Putting my story out into the universe

forgotmyantidepressants

Really Experienced
I just need to get this off my chest...

I wrote a 3.5k-ish word short a few months ago. It's been sitting at an acceptable 4.2 for a long time, but a few people have reached out and told me how much they enjoyed it. I've been writing different scenes for these characters and they have really evolved into "people" that I love writing about. I've got three additional "chapters" that I hope to post sometime very soon. But as I've been writing, focusing on character development just as much as erotic scenes, I can't help but worry if my story is erotic "enough". It's honestly been stressing me out a little bit.

But I've just had an epiphany... I'm going to tell my story the way I want to tell it, and if it sits on literotica with less than 10k views for all eternity, then that's fine. I've put a ton of work into it, so why shouldn't I post it?

Whew... I feel better lol. Hope everyone has a great weekend and holiday. Happy writing!

Write because you enjoy writing. It's not like you get a bonus if you get more views.
Also, the nature of any series is that each additional chapter will get fewer views than the one before. So if you care about views (and you probably shouldn't) don't write a series.
Otherwise welcome, enjoy, and good luck!

Write because you enjoy writing. It's not like you get a bonus if you get more views.
Also, the nature of any series is that each additional chapter will get fewer views than the one before. So if you care about views (and you probably shouldn't) don't write a series.
Otherwise welcome, enjoy, and good luck!
Thank you!

I wrote a 3.5k-ish word short a few months ago. It's been sitting at an acceptable 4.2 for a long time, but a few people have reached out and told me how much they enjoyed it. I've been writing different scenes for these characters and they have really evolved into "people" that I love writing about. I've got three additional "chapters" that I hope to post sometime very soon. But as I've been writing, focusing on character development just as much as erotic scenes, I can't help but worry if my story is erotic "enough". It's honestly been stressing me out a little bit.

But I've just had an epiphany... I'm going to tell my story the way I want to tell it, and if it sits on literotica with less than 10k views for all eternity, then that's fine. I've put a ton of work into it, so why shouldn't I post it?

Whew... I feel better lol. Hope everyone has a great weekend and holiday. Happy writing!

Honey, I just won the Winter Holidays contest with a story that contained no explicit sexual content. Write your story and don’t worry about it.

Good decision!

if it sits on literotica with less than 10k views for all eternity
My entire series The Rivals (nearly 50k words spread over five chapters) has about 7.5k views total. Of my seventeen other stories, ten have fewer - sometimes far fewer - than 10k views.

If you want views, write incest stuff. My four I/T stories have 210k views together. I enjoyed writing them, but no more than I enjoyed writing the others.

Unless you're hoping that Lit's going to be a stepping stone to a lucrative writing career, the writing probably carries more weight than the reading. Tell your own stores, and hope someone enjoys them.

My entire series The Rivals (nearly 50k words spread over five chapters) has about 7.5k views total. Of my seventeen other stories, ten have fewer - sometimes far fewer - than 10k views.

If you want views, write incest stuff. My four I/T stories have 210k views together. I enjoyed writing them, but no more than I enjoyed writing the others.

Unless you're hoping that Lit's going to be a stepping stone to a lucrative writing career, the writing probably carries more weight than the reading. Tell your own stores, and hope someone enjoys them.
I'm beginning to see the light.

I think of Literotica as a challenge for myself and as a relaxing hobby. I write what I like and I write it like I want to write it. The scores are just a way to tell me that I'm reaching some readers.

As far as erotic content, I can tell you that you'll never write too much sex into a story for some readers. I think far more readers want the sex to seem as if it naturally occurs rather than reading one long sex scene with ten different positions and an orgasm every fifteen minutes. I have several stories with little to no sex and they're doing as well as the others. I think the most important thing is to develop your characters into real people with real thoughts and feelings. Readers can identify with those characters.

I think of Literotica as a challenge for myself and as a relaxing hobby. I write what I like and I write it like I want to write it. The scores are just a way to tell me that I'm reaching some readers.

As far as erotic content, I can tell you that you'll never write too much sex into a story for some readers. I think far more readers want the sex to seem as if it naturally occurs rather than reading one long sex scene with ten different positions and an orgasm every fifteen minutes. I have several stories with little to no sex and they're doing as well as the others. I think the most important thing is to develop your characters into real people with real thoughts and feelings. Readers can identify with those characters.
I think good character development makes an erotic scene even more impactful

Honey, I just won the Winter Holidays contest with a story that contained no explicit sexual content. Write your story and don’t worry about it.
Exactly.

Blackrandl1958 is one of the most popular authors on Literotica with over 7,000 followers. Besides having published 100 stories (many with zero sex in them) Blackrandl1958 is also the organizer of several contests, author challenges, and one of the most selfless resources for other writers here.

You Can Go Home Again is one of my favorites

I'm in a similar place, writing something that is erotic-tinged, but not the focus. I had exactly the same worries and the same epiphany - I'm allowed to write the story I want to for me, because it's the story I want to tell.

So despite the complete absence of sex in a few chapters (particularly the story climax, which, you know, character-focused plot), and hoping it finds an audience other than myself, so long as writing it makes me happy and I'm satisfied with it... That's all I really want.

Plus some of the sex scenes I do have are pretty fucking hot, so it's all about what works for the story I want to tell. I'm finishing up my draft of chapter 4 this weekend, only 11 more planned chapters to go before I can start publishing!
(Oh god please kill me why did I think this was a good idea)

I'm finishing up my draft of chapter 4 this weekend, only 11 more planned chapters to go before I can start publishing!
Good work! Yes, it was a good idea. And yes... for maximum impact sometimes the ch has no sex in it at all. Sometimes it's all about the anticip....

I'm in a similar place, writing something that is erotic-tinged, but not the focus. I had exactly the same worries and the same epiphany - I'm allowed to write the story I want to for me, because it's the story I want to tell.

So despite the complete absence of sex in a few chapters (particularly the story climax, which, you know, character-focused plot), and hoping it finds an audience other than myself, so long as writing it makes me happy and I'm satisfied with it... That's all I really want.

Plus some of the sex scenes I do have are pretty fucking hot, so it's all about what works for the story I want to tell. I'm finishing up my draft of chapter 4 this weekend, only 11 more planned chapters to go before I can start publishing!
That's sounds awesome! Good luck with it!

Most of my stories are sitting well under 10k views, and I'm having a great time writing and posting here! Hopefully you continue to do so too! All the best, and happy holidays (and happy writing) to you. 😉

I spent a year writing a 104,000 word novel, and the last chapter has been read by 3000 people, which is three times more than I expected. Those readers followed my story to the end, and they're the best.

The numbers don't matter. It's what you get from writing the story that matters.

Back