Happy Geek Pride

I don't know why, but the Geek Prince story has drawn more than its share of 1 bombs. About 4400 reads so far and hanging on with a 4.5. I had a 5 till about the 12th review, then started trending down bu getting good reviews in the comments.

I did have one person say that it wasn't a geek story because it wasn't SF.

The funny thing is that it's a near future alt history. The break point is that Lee was assassinated at Appomattox. Guerilla resistance that made the Balkans and Afghanistan look like a tea party in comparison went on till WW1. The 13th Amendment was interpreted to allow penal slavery and it became an institution. I put the stories in non con because it seemed to fit better.

24 SciFi stories published today - I’m the third worst. Enough is enough. Why would I bother to put pen to paper when the reaction is so overwhelmingly and unequivocally bad.

There is determination in the face of adversity and there is pig-headed stubbornness and stupidity. I don’t want to be guilty of the latter so:

u0hGWG.gif

Literotica wins. I tried my best, but it wasn’t good enough. I have one more story in pending. It might get published, but I have my doubts. Even if it does, it won’t win me any plaudits. It will just continue the now well-established and precipitous decline in how my work is viewed.

Going to stop flogging a dead horse. At least for some time. Other life priorities to think about.

Thanks for those of you who were nice to me. I did appreciate that.

Em

24 SciFi stories published today - I’m the third worst. Enough is enough. Why would I bother to put pen to paper when the reaction is so overwhelmingly and unequivocally bad.

There is determination in the face of adversity and there is pig-headed stubbornness and stupidity. I don’t want to be guilty of the latter so:

u0hGWG.gif

Literotica wins. I tried my best, but it wasn’t good enough. I have one more story in pending. It might get published, but I have my doubts. Even if it does, it won’t win me any plaudits. It will just continue the now well-established and precipitous decline in how my work is viewed.

Going to stop flogging a dead horse. At least for some time. Other life priorities to think about.

Em

Don't let the assholes of the world bring you down, Em.

Take a break. Walk away. Reevaluate. Clear your head.

Your friends are hear when you return.

Third worst, by scores. As much as that might hurt, you should know by now that scores aren't a true measure of story quality. That being said, after reading the first two parts of your trilogy, I have tons of feedback to offer about what I think you could improve in your stories. I really hope that doesn't come out as patronizing, but a fresh perspective is what you need and probably some better understanding of certain categories and what readers expect to read there. You have to admit, you are all over the place with category choices, so that might be one of the reasons why you are having trouble with readership. Chin up, and get ready to fight another day, nobody here pegged you as a quitter, so you better rise to the challenge :)

u0hGWG.gif

Em
I'm only on page 4 but it's freaking great so far. Double tube filling? My god. Intense.

Sorry you're feeling discouraged 🥺

I'm only on page 4 but it's freaking great so far. Double tube filling? My god. Intense.

Sorry you're feeling discouraged 🥺
I'm not quite discouraged, but I already starting writing a prequel and two sequels. But yeah, I just looked and it's not looking good to start with. I thought that since it was short, I'd get away with it. But - it's in the romance category, no sex depicted, no science fiction or fantasy elements at all. Time to just keep going I guess.

I'm not quite discouraged, but I already starting writing a prequel and two sequels. But yeah, I just looked and it's not looking good to start with. I thought that since it was short, I'd get away with it. But - it's in the romance category, no sex depicted, no science fiction or fantasy elements at all. Time to just keep going I guess.
Prequel and 2 sequels to what?

I'm not quite discouraged, but I already starting writing a prequel and two sequels
hey, I'm 32K into a sequel to a story that had a score of 1 last time I checked. Here's the Lit author's motto:

Scribimus Quod Scribimus

(We write because we write)

hey, I'm 32K into a sequel to a story that had a score of 1 last time I checked. Here's the Lit author's motto:

Scribimus Quod Scribimus

(We write because we write)
A "one!" That's got to hurt. It's true I had a story once with no score at all until somebody voted. Good motto, however.

Em
Write for yourself first! There's so much joy in it, and sharing your fantasies with the world is only part of it. Your trilogy is niche fiction, and tentacle sex is like Vegemite/Marmite, you will hit the spot for some, for others well...

(FYI my favourite story is the lowest rated, the series I put most of my self/heart into tanked on views and vote. It is disheartening.)

They will voice their opinions. Please don't take those opinions to heart and give up.

Am I the only one that keeps reading Greek Pride and thinking we should be writing about smashing plates at weddings?

So you need to read Collective Intelligence by @seraph_nocturne and Eldritch Pact by me to fully get the beauty of this joke, but I'm sure you can glean the main humor from context clues.

I got to read Collection Intelligence a bit early, and I immediately made this meme. I've been waiting for both stories to drop so I could share this meme, and then I forgot until now. 😅

Attachments

• ZomboMeme 20052023133635.jpg
    ZomboMeme 20052023133635.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 15
Am I the only one that keeps reading Greek Pride and thinking we should be writing about smashing plates at weddings?
A "one!" That's got to hurt. It's true I had a story once with no score at all until somebody voted. Good motto, however.
Is smashing plates at a wedding a thing?

I had a microsweep last night that negated the uno-bomber *whew*

see you space cowgirl.
So awesome! It cleansed my heart of that dark stain left by the live action version

A tradition at 'Greek' weddings. I suspect you haven't been to one.
Never heard of such a tradition and no, I've never been to a Greek wedding.

I've been to quite a few South Buffalo Irish Weddings where the only thing that got smashed was... everyone.

Never heard of such a tradition and no, I've never been to a Greek wedding.

I've been to quite a few South Buffalo Irish Weddings where the only thing that got smashed was... everyone.
Now I remember our Buffalo discussion - the expressway issue. I've never been to an Irish wedding. I've heard that the wakes could - or used to - be pretty well lit-up too.

One thing I've learned in life (not much in total) is to sip hard liquor, not drink it per se. The effects will hit soon enough anyway.

u0hGWG.gif

Em
See the comment I left on the story. Two comments, actually.

Last edited:
Now I remember our Buffalo discussion - the expressway issue. I've never been to an Irish wedding. I've heard that the wakes could - or used to - be pretty well lit-up too.

One thing I've learned in life (not much in total) is to sip hard liquor, not drink it per se. The effects will hit soon enough anyway.
Official South Buffalo Joke:

Q. In South Buffalo what's the difference between an Irish Wedding and an Irish Wake?

A. Two drunks.

Back