How many young women would you prefer me to write shoeless in a fantasy ancient/medieval story?

1. No one.
2. Just one quirky character.
3. Just a specific category of young women (e.g. elves).
4. All young women except those of high classes (rich families, nobility, and royalty).
5. All young women except those of the royal family.
6. All young women, no exceptions.
7. Other.
I don't mind, as long as bunions and verukas feature prominently

I’d say, anyone with a ‘job’ would have shoes (like farmer, tavern owner, shopkeeper, etc.). The poorest peasants would weave their own shoes from wicker, or go barefoot.

From Wikipedia's page on ‘shoemaking’:

The production of clogs (wooden shoes) was widespread in medieval Europe.

How about you include a cobbler in the village, whittling-up shoes in return for sexual favors? The better the sex, the more intricate his carvings are… starting a competition amongst the women of the village.

Maybe, he gets commissions from the upper-classes, too, when they realize he can carve more than clogs out of his stock of oak?

Yeah. Forget the blacksmith. It’s time to feature the cobbler in some erotica. :)

I like the way you think.

I've spent many an hour staring at their red undersoles
From an article on the red soles of Christian Loubountins's high heels.

In 1993, after being in business for two years, it is said that Christian Louboutin released his latest collection of shoes a few weeks late. The idea had been to create a shoe inspired by close acquaintance (and party buddy) Andy Warhol’s painting, Flowers—and yet when the prototype arrived from Italy, there was something missing.

Certainly, the pink-stacked heel and large cloth blossom looked like the design Louboutin had drawn, and yet according to the designer, “the drawing was still stronger and I could not understand why.”

Enter, the red sole of fate! Looking around for inspiration, the blank, black sole of the shoe staring at him in the face, Louboutin noticed an assistant in his office painting her fingernails red. Without asking – so we can assume – Louboutin grabbed the bottle of red varnish, polished the sole of one of the shoes and thought: “This is the drawing!”

So were Louboutin’s red soles born!

When, in the years since, Christian has been asked about the importance of the red sole, he has been quoted as saying, “The shiny red color of the soles has no function other than to identify to the public that they are mine. I selected the color because it is engaging, flirtatious, memorable, and the color of passion.”

Louboutin is certainly known to be passionate about his red soles, which he registered in 1997 with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office—a move that would later come in handy in a court case against Yves St. Laurent when the design house delivered a collection featuring their own version of Louboutin’s red soles.

Thanks to the existing popularity of the heel, and because of the drama which ensued when YSL was accused of copying Louboutin’s signature, today Louboutin’s red soles are as iconic to his brand as Chanel’s interlocking C’s—and only come in one shade: Pantone 18-1663 TPX.

So this isn't even the tiniest bit "sexy" but it is true that until the early 1800's shoes were not left and right footed... They were all made straight and interchangeable.

Just a funny history fact that probably doesn't effect medieval fantasy stories... (erotic ones least of all) 😆

So this isn't even the tiniest bit "sexy" but it is true that until the early 1800's shoes were not left and right footed... They were all made straight and interchangeable.

Just a funny history fact that probably doesn't effect medieval fantasy stories... (erotic ones least of all) 😆
So, no Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday... on their underwear either, I'm guessing. Kind of takes the fun out of getting dressed.

How about you include a cobbler in the village, whittling-up shoes in return for sexual favors? The better the sex, the more intricate his carvings are… starting a competition amongst the women of the village.

Maybe, he gets commissions from the upper-classes, too, when they realize he can carve more than clogs out of his stock of oak?

Yeah. Forget the blacksmith. It’s time to feature the cobbler in some erotica. :)
Note - in medieval British use, a "cobbler" was somebody who mended shoes, rather than making them. Shoemaking was the job of a "cordwainer".

Back