Free Association Thread 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once you have enough, you wonder what to do with surplus. There's the obvious, ply it into political campaigns, or the less obvious and but more sound, use it for good.

Most use it to invest for more wealth accumulation. That's why "trickle-down economics" is a farce.

Trickle-down economics is akin to someone urinating on your leg and saying it was a rain storm.

When faced with the choice of turning on the spigot to let a little bit trickle down or making their vault bigger, most of those at the top will be calling an architect to do plans for an entire new wing. :(

When faced with the choice of turning on the spigot to let a little bit trickle down or making their vault bigger, most of those at the top will be calling an architect to do plans for an entire new wing. :(

Agreed. Damn shitty state of affairs to be in for a generally peaceful sort of chap. :mad:

Sadly, the role of 'peacemaker' requires a large soldier of some sort armed to the teeth to ensure the peacemaker survives.

Sadly, the role of 'peacemaker' requires a large soldier of some sort armed to the teeth to ensure the peacemaker survives.

I tend to always roll my eyes anytime I hear some cutesy term being used. Some of the really memorable ones include: Peacekeeping Mission, Police Action, Conflict, and Military Intervention.

Sorry, but if you are sending in troops and equipment, dropping bombs, engaging in combat, and shipping body bags home...it's called: WAR!

I tend to always roll my eyes anytime I hear some cutesy term being used. Some of the really memorable ones include: Peacekeeping Mission, Police Action, Conflict, and Military Intervention.

Sorry, but if you are sending in troops and equipment, dropping bombs, engaging in combat, and shipping body bags home...it's called: WAR!

Well, I understand your feeling, but military and naval operations lie on a spectrum, as does almost everything else. Such terms, irritating and even misleading as they can be, can be useful in differentiating between points on that line.

Paradoxically, in a sense, I suspect the very term 'war' is obsolete. When was the last time a nation on this sad planet actually declared war on another? It just doesn't happen anymore - not that that makes it any easier on the participants or their widows and orphans.

Well, I understand your feeling, but military and naval operations lie on a spectrum, as does almost everything else. Such terms, irritating and even misleading as they can be, can be useful in differentiating between points on that line.

Paradoxically, in a sense, I suspect the very term 'war' is obsolete. When was the last time a nation on this sad planet actually declared war on another? It just doesn't happen anymore - not that that makes it any easier on the participants or their widows and orphans.

Not so much obsolete as replaced by euphemisms in the continued expansion of "duck-speak." It is not a "police action," "surgical strike," "preemptive action," or any such term; it is war.

Not so much obsolete as replaced by euphemisms in the continued expansion of "duck-speak." It is not a "police action," "surgical strike," "preemptive action," or any such term; it is war.

I think it needs for one nation /tribe/ group to say to another nation /tribe/ group something along the lines of "You must not step over that line; if you do, a state of War will exist between us."

Everything else is a minor problem.

I think it needs for one nation /tribe/ group to say to another nation /tribe/ group something along the lines of "You must not step over that line; if you do, a state of War will exist between us."

Everything else is a minor problem.

Tell that to the ones who die or are maimed in those "minor problems."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back