirable.

Hell, even Keith-Pilot-who we all know I have no love for 1500ish stories, always in the contests, in the boards big part of the place...same thing, he and I called trolls for pointing out how the site was screwing people out of winnings when they announced winners of contests months-years-later and never notified, FFS he used to get green E's on his stories until he continued to call the site out for broken features and other issues...no more green E's now...

That's the level of professionalism here that for some reason a couple of people continue to defend while making the people who point out provable and obvious issues into the trolls.

There's too much real world stuff going on for something this stupid to matter, so I'll let it go, but wasn't going to just not post what I found out, what I know, and affirm what many here who don't want to post for fear of being attacked also know.

Enjoy the show.

First, what is "SOL?" What is "Lush?" I assume other sites. Are they?

Next, what is "RVC Culture?"

Missed this. Yes. Other text erotica sites.

RVC stands for Read, Vote, Comment. It's a culture of authors reading the work of other authors, voting, and commenting. Often, upon getting an RVC, you would seek out something from that author to return the favor. In contests, it would be their contest offerings. Typically constructive criticism would be sent privately, and like most readers, low votes wouldn't be cast. If you didn't like it, you moved on. It used to be widespread in the AH, until naysayers decried it so frequently and venomously that it attracted troll attention to anyone you left a comment for, and the culture died out.

Virtually nobody is reporting a drop off related to the queue . . . . You act as if it's coming up every day from a multitude of people, so where are they, and where is the data to back it up?
The drop off in commenting frequency related to the queue is also blatantly obvious in the German LIT section; not that you would know anything about that though.

RVC stands for Read, Vote, Comment. It's a culture of authors reading the work of other authors, voting, and commenting. Often, upon getting an RVC, you would seek out something from that author to return the favor. In contests, it would be their contest offerings. Typically constructive criticism would be sent privately, and like most readers, low votes wouldn't be cast. If you didn't like it, you moved on.
So, just another name for doing a "circle jerk."

Last edited:
The drop off in commenting frequency related to the queue is also blatantly obvious in the German LIT section; not that you would know anything about that though.

Pop up some numbers. That way there's something to point at. Like you said, I wouldn't have any clue.

Likewise, I wouldn't have any idea if any porn bans/internet blocks could be affecting those numbers. Only someone who posts in the German section would know where their readers are coming from and could determine that.

Has the recent push in Germany to ban certain sites for nearly nonexistent age controls affected the ability to access Lit at all? Last time I looked, Germany made the 5 countries listed for incoming traffic to Lit. Only showing three now, with U.S., U.K., and Sweden. Alexa moves more behind the paywall every day, it seems.

It doesn't look as if any of those bans have actually gone through ( all the articles say "considering" and none saying a ban has actually been enacted ) but that doesn't mean that ISPs might not be trying to get out in front of the law.

Is it just comments, or are all the numbers dropping? At the same rate? Maybe the new pages have some poor translations of site functions in German that are affecting the comment rate? Did it happen when the queue went into place, or is it more evident since the new pages became the default?

There's a lot of possibilities that only someone who reads the language fluently and posts there regularly could even begin to fathom.

I couldn't possible establish a drop in comments. Even if it looked like I could, there's way to much noise in the systems--to many things that can influence readers to comment or not comment.

If I look at I/T stories alone, what I see it that for the last five years, my sibcest stories get a lot more comments then my mom/son stories. This is true in almost every case, and the differences are often a factor of three; a mom/son story might get 7-8 comments and a sibcest story will get 21-24 comments.

Back