PF's house of horror (.. films)

Just watched Kermode again. Perfect. If you want another laugh watch his review of Pain & Gain on YouTube. I've never seen the film but the review is classic.
I used to follow the critical drinker until he went from honest reviewer to just whining about women in movies and other woke stuff to the point he's just as bad in the other direction.

But I really wish he would do the Believer because I'll listen to anyone tear that up.

Kermode is hit or miss with me, but I guess that's the case with anyone based on if they're praising something you don't like, or trashing what you do. His blasting of the Conjuring some time back put me off. Other than the Exorcist which he's obsessed with( as much as I am) I don't feel he gets horror all that well

If you want to check out a great horror reviewer, take a look at Ryan Hollinger, he has some great insights.

https://www.youtube.com/@RyanHollinger

If you like old b or slasher movies reviewed with bad jokes, this guy is great

https://www.youtube.com/@TheHorrorGeek

Last edited:
Skinimark and Infinity Pool sucked.

The new Evil Dead was great.
Talk to Me and No One Will Help You are awesome.
They Cloned Tyrone was weird but fun.

Just watched Dead End and it was lovely.

r/horror @Reddit has some good discussion as well.

The Fall of the House of Usher (series )is phenomenal.

Skinimark and Infinity Pool sucked.

The new Evil Dead was great.
Talk to Me and No One Will Help You are awesome.
They Cloned Tyrone was weird but fun.

Just watched Dead End and it was lovely.
Infinity Pool! Forgot about that, still mean to see it. I loooved the idea behind Skinamarink but very much amateur arthouse/never intended to be viewed by that many people. Viral success is a weird thing. I'd love to put the same concept in the hands of a more experienced writer/director.. less weird shots of nothing, more actual stuff.
(I do kinda love the looping cartoon though)

Looking forward to this, thank you!

I'm working my way through it right now. Not sure if I'd call it horror, at least not in the traditional sense. But it is very good. My favorite of Flanagan's mini-series, and I've liked all of the other ones. It helps you pick up on all the in-jokes if you've read a lot of Poe, but I'm sure it is just as great even if you miss those little winks.

I'm working my way through it right now. Not sure if I'd call it horror, at least not in the traditional sense. But it is very good. My favorite of Flanagan's mini-series, and I've liked all of the other ones. It helps you pick up on all the in-jokes if you've read a lot of Poe, but I'm sure it is just as great even if you miss those little winks.
The Poe references are great.

Stayed at a hotel with a smart tv this weekend. A former guest had left their Peacock sign-in so I did watch it. It started out pretty spooky and good and by the time it ended it felt more like a kids’ Scooby Doo movie. “Old man Jenkins!” “Dangnabbit!” I still enjoyed the premise of an animatronic Chucky Cheese type band scenario. I watched it and liked it at the time. I heard the video game is pretty scary. But it lost a bit of steam in the second half. Doubt they’ll build a franchise out of this. But was kind of fun.

I heard they’ll be another Beetlejuice. That seems interesting. Will they recast Michael Keaton? He was an ancient looking zombie dude. I’d like to see more of that crazy Keaton humor and over the top energy. The casting was everything in the first one.

Keep meaning to watch it again! Did I hear they're making a sequel?

And, did anyone see Five Nights At Freddy's or did we all skip it? 😉
I haven't heard of a sequel to it - but that would be great! I watched Five Nights at Freddy's - it was average, unless you're a fan of the game. It did pretty good at respecting the game's lore. Willy's Wonderland with Nick Cage might have been more fun. IDK.

I heard they’ll be another Beetlejuice. That seems interesting. Will they recast Michael Keaton? He was an ancient looking zombie dude. I’d like to see more of that crazy Keaton humor and over the top energy. The casting was everything in the first one.
I'm quite excited for another Beetlejuice! Maybe not as out-and-out horror, but as a fun movie. The cast looks good, Burton's on board, Elfman's got the music, should just be a "sit back and enjoy" moment 🥰

I grew up on
Nightmare On Elm Street
Friday the 13th
Halloween
Hellraiser

IMHO nothing compares.
Some decent old school slashers there! Hellraiser is a weird one, it looks so funny in 2023 but that's definitely part of its charm. The design on those Cenobites is pure gold.

Willy's Wonderland with Nick Cage might have been more fun. IDK.
On my watch list! I enjoy the modern era of Cage where movie makers can just pitch madlibs like "Nicolas Cage is a <?> who goes <?> in a <?> with <?>"

FFNAF was super fun!
I do kinda want to see it! My expectations are so low I think it would be a pleasant surprise. And eh, I hear it's full of plotholes but plot isn't its main draw..

Just finished "Dr. Sleep." (I'm on a Mike Flanagan bender.) Allegedly it is a sequel to "The Shining," although there isn't much to connect it until the ending. Still, quite good in its own right, and doesn't require you to have seen the earlier one.

Back