Need a realistic vehicle for someone to own during the early 1970s

Since you mentioned this, I would never drive at 150 mph except with a car modified for it, and on a closed track. Also, my own skills couldn't cope with it. You'll notice that stock cars are a long way from the original vehicle. At that speed if the smallest thing goes wrong. . .

And oh, you just passed a state trooper waiting for such a situation. Those guys do know how to drive fast, and they can bring in a lot of back-up as needed.
You know, sometimes in the right car, on the right stretch of road; when the conditions are perfect... Well, it's like sex. When the stars align, it just happens.

You know, sometimes in the right car, on the right stretch of road; when the conditions are perfect... Well, it's like sex. When the stars align, it just happens.
I've hit about 95 at night in a Volkswagen Golf. It was Route 21 north of Newark. But I didn't do it for long. My reaction times might have failed me if I had overtaken a slow-moving tractor-trailer, or a disabled car left in the road. That last situation almost got me on another highway. That car had no lights or blinkers, and the road lighting was pretty bad.

I've hit about 95 at night in a Volkswagen Golf. It was Route 21 north of Newark. But I didn't do it for long. My reaction times might have failed me if I had overtaken a slow-moving tractor-trailer, or a disabled car left in the road. That last situation almost got me on another highway. That car had no lights or blinkers, and the road lighting was pretty bad.
I once hit 72 in a beat up, six shades of blue, POS Volkswagen Beetle with a broken speedometer cable.

When the cop that puled me over told me how fast I was going, I looked him dead in the eyes;
"Officer, I swear I'm not being a smart ass, but look at this car."
He stepped back and looked from bumper to bumper, "You've got a point. Drive safe."
We both chuckled and went our own ways.

120 in a VW Sciracco on I-81. Buddy was graduating (he is actually a rocket scientist btw) and we were test driving cars. That little bugger could really git. Close to 100 in a '65 Mustang convertible.

My first was a '74 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. I never pulled anything with it, but it had a 350, so I'm sure it could have. One time I hit 120mph. It was on a small rural road out in the middle of nowhere.

Scout by International Harvester:

Made from 1960 to 1980. Forerunner to the Blazer, Jimmy and what came after. In the news again recently because VW is planning a battery version.

Without looking through the thread my suggestions would be

Chevy Malibu
Chevy Nova
El Camino

"No" on the VW and Vega towing a trailer. I have firsthand accounts of U-Haul lot managers discouraging if not refusing to rent to customers with under-powered subcompacts. Especially anything with a manual transmission, which were still common in that era and most common on subcompacts.

I'm with Shakespeare - Malibu 4-door would be perfect if we're talking about a young person (U-Haul sort of implies that) or couple. An inexpensive mid-size like a Malibu or a Ford Maverick (ugly!) would fit the bill. Plymouth Valiant if they were struggling with money.

Signed, Car Guy in the Early '70s. ;)
Vega, Maverick, and Valiant are in the same class.

My family had a 60's version Chevy Impala (similar to the Winchesters' car on Supernatural) in the late 60s and 70s; I put a lot of miles on it toward the end of the 70s and into the early 80s. The Malibu mentioned was smaller and might have struggled going uphill with the U-Haul trailer, but the Impala, particularly an older, well-used one, properly equipped wouldn't have had any trouble except for going up mountains.
Malibu and Impala are the same car.

^^^^
70 Impala

manufactured by Chevrolet (USA) in United States

70 Malibu

To the OP. I would want to know more about who would be the owner or driver of said ‘70’s car? Who are they, what could they afford? Did they borrow or steal the car, etc.

Very similar, true, and sharing some components, but different as the information that jaF0 posted shows (look at the exterior size in particular) for the 1970 version.

You may be thinking of the Chevelle. The Malibu was originally a trim level of the Chevelle, which was also a little smaller than the Impala.

You mean the Caprice and the Impala were basically the same car. Other trim levels that existed for that chassis were the Bel Air and the Biscayne. The Chevelle and Malibu, as mentioned above, were different names for the mid-size Chevy car. I think all are out of production now. The American companies are concentrating on SUVs and pick-ups.

^^^^
70 Impala

manufactured by Chevrolet (USA) in United States

70 Malibu
Yes, one could get a three-speed manual gearbox. Almost all cars before the 1940's had them, with the shifter usually being on the steering column. However, they were pretty rare by the 1970's. I never saw or drove one. There was an interest later in four and five-speed manuals with a floor-mounted shift. (I think many sports cars always had that.) The majority of cars still had automatics, however. In fact, I wonder what proportion of American drivers even know how to use them.

If EVs ever became the norm (I have some doubts about that), that will be the end of transmissions as we know them.

Very similar, true, and sharing some components, but different as the information that jaF0 posted shows (look at the exterior size in particular) for the 1970 version.

You may be thinking of the Chevelle. The Malibu was originally a trim level of the Chevelle, which was also a little smaller than the Impala.
Yep
You mean the Caprice and the Impala were basically the same car. Other trim levels that existed for that chassis were the Bel Air and the Biscayne. The Chevelle and Malibu, as mentioned above, were different names for the mid-size Chevy car. I think all are out of production now. The American companies are concentrating on SUVs and pick-ups.
And Yep.

Yes, one could get a three-speed manual gearbox. Almost all cars before the 1940's had them, with the shifter usually being on the steering column. However, they were pretty rare by the 1970's. I never saw or drove one.
In the days of frequently larger families and no minivans and relatively few three-row vehicles (mostly station wagons, Suburbans, and full-size vans), many cars had bench front seats for three passengers so the manual gearshift on the column was very common. The gearshift on the column and the corresponding clutch might be features to include in a line in the proposed story to give it a bit more authenticity.

In the days of frequently larger families and no minivans and relatively few three-row vehicles (mostly station wagons, Suburbans, and full-size vans), many cars had bench front seats for three passengers so the manual gearshift on the column was very common. The gearshift on the column and the corresponding clutch might be features to include in a line in the proposed story to give it a bit more authenticity.
Nice observation. (Now, sorry for the digression...)

This practice even drifted into non-US waters. Probably for the first (and last) time, Mercedes copied an American practice, and put a four speed column shifter on its early sixties 220 model (also copying the 'fins' on the rear of cars common in the late, baroque era of big 50s american cars.) In all of these, the shifter linkages were terrible - sloppy, prone to all sorts of problems, with lots of moving parts, suffering from distance to transmission, etc.

In the 1960's and '70's (yes, when I young) I lived in a big city where manuals were difficult to use in stop and go traffic. I don't remember anybody I knew who had one on a passenger car; I barely knew they existed. Few "regular" people owned vans or what's now called "SUVs." I did know that most trucks, from mid-sized (40-foot or so) up to tractor-trailers had them. I guess many tradesmen had them on their vans, but I never saw the inside of one.

I do remember front bench seats very well. All the cars my parents owned had them. The automatics were usually marked as PRDSL. They didn't know the S and L meant that you could downshift to second or first gear, say when going down a steep hill. I don't think that was ever taught in driving schools. Forward and backwards was all they cared about.

Back