StillStunned's collection of useful pointers for writers

StillStunned

Writing...
Loads of writers here say they struggle with their language usage, grammar, or comma use. Some deny it. But I've seen plenty of stories here on Lit that would have benefitted from a few useful pointers. At the same time, many of us decry the use of AI tools to help writers with these basic elements of writing. So how about we actually help those who are struggling? Let's put together a thread of useful pointers - not the stuff you learned in school, but the practical things that writers should know.

My credentials: I have an MA in English Language and Literature, and (having double-checked) more than 25 years' experience as a language professional, working as an editor and proofreader at the highest level (right up to the EU). I'm not saying I'm perfect, or even that I remember the precise grammatical rules anymore, but I can definitely give some useful tips to anyone who cares to use them.

First up: commas

I won't go into the issue of Oxford commas, or "you should never use a comma if you can avoid it". That's a rule from school, and really has little to do with the practicalities of online writing. The fact is that here, for today's readership, you need to present your information in small useful bites.

That said, there are a couple of things that are sloppy and even downright bad English.

The first is not to separate your subject from your verb. Even if your subject is something like "the woman whose brother went to school with me back when I was in my twenties", you don't end that little snippet with a comma *if you're following it immediately with your verb*. So, "The woman whose brother went to school with me back when I was in my twenties turned to look at me." No comma between "twenties" and "turned". This is a simple trick that will make your writing look much more professional straight away.

This is different if you want to insert a relative clause - a piece of information that qualifies your subject. "The woman whose brother went to school with me back when I was in my twenties, who turned to look at me when I entered, was as beautiful as I remembered." This extra information could also have been put in brackets (or parentheses, for our US brethren). If you can leave it out and still have a complete sentence, include a comma at the beginning and at the end. Don't write, "The woman whose brother went to school with me back when I was in my twenties, who turned to look at me when I entered was as beautiful as I remembered." (See how I omitted the second comma?)

Simple tricks, easy to bear in mind as you do your review. Don't put a comma between your subject and your verb, unless there are two commas and you could replace them with brackets/parentheses.

Here's another: rein/reign/rain

You rein in something, like emotions, or a friend. Imagine you're pulling on the reins of a horse, trying to slow it down.

You reign supreme over something. Your let your behaviour be reigned by your feelings. This is from what a ruler does, Latin: regnum (from which we get "rex" and "regina" for king and queen).

You rain hell down on someone. Your tears rain down. It's a general downpour that covers everything.

This thread is intended to be helpful. I'm not sneering at anyone. I genuinely think all of us here possess a better understanding of the craft of writing than any AI generator could ever hope to provide. If we're going to say that people shouldn't use AI tools to improve their writing, the very least we can do is help those writers so they don't feel they need to depend on them.

Feel free to add your own tips and suggestions. Just try to keep it friendly and helpful, please!

Present: . . Past: . . Past participle:
Lie . . . . . . Lay . . . . . . Lain
Lay . . . . . . Laid . . . . . . Laid

First row has no object, second does.

We lie in bed now.
We lay in bed yesterday.
We have lain in bed often.

I lay you down now.
I laid you down yesterday.
I have laid you down often.

Gets me every time. I have this grid taped to my computer.

Lie . . . . Lay . . . . Lain
Lay . . . . Laid . . . . Laid

First row has no object, second does.

We lie in bed now.
We lay in bed yesterday.
We have lain in bed often.

I lay you down now.
I laid you down yesterday.
I have laid you down often.

Gets me every time. I have this grid taped to my computer.
You need to get laid 🤣

bite me...bight me, they gotta be kept straight. It's the difference between a masochist and a rope buddy.

Comshaw

Last edited:
Slightly concerned @StillStunned why your protagonist was still at school in their 20's. I know we have an 18 thing...but that is stretching it...just how stupid are they to never leave? 😇😇

Unless they were a teacher?

"I was was surprised by the woman as she enjoyed entered. Her brother taught at the same school as me back when I was in my twenties."

Slightly concerned @StillStunned why your protagonist was still at school in their 20's. I know we have an 18 thing...but that is stretching it...just how stupid are they to never leave? 😇😇
Stupid... or brilliant? Never leave school, never grow up, never have responsibilities...

That said, where I live it's perfectly possible - or it was in my day - to still be at school in your twenties. Depending on the type of education and the route you take to get there.

The one that gets a lot of people (I do it often, more as a typo than through lack of knowledge) is "its" vs "it's".

"it's" is an abbreviation for "it is"
"its" is the possessive

The one that gets a lot of people (I do it often, more as a typo than through lack of knowledge) is "its" vs "it's".

"it's" is an abbreviation for "it is"
"its" is the possessive
It took me a long time to wrap my head around the apostrophe usage with this. I still need to break it down to get it right. Most of the time it's is the correct usage.

Can we add style tips in addition to grammar tips?

Pacing. A good story moves slowly at some points and quickly at others, and good prose can enhance or even signal that. Mixing up the lengths of sentences, the length of paragraphs, can be used to reflect the speed the story is going at.

Short, choppy sentences and brief paragraphs make the story feel more intense. It adds energy to a scene. The reader feels rushed. They feel like things are moving.

Then, after a high energy scene, the reader needs a break, a chance to catch their breath and wind down . Long passages with flowing prose made of more complex sentences can be that breather. Or they can be the lull before the storm.

Bonus, the pacing of the prose can relieve the burden of finding words to indicate the speed or intensity of a scene.

Lie . . . . . . Lay . . . . . . Lain
Lay . . . . . . Laid . . . . . . Laid
I thought this was a British/US thing? A Brit will say, "I was lying in bed." An American will say, "I was laying in bed."

Or am I mistaken, is it wrong in USian too?

It took me a long time to wrap my head around the apostrophe usage with this. I still need to break it down to get it right. Most of the time it's is the correct usage.
Even with all my professional experience, I still make the same mistake. Probably because nearly all my work is in professional writing, where contractions are a bit of a no-no, so I don't get as much practice with them as with other aspects of writing.

I usually catch them during the final check, though. They're pretty glaring when you're reading/editing, even if you slip up when you're writing.

there is good info in this thread - I am learning some new stuff lol - but what if people learn all this and then try to post a story with no errors and they get rejected because it looks like they used ai because the story has no errors. If I was to try to write something - lolol I know - I would leave all the errors in. Readers might not like it but I probably wouldn't be rejected for ai use so it's like a rock and a hard place you know?
I don't think writing without errors will get your story flagged.

Note that I'm not saying that every sentence needs to be grammatically correct: subject + verb + object, that kind of stuff. It's perfectly fine for non-fiction writing, if not actually mandatory. But for fiction it makes your writing very flat and artificial. You need to break up your complete sentences with fragments, and you need to know where and how.

But that's not what this thread is for (at least not so far - we all know that threads tend to veer off course pretty quickly). I'm not sure I'm the right person to be giving tips on style anyway, considering that I'm a relative newcomer and plenty of people here have managed perfectly well without me.

What I want is to help writers learn the mechanics and become confident in their own mastery of English. That way, they won't have to rely on tools that might take things too far and make their writing sound forced.

I thought this was a British/US thing? A Brit will say, "I was lying in bed." An American will say, "I was laying in bed."

Or am I mistaken, is it wrong in USian too?
The problem with "lying in bed"...you have to question was the protagonist was saying is the truth?

My characters tend to be so drunk they end up sprawled or passed out in bed :)

Does anyone know the explanation for this:

Did not = didn't
Can not = can't
Will not = won't (Why not "willn't")

[just having some fun with English]

Back