Hints and tips for navigating the forum side of Literotica - especially for newbies.

AG31

Literotica Guru
I first got involved in Literotica in early 2021 and began posting stories. I dabbled in the forums, but was frequently disoriented and stopped visiting. I started up again a few weeks ago, and this time I logged my confusions and my discoveries. I'm posting them here in hopes that other new visitors will stick with it until they discover what a rich environment it is for talking about erotica and the act of writing it.

I know of at least three other members who dropped out of using the forums because it was too confusing.

Please feel free to make editorial suggestions.

@Laurel, I hope this can be pinned????

How do I log on to literotica.com?

Once you've entered the url (literotica.com), click on "submissions" to get to the logon page.
1.png

There must be a better way, but I don't know what it is. You can also start out on the forum side by entering forum.literotica.com, which takes you directly to a page with a "log in" link.

How do I get from the stories side of Lit. to the forum side?

I know of two ways. Both should preserve your logged in status.
- Type forum.literotica.com in the browser's address field.
- Choose Forum from the bottom of the Explore dropdown. If your resolution is such that it falls below the screen, arrow down, as there's no scroll bar.
2.png

How do you get your profile, messages and bell icons to show after you've logged on to the forum side?

The bell icon tells you if you have any new alerts, so it's usually the first thing you look for. But it won't be visible until you've clicked either on a forum name, or, if your browser automatically dumps you into a forum (see if it appends a forum to the URL), then you have to click on a thread. To make things more confusing, until you've done something to get the icons to show, the Login icon will continue to be visible. So it's easy to think your log on didn't work.

Edit: Different forums behave differently for me. The minute I click on Author's Hangout, my icons appear. But if I click on Story Feedback first, I still have to click on a post. I'll try to find a pattern for this.

Edit again: I just can't find a pattern for when clicking on a forum isn't sufficient and a click on a post is required.
*3*3.png

How do I get from the forum side of Lit. to the stories side?
The only way I know is to type literotica.com in the browser's address field.

I'm in one forum, reading a thread. How do I get back to the forum, or to a different forum?

Click on the desired location in the area started with Home> Forums>
4.png

How can I find/contact an author when I don't see a post or reply from them with their username?

On the forum side, you can use the Search icon to the right of the bell, etc., and enter only the author's name.See question below this one.

On the story side, in the Explore dropdown, arrow down to "Authors"

5.png

Once there, scroll down below the list of categories. There's the search field for a username.
6.png

How do I see everything someone has said in the forums?

7.png

If I answer a post in a long thread, how do I get back to where I was?

Click the little arrow next to the name of the person to whom you're replying.
8.png

There are two versions of the search window. How do I control which one I get?
I believe the simpler one displays when you have not chosen a forum, and the other one displays when you are in a forum.
This one doesn't let you restrict to a forum or thread.
9.png

This one lets you control the scope: Everywhere, This Forum, threads. Sometimes there are more items in the dropdown.
10.png

Continued here: https://forum.literotica.com/threads/hints-and-tips-for-navigating-the-forums-part-2.1597010/

And then here: Hints Part 3 - About finding out about members
Hints Part 3 - About finding out about members

Last edited:
This is helpful. It took me a long time to get this down, and I still think navigation at the site is not quite as intuitive as it could be.

Please don't send solicitation private communications to members of the opposite sex. They aren't usually received with the same enthusiasm with which they are sent. Communicate for some time, get to know them, and if you think they might want to sext, think it over again before sending such a message. And trust me, if she talks like a lesbian, flirts like a lesbian, and says she's married to another woman, she's a lesbian.

Please don't send solicitation private communications to members of the opposite sex. They aren't usually received with the same enthusiasm with which they are sent. Communicate for some time, get to know them, and if you think they might want to sext, think it over again before sending such a message. And trust me, if she talks like a lesbian, flirts like a lesbian, and says she's married to another woman, she's a lesbian.
Was this published in this thread by mistake?

No, this is a common mistake made by forum residents. Mostly made lurkers who don't comment. It is a hint to get along and not make a writer or commenter (who doesn't write) angry.
Ah! Yes, I thought that might be a possibility. Thanks for adding a Hint!

Announcement: There have been several additions to Part 2 in recent weeks.
Kick: For newbies

I first got involved in Literotica in early 2021 and began posting stories. I dabbled in the forums, but was frequently disoriented and stopped visiting. I started up again a few weeks ago, and this time I logged my confusions and my discoveries. I'm posting them here in hopes that other new visitors will stick with it until they discover what a rich environment it is for talking about erotica and the act of writing it.

I know of at least three other members who dropped out of using the forums because it was too confusing.

Once you've entered the url (literotica.com), click on "submissions" to get to the logon page.
View attachment 2276490

There must be a better way, but I don't know what it is. You can also start out on the forum side by entering forum.literotica.com, which takes you directly to a page with a "log in" link.

- Choose Forum from the bottom of the Explore dropdown. If your resolution is such that it falls below the screen, arrow down, as there's no scroll bar.
View attachment 2276492

How do you get your profile, messages and bell icons to show after you've logged on to the forum side?

The bell icon tells you if you have any new alerts, so it's usually the first thing you look for. But it won't be visible until you've clicked either on a forum name, or, if your browser automatically dumps you into a forum (see if it appends a forum to the URL), then you have to click on a thread. To make things more confusing, until you've done something to get the icons to show, the Login icon will continue to be visible. So it's easy to think your log on didn't work.

Edit: Different forums behave differently for me. The minute I click on Author's Hangout, my icons appear. But if I click on Story Feedback first, I still have to click on a post. I'll try to find a pattern for this.

Edit again: I just can't find a pattern for when clicking on a forum isn't sufficient and a click on a post is required.
*3*View attachment 2276493

I'm in one forum, reading a thread. How do I get back to the forum, or to a different forum?

View attachment 2276496

How can I find/contact an author when I don't see a post or reply from them with their username?

On the forum side, you can use the Search icon to the right of the bell, etc., and enter only the author's name.See question below this one.

View attachment 2276497

Once there, scroll down below the list of categories. There's the search field for a username.
View attachment 2276498

View attachment 2276501

View attachment 2276502

I believe the simpler one displays when you have not chosen a forum, and the other one displays when you are in a forum.
View attachment 2276503

This one lets you control the scope: Everywhere, This Forum, threads. Sometimes there are more items in the dropdown.
View attachment 2276505

Continued here: https://forum.literotica.com/threads/hints-and-tips-for-navigating-the-forums-part-2.1597010/

Much appreciated — I’m new, as in I formally signed up recently, though I’ve been reading stories here since at least 2007. This is a new side of things for me and your posts have been informative!

I'll add a couple of hints too.

1. you can copy and paste formatted text into the comment box!

For example, here's a working link I copied from the Similar Threads box below:

Hints and Tips - Part 3 - About "About members"

So, for example, if I want to link one of my own stories, I just copy-paste from my control panel! Speaking of which...

2. Not all links copied from your control panel work for other people.

In particular, the list of published works and the list of comments on a single work are specific to your login. Use your public profile or the public comments page instead if you want to show someone else.

View attachment 2276490

View attachment 2276492

*3*View attachment 2276493

View attachment 2276496

View attachment 2276497

View attachment 2276498

View attachment 2276501

View attachment 2276502

View attachment 2276503

View attachment 2276505

And then here: Hints Part 3 - About finding out about members
Hints Part 3 - About finding out about members
I don’t have the time, but if someone could add screen shots for mobile (and the app) that would add some value.

Emily

Back