Need a realistic vehicle for someone to own during the early 1970s

PantsAndPencils

Good Girl
(Not actually for a lit project but I feel like lit is my best means to access people who might have answers 😅 Hopefully I’m putting this thread in the right place on the forums too.)

I need a vehicle that would be reasonable for someone to own during the early 1970s, and trying to ask Google just spits out vehicles made during those years…but not everyone would own a brand-new car, right? 🧐

I also specifically need it to be a vehicle that would be able to haul a small uhaul trailer—which if I understand correctly *did* exist back then.

So yeah. Any ideas?

We used to own a Ford Pinto back then. Yeah, the special exploding version. We also managed to pull a little U-Haul trailer with it too.

"No" on the VW and Vega towing a trailer. I have firsthand accounts of U-Haul lot managers discouraging if not refusing to rent to customers with under-powered subcompacts. Especially anything with a manual transmission, which were still common in that era and most common on subcompacts.

I'm with Shakespeare - Malibu 4-door would be perfect if we're talking about a young person (U-Haul sort of implies that) or couple. An inexpensive mid-size like a Malibu or a Ford Maverick (ugly!) would fit the bill. Plymouth Valiant if they were struggling with money.

Signed, Car Guy in the Early '70s. ;)

My family had a 60's version Chevy Impala (similar to the Winchesters' car on Supernatural) in the late 60s and 70s; I put a lot of miles on it toward the end of the 70s and into the early 80s. The Malibu mentioned was smaller and might have struggled going uphill with the U-Haul trailer, but the Impala, particularly an older, well-used one, properly equipped wouldn't have had any trouble except for going up mountains.

I drove a 1963 Econoline van, and before that, a 1962 Galaxy 500 XL. I spent a lot of time on a bicycle, as well.

m/f? Single or married? family? location? lots of great options but those are key questions

A general answer would be a Grand Torino. It could be a muscle car, a family sedan and they made a wagon (think Family Truckster from Vacation). Probably not a great pick for a single woman, but for men or families, it would be a good pick.

Classic cross country move could have been A Ford country squire station wagon. Made all through the 70s so pick the year you want

"No" on the VW and Vega towing a trailer. I have firsthand accounts of U-Haul lot managers discouraging if not refusing to rent to customers with under-powered subcompacts. Especially anything with a manual transmission, which were still common in that era and most common on subcompacts.

I'm with Shakespeare - Malibu 4-door would be perfect if we're talking about a young person (U-Haul sort of implies that) or couple. An inexpensive mid-size like a Malibu or a Ford Maverick (ugly!) would fit the bill. Plymouth Valiant if they were struggling with money.

Signed, Car Guy in the Early '70s. ;)
A hideous green Maverick was the vehicle my parents allowed me to drive in the late seventies.

1967 saw some iconic car models of all types. From the sporty Camaro, Firebird, GTO, Roadrunner, and similar, to the larger sedans and coupes from all the manufacturers. Sub-compact pickup trucks from Japan were also starting to make an appearance in the American market.

One of these cars would have been less than three years old in 1970 and still popular. We were still under the influences of a lot of the 60's movements and gas prices were still relatively low. (Avoid those that came only with manual transmissions since these were frowned upon for rental trailers.)

I would base the choice off the character driving it. Their social-economic status, political leanings, adventurousness, and other traits would all impact their choice of vehicle.

I'll vote for the car I had during the 70s, a 1964 Ford Thunderbird. It looked like a spaceship, complete hydraulic everything, V-8, very cheap, and ran well, mostly. I believe they've become somewhat collectible, but back in the day, they were just old, ugly cars that got bad gas mileage.

I'll vote for the car I had during the 70s, a 1964 Ford Thunderbird. It looked like a spaceship, complete hydraulic everything, V-8, very cheap, and ran well, mostly. I believe they've become somewhat collectible, but back in the day, they were just old, ugly cars that got bad gas mileage.
gas mileage wasn't a thing in the 70s. I think I bought gas for 59 cents a gallon. :ROFLMAO:

A super-bug, a lime green Vega, a deep red Trans-Am, a purple Passion Charger, a white Monte Carlo, a bright blue Maverick, or a broken down dull pink Pacer. The choices are endless.
Hah, I think to get a pink Pacer you would have to get it painted; I doubt they came from the factory that way. Also, the first model year was 1975, meaning I think it came out in the fall of 1974. Apparently, you could get bright yellow. Taxi! Well, in Mexico they did use VW Beetles for cabs, which must have been extremely awkward.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0339/0181/files/Pacer_grande.jpg?10256760147995470736

Back