Free Association Thread 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
USA kindergarten and primary grades should be conducted in multiple languages. Anglish-only really stunts us. By high school, it's about too late for multilingual fluency. Two semesters of German were useless. Most of what I can piece-together of Lain and Greek derives from botany and medical studies. Not much room for conjugation there.

At my secondary school, the Headmaster decided that Latin would be on the programme.
Sadly, this policy started the year that I left school.

I have a choice: enough meds to keep me alive for a month more, or a tenor guitar.

It's like the old miserly Jack Benny joke. A robber comes up to him, pistol drawn.

Robber: "Your money or your life!"

[pause]

Robber: "Well, come on what is it? Your money or your life?"

Benny: "I'm THINKING, I'm THINKING!"

I have a choice: enough meds to keep me alive for a month more, or a tenor guitar.

It's like the old miserly Jack Benny joke. A robber comes up to him, pistol drawn.

[pause]

One of the rarest things in the world is finding a rich man that thinks he has enough money.

[pause]

I have a choice: stay in Canada where my meds are 80% covered by the government insurance plan for a maximum yearly premium of $653 Canadian or retire back to the US and...?

I have a choice: stay in Canada where my meds are 80% covered by the government insurance plan for a maximum yearly premium of $653 Canadian or retire back to the US and...?

That may [also] depend upon the absolute costs of your pills.
Good Luck

I'm afraid to calculate the monthly cost of my meds. My partner does that, painfully.

Meanwhile, I recall the time I went to Buffalo Bills Stadium to hear Eric Clapton with Freddie King, and The Band. Sound system sucked; way too treble. Clapton sucked. He staggered onstage, grabbed a mike, yelled "I'm bloody drunk and I'm ready for trouble," and fell down. Worst part was that my camera was stolen. I should have stayed in Palmyra, home of the Mormons and Winston Churchill's mother.

I'm afraid to calculate the monthly cost of my meds. My partner does that, painfully.

Meanwhile, I recall the time I went to Buffalo Bills Stadium to hear Eric Clapton with Freddie King, and The Band. Sound system sucked; way too treble. Clapton sucked. He staggered onstage, grabbed a mike, yelled "I'm bloody drunk and I'm ready for trouble," and fell down. Worst part was that my camera was stolen. I should have stayed in Palmyra, home of the Mormons and Winston Churchill's mother.

Dr. Hook and Sylvia's Mother :nana:

Never one of my favourites, that one.
But it does bring back a few memories. :)
It's listen-able. But I'm reminded of a comment on the body of work of one of the great bluesmen: "Seems he's having woman problems." There's the core of culture, init? The flip side from around then: You Sexy Thing! But which theme predominates in our world?

We've gone from "Bang A Gong" to Simon Cowell and his golden buzzer.

I had a great aunt - Mabel, aka Mabs - who had a gong to summon us for supper. It was quite a while ago. :)

And then, of course, there's that well-known Scout song from years gone by: 'Oh we're sliding a gong on the chest of a slave, and the sun is in the sky'

I had a great aunt - Mabel, aka Mabs - who had a gong to summon us for supper. It was quite a while ago. :)

And then, of course, there's that well-known Scout song from years gone by: 'Oh we're sliding a gong on the chest of a slave, and the sun is in the sky'

What Scouts were they? I've never heard that song, even from years gone by! :eek:

What Scouts were they? I've never heard that song, even from years gone by! :eek:

I don't think that's the lost bridge from "The Quartermaster's Store"

I don't think that's the lost bridge from "The Quartermaster's Store"

Now, it doesn't scan into the Sapphic form of the Quartermaster's Store, even as a coda.

"They have beans, beans
To make you fill your jeans
In the Quartermanter's Store.

Now, it doesn't scan into the Sapphic form of the Quartermaster's Store, even as a coda.

"They have beans, beans

As I recall it, it was more like:-

"They have beans, beans
in the store,
in the stores
They have beans, beans

Chorus:-
My eyes are dim
I cannot see
I should have brought my specs with me
I should have brought my specs with me'

At which point the next nominated member does his bit with a new verse.

As I recall it, it was more like:-

"They have beans, beans
in the store,
in the stores
They have beans, beans

Chorus:-
My eyes are dim
I cannot see
I should have brought my specs with me
I should have brought my specs with me'

At which point the next nominated member does his bit with a new verse.

I was giving it a shortened form for the sake of space. But I never heard it with that chorus. I do see it is common, however.

The campfire songs I remember were Abdul Abulbul Emir, Copper Kettle (primer in making moonshine), Helen Had A Steamboat, Anne Boleyn (With Her Head Tucked Underneath Her Arm), and John Jacob Jingleheimer Smith. But that was long long ago.

At scout camp we used to send the first year guys out in the woods and tell them to sing that one because it was the mating call of the elusive snipe. :D

And we had the new kids form a circle around the campfire and kneel while solemly intoning the sacred chant "Owa tagoo Siam," until they comprehended its spiritual meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back