Punctuation checker

I have just submitted a new story. I had writers block since the last one in April last year. The new one is a continuation of 'Chloe's New Boarding School'.
I found a site that will check punctuation (I find errors in punctuation so hard to see), and I ran the new story through it. It seemed to be a useful tool.
Do other writers use the new AI tools?
Grammerly is good at spotting errors in grammar, but always suggests removing commas between phrases which I do not like.
Any ideas?

Do other writers use the new AI tools?
Avoid using the AI features for work posted here.

Grammerly is good at spotting errors in grammar, but always suggests removing commas between phrases which I do not like.
Any ideas?
Grammarly is designed for business communications, so some of the suggestions don't work for fiction prose, especially dialog.

For basic grammar, it's good. You can accept or reject any of the suggestions.

Also an editor function that goes through it questioning all your grammar and stuff!
it took me forever to get Editor working the way I wanted, but the nice thing is that you can customize the editor.

Punctuation checker​

I don’t use anything bar the cut-down and frankly pretty crap spellcheck in Word 365 on my phone.

My grammar and punctuation may be bad as a result. But have never had anything sent back for potentially being AI written. I think these things are connected.

I like my writing to be my work (with input from alpha and beta readers).

Emily

I use Grammarly and ignore the suggested corrections that I don't want. Sometimes I'll run a paragraph through QuilBot's checker as well. They don't always agree.

I use the editing/proofing functions that come with MS Word. It can be adjusted for the type of writing that you are doing. I've used Grammerly, too. I find them to be useful for catching errors, but not necessarily for editing recommendations. They're tools, not substitutes.

(with input from alpha and beta readers)
This is the first time I've heard the concept of an alpha reader mentioned. I'm picturing someone who chivvies a reading circle along and makes sure that everyone's read the books and participates in the discussion. And that no-one reads anything inappropriate, of course.

This is the first time I've heard the concept of an alpha reader mentioned. I'm picturing someone who chivvies a reading circle along and makes sure that everyone's read the books and participates in the discussion. And that no-one reads anything inappropriate, of course.
You’re the expert, but (as I understand it) a beta reviews a finished story. An alpha reads as you write (so what @Djmac1031 and I do is probably best described as alpha-reading, as we review section by section as the other writes).

YMMV

Emily

You’re the expert, but (as I understand it) a beta reviews a finished story. An alpha reads as you write (so what @Djmac1031 and I do is probably best described as alpha-reading, as we review section by section as the other writes).

YMMV

Emily
That sounds logical. A bit prosaic, perhaps, but logical.

Come to think of it, an alpha reader would be someone who hogs all the biggest stories for themselves. You see that walking around, clutching the entire Wheel of Time series to their chest.

YMMV

Emily

I've probably been mistakenly referring to it as "beta" reading this whole time, but whatever label, the idea obviously is to have someone else looking the story over before it's published, offering feedback and suggestions and of course helping to spot errors like typos or improper punctuation etc.

That sounds logical. A bit prosaic, perhaps, but logical.

Come to think of it, an alpha reader would be someone who hogs all the biggest stories for themselves. You see that walking around, clutching the entire Wheel of Time series to their chest.
The terms "alpha" and "beta" come from software testing:
1707924397249.png
https://www.guru99.com/alpha-beta-testing-demystified.html

My friend TM is my alpha-reader. I send him sections of the story as I complete them. His feedback is hugely important to me. When I get a story idea, I'm full of enthusiasm for writing it down. My stories are usually 6+ pages, so I start running out of steam after a while. TM's enjoyment of my story helps keep me enthusiastic. Also, I try to work in his suggestions as I write the story.

Once the story is done and cleaned up to the level I would feel fine publishing it, I send it to beta-readers. I sent my last story out to 24 beta-readers. 13 responded with feedback. I try to incorporate every piece of feedback I get from my beta-readers. However, the story is mostly set at this time, so the changes I make based on beta-reader feedback are much smaller than what I make from TM's feedback.

The terms "alpha" and "beta" come from software testing:
View attachment 2317006
https://www.guru99.com/alpha-beta-testing-demystified.html

My friend TM is my alpha-reader. I send him sections of the story as I complete them. His feedback is hugely important to me. When I get a story idea, I'm full of enthusiasm for writing it down. My stories are usually 6+ pages, so I start running out of steam after a while. TM's enjoyment of my story helps keep me enthusiastic. Also, I try to work in his suggestions as I write the story.

Once the story is done and cleaned up to the level I would feel fine publishing it, I send it to beta-readers. I sent my last story out to 24 beta-readers. 13 responded with feedback. I try to incorporate every piece of feedback I get from my beta-readers. However, the story is mostly set at this time, so the changes I make based on beta-reader feedback are much smaller than what I make from TM's feedback.

I don't know TM.

If you use MS Word, Grammarly has a plugin app that runs inside Word, and you can select how levels for creative writing.

But it isn't free. I put ain't free, but the floating Grammarly didn't like ain't. Ain't no big thing. Ignore it.

Back