Posting an updated story and keeping the original?

grenefire

Really Really Experienced
Hi all,

I’ve been writing on lit for 16 years now and I’ve been tempted to rewrite one of my first stories, Dear Daddy ch 1. After a long gap I went back and made that story into a series but I feel like that first chapter isn’t as good as the rest.

Is it possible to rewrite the story but keep both posted? Maybe having the title of the reworked story be Dear Daddy chapter 1 (2024 edition). Is that allowed?

Here is the link to the original story. It definitely isn’t up to my current standards but it has the kernel of a good story.

https://literotica.com/s/dear-daddy-ch-01/comments

Last edited:
If you're not pleased with it then why do you want to keep both published? There is a process for editing a story and replacing it (see FAQ). The edited version will keep the same score, comments, views, etc.

Last I experienced, no, Laurel didn't want two versions of the same story in the story file.

If you're not pleased with it then why do you want to keep both published? There is a process for editing a story and replacing it (see FAQ). The edited version will keep the same score, comments, views, etc.
I tend to agree. Keeping both seems pointless in the bigger scheme of things.

While you could theoretically submit a second version, calling it something "Dear Daddy CH1 - redux" or "Dear Daddy ch1 v2", it would likely just confuse readers and turn them off to your inability to commit to one version versus the other.

Submit the new version as "Dear Daddy ch1 - EDIT" and the original will be cleanly replaced with the new one and everything will remain as it was from a comments and score perspective.

I agree with the above. I fully understand the need to simply not throw things away that you've poured your creative efforts into, but it doesn't have to be in public. Keep the original for yourself, and put on the best face for your story where it can be appreciated if that's what you feel you need to do.

(If you replace the original, I suggest adding a note at the top mentioning that. I definitely re-read old favorites from time to time and would be confused if something were not as I remembered it.)

Last I experienced, no, Laurel didn't want two versions of the same story in the story file.
It's kind of a judgment call. I have a few stories I rewrote and then posted on other sites. There are maybe a half-dozen of those. There are also a couple of those on Lit. How drastically different are they from the original? Quite a bit, but they recycle some plot elements and dialogue. Those were a couple of years ago, and no one noticed. I don't think Laurel could possibly have the time to check any of that. For a single story, which you are considering, definitely use a different title if you really want to keep the old one.

Don't do that kind of thing constantly (few people would) and thus you won't have to sweat it.

P.S.: There are two stories here I did replace with one new one, and it grew into a series eventually.

(If you replace the original, I suggest adding a note at the top mentioning that. I definitely re-read old favorites from time to time and would be confused if something were not as I remembered it.)
That's okay if you are truly replacing the old one. You just told the readers what you did, so they shouldn't be that confused. It will likely only be a handful of people anyway.

I agree with the above. I fully understand the need to simply not throw things away that you've poured your creative efforts into, but it doesn't have to be in public. Keep the original for yourself, and put on the best face for your story where it can be appreciated if that's what you feel you need to do.
I think the reason I would love to have both up there is that it feels like lying to the audience that the new version was my original vision. As a reader I find it interesting to see how a writer has progressed. It is part of the joy of following certain authors. To pretend that the original didn’t exist feels disingenuous

If it's a total rewrite, I can see your point on that. My thinking (about my own works) is the first chapter was before I honed my writing skills, and I'd sort of like a redo without changing the introduction beyond better words and sentence structure.

That's the other hazard - style maturity. First chapter is suddenly way better than the original, then it drops into the subsequent material with a less-refined style.

I think the reason I would love to have both up there is that it feels like lying to the audience that the new version was my original vision. As a reader I find it interesting to see how a writer has progressed. It is part of the joy of following certain authors. To pretend that the original didn’t exist feels disingenuous
I rewrote one of my stories and kept the original up. They are different enough that they they stand on their own, and they are different categories.

I'm thinking of doing a rewrite on another story, but I have enough in my queue that it will be a while, if I ever do.

If it's a total rewrite, I can see your point on that. My thinking (about my own works) is the first chapter was before I honed my writing skills, and I'd sort of like a redo without changing the introduction beyond better words and sentence structure.

That's the other hazard - style maturity. First chapter is suddenly way better than the original, then it drops into the subsequent material with a less-refined style.
That is a great point. Chapter 4 of that series is the best rated and I think it is because my writing was a lot better at that point. I wouldn’t want to disappoint readers if the writing got worse as the series progressed

I am in the process of rewriting a story I submitted in the 750 word challenge last year into a full length version. When it’s nearing the finish line I’m going to take down the 750 worder and put a note on my profile page letting readers know. I don’t really think many will miss it. I plan to post the revised version as a new story.

It's kind of a judgment call. I have a few stories I rewrote and then posted on other sites.
But did you get a second version posted here at Literotica? That's the question. When, in the sr71plt account, I submitted an expanded version of a story, and Laurel said I could only keep one version of it in the story file. She ultimately let there be an original and an expanded version (https://www.literotica.com/s/silass-choice-expanded)--I don't remember the reasoning I used--but the principle was that you couldn't have more than one version of the story in the Literotica file.

Last edited:
But did you get a second version posted here at Literotica? That's the question. When, in the sr71plt account, I submitted an expanded version of a story, and Laurel said I could only keep one version of it in the story file. She ultimately let there be an original and an expanded version (https://www.literotica.com/s/silass-choice-expanded)--I don't remember the reasoning I used--but the principle was that you couldn't have more than one version of the story in the Literotica file.
Yes, I've done that a couple of times, using new titles. I wrote to the OP: "There are also a couple of those on Lit. How drastically different are they from the original? Quite a bit, but they recycle some plot elements and dialogue. Those were a couple of years ago, and no one noticed. . . For a single story, which you are considering, definitely use a different title if you really want to keep the old one."

That was several years ago. I wouldn't recommend doing it very often, however. But nobody ever mentioned it to me. For anybody to catch it, they would have to read it and think, "This guy used a similar plot line eighteen months ago (or whatever it was)."

Actually, this is probably what I should have done, but I was young (64 or so) and foolish. "I'll never do it again, officer, I promise." I probably thought that a new title would bring in new readers (I guess it did) - although I think we can change the title too.

Hi all,

I’ve been writing on lit for 16 years now and I’ve been tempted to rewrite one of my first stories, Dear Daddy ch 1. After a long gap I went back and made that story into a series but I feel like that first chapter isn’t as good as the rest.

Is it possible to rewrite the story but keep both posted? Maybe having the title of the reworked story be Dear Daddy chapter 1 (2024 edition). Is that allowed?
I say this every time folk start fussing with old stories, wanting to rewrite them, edit them, whatever - put the energy into a new story. That way you have two stories, not just the one. The old story is what it is, "writer then." If the theme is so good, write a new riff on it, "writer now.

A sixteen year old story is a different thing, different time, surely? Leave that one be, write something new.

Back