StillStunned's collection of useful pointers for writers

Silicon instead of Silicone; an easy but tragic mistake.
For my recent troll story I wanted them to be made of silicon, but I got confused with silicon and started doubting myself. In the end I just went with "rock". Silicon would probably have been too close to Pterry's trolls anyway.

jade eggs?
It's a great conversation starter, "You'll never guess where this has been."

Nothing suspicious about my silence. It has been a tough Autumn and it looks to be an even tougher Winter.

Who was talking about jade eggs anyway?

Ach! I've stumbled into a grammar conversation.

Nerrrrrrrrrrrrd.

Iambic Pentameter is where it's at.
I'm strictly an alliterative poetry man. Four stressed syllables per line, one or more of the first, second and fourth stressed syllables have to alliterate with the third.

Arise, arise, riders of Theoden!

I'm strictly an alliterative poetry man. Four stressed syllables per line, one or more of the first, second and fourth stressed syllables have to alliterate with the third.

Arise, arise, riders of Theoden!

Where now are the horse and the rider?
Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk,
and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the harp on the harpstring,
and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest
and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain,
like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West
behind the hills into shadow.
Who shall gather the smoke
of the deadwood burning,
Or behold the flowing years
from the Sea returning?

I really need to go and read the Two Towers again.

The Rohirrim were my favourites, Not just because of Eowyn.

Stern now was Éomer's mood, and his mind clear again. He let blow the horns to rally all men to his banner that could come thither; for he thought to make a great shield-wall at the last, and stand, and fight there on foot till all fell, and do deeds of song on the fields of Pelennor, though no man should be left in the West to remember the last King of the Mark. So he rode to a green hillock and there set his banner, and the White Horse ran rippling in the wind.

The Rohirrim were my favourites, Not just because of Eowyn.
But mostly because of Eowyn right?

That scene in the movie, right before the charge, where Eowyn tightens her arms around Merry and says, "Courage Merry. Courage for our friends."
Gets me every time 😭😭😭

Anywho, to get back on topic. What are peoples' thoughts on interrobanging?

I don't necessarily mean the ‽, which should be killed with fire. I'm talking about the saner version of the punctation - ?!, !? ?!?, etc...

Which comes first the ? or the !, and how many marks is too many? Or do you even interrobang?

I don't necessarily mean the ‽, which should be killed with fire. I'm talking about the saner version of the punctation - ?!, !? ?!?, etc...

Which comes first the ? or the !, and how many marks is too many? Or do you even interrobang?
It feels awkward to use. Like using multiple bangs for emphasis.

I honestly can't recall if I use it or not. I imagine I probably have, but only in very specific situations. I would say, ideally, context and the actual dialog should do the work of any emphasis, but I suppose sometimes some extra punctuation might be called for.

?! makes more sense to me than !? - the function being to add emphasis to a question, as opposed to... adding question to an emphasis? And I would bristle I think at using more than is absolutely necessary. Draw the line at one of each.

I use ?! occasionally, generally to indicate that a question is asked incredulously, such as, "How did you get a lightbulb stuck in your ass?!"
I have probably used !? as well, if more rarely, to imply that the speaker's statement includes some measure of doubt, i.e., "You've got to be kidding!?"
It's arguably unnecessary, but I still like them.

Back