PF's house of horror (.. films)

positiveflirt

Come and get me
I couldn't find a thread on excellent horror films that hadn't mothballed so screw it, here's another.

I love horror, the best ones get under the skin in a personal way, the worst ones are just hilarious.

So here's a thread I'll try and keep updated on the best (or worst) of what's floating around. Gimme your bests, worsts, things that made you sleep with the light on and upcoming stuff you can't wait to see.

Or don't and this will be a thread of one person talking to himself 👻☠️

No spoilers please etc

Whenever I give a top 10 I'm always like "oh in no particular order.." but this is always the first film on the list so Ring/Ringu must be #1, right?

Outline is: watch a cursed video, die of perfect fright in exactly seven days. Good dependable efficiency.

This kicked off a love of asian horror for me, amazing stalker/supernatural psychology and oh boy, if old wells turn you on do I have a film for you. It spawned about 10 different sequels and adaptations (maybe more, many terrible) but this remains the best by a mile. Though I hear the original US remake was pretty good too..

Ah dammit, now I'm thinking about favourite films I'm disclosing one more for now:

If you like horror have you seen Host? Because you should give Host a go. Why? Because it's set up like a Zoom call, they shot it over lockdown, it's one hour long (because no one wants to be on zoom longer than an hour), they're all 100% committed and it's tense, really tense. Multiple scenes happening on one screen? Yes please.

Outline is: online seance? What could go wrong? Apart from everything..

Don't you just hate it when you're a kid, and there's random knocking in your walls, and your parents are acting weird?

(Looking forward to this one..)

We saw Insidious: Red Door last night and really thought it was good! You never know with the franchises when you’re getting 3+ films deep. It exceeded our expectations.
Good to know! I've only seen the first one and bits of the third one.. so if we stick to the "odd numbers only" rule I can watch this fifth one..

(But first I'm seeing Barbie tonight.)

Most of the supposed horror films now are imo lame or using 200 litres of fake blood to try and give us the gore scare factor.

Some of my favorites...

From dusk till dawn 1996

The shining 1980

Hellraiser 1987

Silence of the lambs 1991

Saw 2004

Candyman 1992

Kill bill but not rarely sure if its horror or action lol

Dreamcatcher 2003

Some of my favorites...
From dusk till dawn 1996
The shining 1980
Hellraiser 1987
Silence of the lambs 1991
Saw 2004
Candyman 1992
Kill bill but not rarely sure if its horror or action lol
Dreamcatcher 2003
Sturdy list!
That Candyman is superb, if I'm channel hopping and it's on, I'll stick with it wherever in the film it is. Gotta be Virginia Madsen's best performance.
Plus the whole thing looks so damn grubby, I'm all in favour of a horror film that makes me want to shower clean afterwards 🙃

Ok crew, let's talk guilty pleasures. You know it, something cheesy/of questionable quality that you love nonetheless. One of my favourite horrors is a creepy sci-fi which became some kind of cult favourite: Event Horizon.

Is it bad? Nah, not really, it's a bunch of futuristic fun about a spaceship that goes missing fully helmed, then reappears years later totally empty.

It's very, very Alien. The finished product is as much sci-fi thriller as it is horror, but that's because the original cut they screened for audiences was rejected as too grisly and they cut back on a lot of the dark bits. It has a beautiful lack of regard for space, too. At one point a window smashes on the ship and a really strong breeze blows through. Classic. I could watch it weekly forever.

I loved the old TV series...like Night Stalker. Way better than Scooby-Doo

The Others (Nicole Kidman as a devoutly religious mother of 2)
psychologically super creepy

Get Out (young couple go to girl's home to meet her family)
IT
Us
World War Z

War of the Worlds (original and Tom Cruise version)
the original Carrie movie
the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie
The Shining
Psycho
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
The Birds
Jaws

and for fun: Zombieland (+sequel) and Shaun of the Dead (+other cornetto movies)

almost anything creepy with kids in is automatically 10 times creepier

Last edited:
Good list, but especially Us. I *loved* that film, so well paced and so, so darkly funny, and surprisingly emotional in bits. Everyone pulling double shifts was great, Lupita especially 😍

JP's doing good work! (As well as being hilarious)

Is anyone watching the horror tv show from? I've just finished the first season.

For a change I was semi impressed.

Why ?

Because I have become disillusioned with most of the horror tv shows from the last 5 years or more.

Mainly because they're so predictable or you spend 3 seasons not even seeing the monsters.

Ooh look. A shaking bush and some melodramatic "scary" music and very little lighting.

Omg I'm so scared. Not. Lol

Seeing the "monsters" in from (the tv show) and the constant wtf is going on is impressive so far.

BUT it could be because I am desperate for decent horror too so my standards might be lowered. 😁

I'm open to suggestions if anyone would like to share for tv shows or movies.

Signed

desperately seeking decent horror.

😱

I saw the new Insidious film the other night. Not bad at all. Creepy scene with an MRI. If I ever have to have one of those I'll remember that fucking bit. 🙄
Hahah. I'm all for making MRIs more interesting. If I'm not allowed to bop along to the industrial noises, may as well get haunted.. 👻🪦

Is anyone watching the horror tv show from? I've just finished the first season.
I'll check it out! It's advertised over here occasionally.

Did you watch that adaption of Haunting Of Hill House? That's been the only thing I've watched on TV spook-wise that I can recommend.
Horror TV is pretty hard to master in my opinion. Much easier to creep someone out for a couple of hours than week after week (he says, from experience 👻)

Back