Happy Geek Pride

A tradition at 'Greek' weddings. I suspect you haven't been to one.
In Germany we do the same. The night before the couple is wed, they smash (some of) their bachelor dishes to pieces. It's one of the cool compound words German is infamous for. "Polterabend", from poltern, engl "to make a ruckus" and abend, engl "evening". It's the evening the couple throws a roaring party. Or at least it used to like that before the American custom of having separate bachelor parties (or whatever its called, my brain hasn't recovered from my post-GPD hangover) took hold.

I don't know why, but the Geek Prince story has drawn more than its share of 1 bombs. About 4400 reads so far and hanging on with a 4.5. I had a 5 till about the 12th review, then started trending down bu getting good reviews in the comments.

I did have one person say that it wasn't a geek story because it wasn't SF.

The funny thing is that it's a near future alt history. The break point is that Lee was assassinated at Appomattox. Guerilla resistance that made the Balkans and Afghanistan look like a tea party in comparison went on till WW1. The 13th Amendment was interpreted to allow penal slavery and it became an institution. I put the stories in non con because it seemed to fit better.
If I can get away from Appomattox, now I remember that these events get a lot of attention, and thus initially bring out many one-bomb zombies.

My stats don't show "a lot of attention". Readership is less than for my usual stuff. Which is odd. The first "Red Tsonia" was pretty well received.

My stats don't show "a lot of attention". Readership is less than for my usual stuff. Which is odd. The first "Red Tsonia" was pretty well received.
Right?! My femdom stuff always pales in comparison to may maledom in popularity, but I was SO proud of this story, and the number of people who've even bothered to rate it has been low. 11 votes?

Why so few? It's just barely hovering at 4.55... I was expecting more votes, a lower score (perhaps) and CERTAINLY more people complaining in the comments.

Not a huge amount of attention on my one entry, lots of ads to reading lists, however. To be honest I didn't expect a lot of "business" but the reaction I'm getting is positive. When people open up that story and see 15 pages many will run, so I'll try to keep my stories no bigger than this one

Not a huge amount of attention on my one entry, lots of ads to reading lists, however. To be honest I didn't expect a lot of "business" but the reaction I'm getting is positive. When people open up that story and see 15 pages many will run, so I'll try to keep my stories no bigger than this one
I loaded your story into a text-to-speech app on my phone at work, started listening at around 6am and finished around 10am.

What a beast of a story. Lol
But I enjoyed it.

I’m at 2.1K views with 4.68/57… I’ve noticed some trickle down attention to my old work by a few hundred views a piece… my old pieces have historically been marathon runners, not sprinters. But honestly, I expected much lower ratings given the light fem-dom approach I took with it. I don’t think it’s a bad turn out for my first event.

I think it’s safe to say there’s not looking like any kind of formula going on here other than, it appears, what people believe qualifies as “geeky”.

Last edited:
I've started "Enchantress" over breakfast. First impressions are great - you're nailing the style! If I have one nit to pick, your story could have benefitted from an additional edit pass - right in the beginning you've dropped half a sentence.

I'll finish it ASAP and leave my thoughts. Be warned: I'm a huge Pratchett worshiper... dun dun DUNNN!

I've started "Enchantress" over breakfast. First impressions are great - you're nailing the style! If I have one nit to pick, your story could have benefitted from an additional edit pass - right in the beginning you've dropped half a sentence.

I'll finish it ASAP and leave my thoughts. Be warned: I'm a huge Pratchett worshiper... dun dun DUNNN!
Where was it? it was probably an addition that didn't get completed

I loaded your story into a text-to-speech app on my phone at work, started listening at around 6am and finished around 10am.

What a beast of a story. Lol
But I enjoyed it.
That's how I edited it, with the native speech to text in Word, and that took days.

Back