Surprising score for a story

Brutal_One

Really Really Experienced
I should start this off by saying I am likely to talk about a whole bunch of different things before I get to the OP. Bear with me. Before I forget this is the link to the story in question (and I will have other links to other stories of mine to illustrate the points). This is in no way intended to generate interest.

Here is the link to the story in question. The reason for opening this topic is this story was one I recently had a follow on.

http://literotica.com/s/rod-adventures-ch-23

One of the first things to bring up are the two questions that are related that come up and I think I even opened a post on these. The two questions are “Why do you write?” And “Who do you write for?”

For the the first one is the most important “Why do you write?”. Often the answer is “I write for myself.” This I think is a good answer, an honest answer.

Two of my favourite types of post in AH are “I am looking to write, how should I start?” And “I have just had my first submission story approved”.

I have been fortunate in Lit to have both an editor for a while, and also been an editor for Lit for a while.

So I know a lot of writers that have started, have started on Lit. The AH forum gives a lot of support and great advice. You should all be proud in playing your part in encouraging new writers. The best advice of course is “just do it”, make a start. From the usual “Once upon a time …” or the more interesting “I was leaving my house this morning and a rather unusual thing happened ….”

Then I want to consider the second question. “Who do you write for?” If the answer as I said is you, you presumably write about what you like. For me I was writing from quite an early age, around 11 or 12. And as this is an erotic story site yes those stories were inspired by sexual fantasy. I had one primary school teacher who was highly sexual and sensual. She dressed stylishly. I think she was aware of the effect she had on young boys but there was no scandal or impropriety here. Just a damn fucking horny teacher. I had a similar sexual fantasy with one of my secondary school teacher’s. Long brunette hair, large breasts.

I was reading a lot too. So books that describe sexual scenes were an influence.

So I had been writing stories for a while. Writing for me. Writing in a way that turns me on, hits my buttons. Selfish writing.

The majority of the stuff I was writing would not be suitable for Lit. My work from the past Still isn’t. But when I decided to think about getting a few of my stories ‘out there’. In particular one long story.

The two stories I did submit were initially rejected. One I think maybe because it was based on a real life character. Actually she features also in the story that was published.

So to talk about where stories come from. The ideas. For me it starts with character. This is triggered by girls and woman I see that excite me sexually. We all have that. The girls and women who fantasies about hot boys and guys or hot girls and women for that matter. Same with guys liking boys and men. Your kink or attraction is what it is.

Who you write for may also be specific - incest relationships. The Oedipal complex or the Electra complex. Although not a major interest re focus of writing the idea is sexually exciting and understood. Enough for me to have written an incest story.

http://literotica.com/s/rod-adventures-interlude-pt-01

So in particular with my short stories, who I see triggers the ideas. One event can lead to a full story E.g.a pretty girl on a train sitting in a carriage full of guys

http://literotica.com/s/rod-adventures-interlude-pt-03

One memorable writing reference is from Thomas Harris and the Silence of the lambs. Lecter of course plays with Clarice in his mind games. Harris writes a telling reference to the mind of the killer, that he is influenced by what he sees every day. This leads Clarice to the killer ultimately and the desire for transformation (the clever moth analogy).

So we are sexually excited by what we see and it can be anything that triggers. As a guy we have all had the head turning experience of being caught off guard by a pretty girl or in particular if she is super hot. I assume girls are that way too. They can comment and put me wrong if not.

I think what is true too that the attraction transcends colour. A hot African girl (Alyssa Abebe - an African Princess in my main story). A beautiful Indian girl, the story that prompted this post above, or the Oriental beauty
http://literotica.com/s/rod-adventures-interlude-pt-02

I was lucky in a way that the main story I submitted to Lit by necessity required me to write about different nationalities of women in this case as an important part of the story plot. Why was it necessary to do this. I guess it also helps with the answer of “who do you write for?” This of course can be quite specific - incest, BDSM, Anal, Oral. My stories necessarily include many of these as it is what I enjoy. The Lit tags I guess should help Lit readers find what interests them. So again why the “Why do you write?” Answer is more important - I.e. write what you enjoy and the readers will find it.

I finally get to the subject of the OP. There is a motto. ‘If something is worth doing, it’s worth doing well!’.

Lit AH does inspire and encourage writers as I said. In part the technical part - spelling, grammar etc for writers there is no excuse. If your story needs good research - do the research.”

Above all else - be your best own critic.

So this story, for me because it contains a beautiful new character, the Indian girl Zaina, who in writing I was at least trying to observe some sensibilities of her customs (arguably not as well researched as I might, but at least considered.) and it is the part that explores and unfolds the history in a dream like sequence).

Early on I was taught not to focus on the scores. Good advice. But in this particular case - well yes. I do not attract loads of readers, that was never the goal (back to why do you write).

But yes the scoring on this one was a surprise - not enough reads maybe. I can understand why some of my others do well in likes (the incest story) or the few H chapters I have.

For someone to ‘follow’ this story (a female I might add) Should be and is enough. I wrote this story for me, and every time I read it I am pleased with it.

Apologies again if the post appears very self serving. It is not meant too. As ever if it inspired some discussion about where your own writing comes from and who it is for it will have satisfied the why I posted it.

Brutal One

-

I should start this off by saying I am likely to talk about a whole bunch of different things before I get to the OP. Bear with me. Before I forget this is the link to the story in question (and I will have other links to other stories of mine to illustrate the points). This is in no way intended to generate interest.

Here is the link to the story in question. The reason for opening this topic is this story was one I recently had a follow on.

One of the first things to bring up are the two questions that are related that come up and I think I even opened a post on these. The two questions are “Why do you write?” And “Who do you write for?”

For the the first one is the most important “Why do you write?”. Often the answer is “I write for myself.” This I think is a good answer, an honest answer.

Two of my favourite types of post in AH are “I am looking to write, how should I start?” And “I have just had my first submission story approved”.

I have been fortunate in Lit to have both an editor for a while, and also been an editor for Lit for a while.

So I know a lot of writers that have started, have started on Lit. The AH forum gives a lot of support and great advice. You should all be proud in playing your part in encouraging new writers. The best advice of course is “just do it”, make a start. From the usual “Once upon a time …” or the more interesting “I was leaving my house this morning and a rather unusual thing happened ….”

Then I want to consider the second question. “Who do you write for?” If the answer as I said is you, you presumably write about what you like. For me I was writing from quite an early age, around 11 or 12. And as this is an erotic story site yes those stories were inspired by sexual fantasy. I had one primary school teacher who was highly sexual and sensual. She dressed stylishly. I think she was aware of the effect she had on young boys but there was no scandal or impropriety here. Just a damn fucking horny teacher. I had a similar sexual fantasy with one of my secondary school teacher’s. Long brunette hair, large breasts.

I was reading a lot too. So books that describe sexual scenes were an influence.

So I had been writing stories for a while. Writing for me. Writing in a way that turns me on, hits my buttons. Selfish writing.

The majority of the stuff I was writing would not be suitable for Lit. My work from the past Still isn’t. But when I decided to think about getting a few of my stories ‘out there’. In particular one long story.

The two stories I did submit were initially rejected. One I think maybe because it was based on a real life character. Actually she features also in the story that was published.

So to talk about where stories come from. The ideas. For me it starts with character. This is triggered by girls and woman I see that excite me sexually. We all have that. The girls and women who fantasies about hot boys and guys or hot girls and women for that matter. Same with guys liking boys and men. Your kink or attraction is what it is.

Who you write for may also be specific - incest relationships. The Oedipal complex or the Electra complex. Although not a major interest re focus of writing the idea is sexually exciting and understood. Enough for me to have written an incest story.

So in particular with my short stories, who I see triggers the ideas. One event can lead to a full story E.g.a pretty girl on a train sitting in a carriage full of guys

One memorable writing reference is from Thomas Harris and the Silence of the lambs. Lecter of course plays with Clarice in his mind games. Harris writes a telling reference to the mind of the killer, that he is influenced by what he sees every day. This leads Clarice to the killer ultimately and the desire for transformation (the clever moth analogy).

So we are sexually excited by what we see and it can be anything that triggers. As a guy we have all had the head turning experience of being caught off guard by a pretty girl or in particular if she is super hot. I assume girls are that way too. They can comment and put me wrong if not.

I think what is true too that the attraction transcends colour. A hot African girl (Alyssa Abebe - an African Princess in my main story). A beautiful Indian girl, the story that prompted this post above, or the Oriental beauty

I was lucky in a way that the main story I submitted to Lit by necessity required me to write about different nationalities of women in this case as an important part of the story plot. Why was it necessary to do this. I guess it also helps with the answer of “who do you write for?” This of course can be quite specific - incest, BDSM, Anal, Oral. My stories necessarily include many of these as it is what I enjoy. The Lit tags I guess should help Lit readers find what interests them. So again why the “Why do you write?” Answer is more important - I.e. write what you enjoy and the readers will find it.

I finally get to the subject of the OP. There is a motto. ‘If something is worth doing, it’s worth doing well!’.

Lit AH does inspire and encourage writers as I said. In part the technical part - spelling, grammar etc for writers there is no excuse. If your story needs good research - do the research.”

So this story, for me because it contains a beautiful new character, the Indian girl Zaina, who in writing I was at least trying to observe some sensibilities of her customs (arguably not as well researched as I might, but at least considered.) and it is the part that explores and unfolds the history in a dream like sequence).

Early on I was taught not to focus on the scores. Good advice. But in this particular case - well yes. I do not attract loads of readers, that was never the goal (back to why do you write).

But yes the scoring on this one was a surprise - not enough reads maybe. I can understand why some of my others do well in likes (the incest story) or the few H chapters I have.

For someone to ‘follow’ this story (a female I might add) Should be and is enough. I wrote this story for me, and every time I read it I am pleased with it.

Apologies again if the post appears very self serving. It is not meant too. As ever if it inspired some discussion about where your own writing comes from and who it is for it will have satisfied the why I posted it.

Brutal One

-
First of all, you don't have to apologize for promoting one of your own stories by linking to it in a post. You don't have to admit or deny that you have an ulterior motive. We probably have all done it!

As to why you got a low score on this chapter 23 - it's probably impossible to say. Then you're back to 5.00 in the next chapter. I don't know why you didn't get a red H for that - I think the rules require a sufficient number of votes, but I don't know what that is.

So there is little point in scrutinizing the content of any one story or chapter. Maybe some readers will comment on why they voted as they did. If they don't comment - which is likely on a series that goes on for months - then, who knows or even cares? You're just guessing that it has something to do with a new female character.

That's another thing we all do - we guess. Yet we do make a stab as to why something is popular or less so. One reader did clue me in on why two satires about Dr. Phil were not well received. It seems to be Phil himself. He may have a huge TV audience, but apparently he's not as well-liked by Lit readers.

Brutal One

-
Chapter 23 has been posted for a while. Have you seen the score changing much over that time?

It goes back as I say to the two questions “Why do you write? and “Who do you write for?” I think for a lot if not all they write for themselves primarily. You can be your own best critic. It’s probably good to have ‘brain dumped’ but yes as long as I can still get stories submitted and feel there is a tale to tell. At least it is no longer ‘selfish writing’. They reaction you can‘t legislate for but it’s best to ‘publish and be damned’. The best thing for people who visit here and AH and want to write they should just do it.

Brural One

Chapter 23 has been posted for a while. Have you seen the score changing much over that time?
No the score had not changed but the new follow is very recent. It was from a female so as it is one chapter I think I was happy personally about, there was some consideration in the writing, it’s nice it attracted someone as a follower. I have not contributed for some time. For the genre (pretty much BDSM) I was satisfied that I had written all that I wanted or maybe needed to say. In the new work (submitted but pending I am closing that chapter and opening a new series away from all the 20 or more characters I had created in the writing. One or two may be a referenced from time to time but never about the ‘old days’ as it were.

Brutal One

Often the answer is “I write for myself.” This I think is a good answer, an honest answer.
It may be an answer, but I think it's a pretty vague one. What does that—somewhat trite, I might add—statement even mean? "I write for myself." Sure, writing is a solitary business, every writer needs to do it by herself (if not to become a plagiarizer), but that's pretty much a given. So what's more—if there even is anything more—to that statement of writing for oneself?

It may be an answer, but I think it's a pretty vague one. What does that—somewhat trite, I might add—statement even mean? "I write for myself." Sure, writing is a solitary business, every writer needs to do it by herself (if not to become a plagiarizer), but that's pretty much a given. So what's more—if there even is anything more—to that statement of writing for oneself?
It just means writing for your own pleasure, sharing your work for your own pleasure. As an aside I think it's worth mentioning that often, people give feedback for their own pleasure rather than constructively per se.

Again, what's that to mean, "for your own pleasure?" If that was truly one's reason to write, why then share the writing at all? The pleasure the writer was supposedly seeking would already haven been consumed (by writing it), so what'd be the point of subsequently sharing the writing?

Again, what's that to mean, "for your own pleasure?" If that was truly one's reason to write, why then share the writing at all? The pleasure the writer was supposedly seeking would already haven been consumed (by writing it), so what'd be the point of subsequently sharing the writing?
To get pleasure from sharing the writing. For shits and giggles. For fun! 😉

But wouldn't that mean that you're ultimately—if maybe only indirectly—writing for others then, for you'd obtain your pleasure only from the reactions of others? Without their reactions there'd be no "shits and giggles" after all, or do I err on this?

But wouldn't that mean that you're ultimately—if maybe only indirectly—writing for others then, for you'd obtain your pleasure only from the reactions of others? Without their reactions there'd be no "shits and giggles" after all, or do I err on this?
Well no, I can relate to both perspectives, I expect you can too.

I mean, I get a lot of pleasure wearing low cut everyday clothes sometimes, and I know people can see, but that's not the only reason I get the girls out. I've only ever received direct feedback from strangers once or twice and I'm not choosing my clothes in search of reaction from other people.

Some people base their whole identity on how they appear to others, some do not.

Last edited:
Well, maybe "only" was not the right word then, since you didn't address my actual point, namely that if you post for "shits and giggles" the correspondent reader reactions are necessary to derive any pleasure from "shits and giggles." If there's no (correspondent) reactions from readers, then there's no basis for your pleasure! Hence, at least indirectly, you'd be writing for readers too (to get "shits and giggles" out of them), and no longer exclusively for yourself.

Do I write for myself? Certainly, it has to interest me or why would I devote the time and effort? Even the paid commissions I have done have to hold at least some interest for me or I wouldn't bother (unless someone wanted to offer a LARGE sum of money-anyone? Bueller?). But once it's written, if I post it somewhere it's with the hope that it will find a few appreciative readers. Now that doesn't mean the numbers have to be huge; in fact, I would prefer a small number of actively-involved readers to a large number of passive ones. That's one reason I have little desire to post here-I feel this site prioritizes quantity over quality and real interaction rarely occurs.

As for scores, I've expressed the opinion that I would be quite happy if they were dispensed with entirely. The main site I post on doesn't have them and no one misses them. They might be of some value if you're paying for the story, but when they are free, you don't need them because if you chose a story that you don't like (which happens even with high-scoring ones), you've lost nothing.

Well, maybe "only" was not the right word then, since you didn't address my actual point, namely that if you post for "shits and giggles" the correspondent reader reactions are necessary to derive any pleasure from "shits and giggles." If there's no (correspondent) reactions from readers, then there's no basis for your pleasure! Hence, at least indirectly, you'd be writing for readers too (to get "shits and giggles" out of them), and no longer exclusively for yourself.
Are you genuinely unaware that it is possible to produce art/fiction for its own sake? To be happy knowing something you produced exists without checking in with anyone else to see what they thought of it? To enjoy both the process and the outcome independently of other people?

I have enabled votes/comments on everything I publish on here, I enjoy the feedback, positive and negative. Some people disable feedback, and still share, oblivious/happy without. They still get something out of it, or they surely wouldn't bother.

I credit that you do appreciate these facts, and think this might be a language issue, or perhaps even just semantics, unworthy of debate.

OP stated they write and share for themselves.

That they appreciate their following.

Clearly they derive pleasure from all three aspects, writing, sharing, being observed.

They never stated they only or always wrote for themselves, even said they often wrote for themselves

I take it as I write the story I want to without wondering what the score would be, what readers think, will it put people off, etc..

The thing about this site is no matter what your idea is there are people who will like it, but also hate it so its not worth worrying about making anyone happy with the finished product but yourself.

Off lit I write to make a little money so there is more incentive to consider whether or not I want to pander to an idea I know will sell or play with a new idea that might be a clunker. I still go with what I want most of the time, but on occasion will write a formula piece I know will tick the boxes and make the sales. But with nothing being on the line here, its totally whatever idea pops into my head

I can't see your exact vote counts, but from what I can see, I can tell that most of your chapters from #13 onwards are getting fewer than ten votes. (Category-hopping might be the reason why - many readers simply won't follow a story from one cat to another, especially when one of those categories is NC).

With so few votes, just one or two low votes can make a big difference to the score. The reason why chapter 23 fared poorly probably comes down to "one or two random people on the internet didn't like this one, and unless they left feedback you'll never know why". Maybe you named a character after the ex they hate, maybe the dog shat on their bed and they were just in a bad mood when they read your story; it's just not the kind of thing one should over-analyse when there are only a handful of votes.

Are you genuinely unaware that it is possible to produce art/fiction for its own sake? To be happy knowing something you produced exists without checking in with anyone else to see what they thought of it? To enjoy both the process and the outcome independently of other people?
Of course that's possible, but it doesn't strike me as a satisfying—if even coherent—motive for sharing one's creative output with others. If you were truly writing stories just to write stories (because you enjoy both the process and the outcome), there'd be no reason at all to share them with anyone else on this basis alone. Hence, if you start sharing them, there must be more to it than "for its own sake" can possibly answer for!

And the OP stated the "often" you're appealing to in a rather impersonal or "general" way of merely describing the frequency with which the answer in question is given, not even stating, if you read closely, that it's actually the OP's answer as to the OP's mind it's merely "a good answer, an honest answer" (my emphasis). If you go back and read again what the OP actually wrote, you'll see that the Brutal_One isn't actually all too clear on what their answers are to any of the questions raised . . .

Of course that's possible, but it doesn't strike me as a satisfying—if even coherent—motive for sharing one's creative output with others.
Of course you don't own or control the motives of anyone but yourself.

I think category hopping is the number 1 reason it doesn't have a higher score. BDSM and Nonconsent are two categories with many picky readers--and many readers in both sets feel strongly that BDSM and Nonconsent are two completely different animals, and should not be confused. I think you probably lose readers if you hop back and forth. I scanned the story and it looks more like a Mind Control story to me.

Also, you switch tenses. Many readers, myself included, get thrown right out of a story when that happens. I cannot give a story a 5 if the author carelessly does that. It's one of my top 5 Literotica no-nos.

You have some issues with punctuation, capitalization, etc. The story could use additional proofreading. You probably lost some votes because of that.

I think category hopping is the number 1 reason it doesn't have a higher score. BDSM and Nonconsent are two categories with many picky readers--and many readers in both sets feel strongly that BDSM and Nonconsent are two completely different animals, and should not be confused. I think you probably lose readers if you hop back and forth. I scanned the story and it looks more like a Mind Control story to me.

Also, you switch tenses. Many readers, myself included, get thrown right out of a story when that happens. I cannot give a story a 5 if the author carelessly does that. It's one of my top 5 Literotica no-nos.

You have some issues with punctuation, capitalization, etc. The story could use additional proofreading. You probably lost some votes because of that.
Yeah, but he only fell down on maybe four chapters out of twenty-seven - if you consider 3.50 to be falling down. That's an admirable record. He should congratulate himself, have a drink, and move on. He should spend more time on the grammatical issues that you mentioned, but that can be fixed as you said.

That's an admirable record. He should congratulate himself, have a drink, and move on.

Totally agree. More writers should take this attitude. Appreciate the good, and learn from, but don't obsess about, the negative. Move forward. But it's much easier to do if you start a new story than if you keep adding chapter after chapter of an older story.

Totally agree. More writers should take this attitude. Appreciate the good, and learn from, but don't obsess about, the negative. Move forward. But it's much easier to do if you start a new story than if you keep adding chapter after chapter of an older story.
Well, it depends on how a series is going. I think about fourteen chapters (which includes stand-alone sequels) is about my limit. The only series I really bombed at were intended to be quite short (two and four chapters). It certainly had something to do with the unpopularity of the real-life protagonists I used (readers told me that), namely Dr. Phil McGraw and Andy Warhol shooter Valerie Solanas. I might have done one more about Dr. Phil, but it didn't seem worth the bother.

I noticed that only 1% to maybe 3% of views translate into rating. So if 1000 people view your story only 10 to 30 rate it. Why the low numbers? its so easy to click on the stars. Comments?

Back