Free Association Thread 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
She has always been a favorite - the 'pixie' type (although a very sexy one). On cable recently, they were showing 'Sands of the Kalahari', but it was already half over, or I would have watched it. Isn't that the one where monkeys, maybe baboons, eat somebody?

I quite enjoy cable movies that have already started. A lot of older movies were slow starters. As long as you have seen the beginning once .... :)

I quite enjoy cable movies that have already started. A lot of older movies were slow starters. As long as you have seen the beginning once .... :)

I operate with the attitude that until you know the dialog as well as the actors, reruns are worth it. :D

I operate with the attitude that until you know the dialog as well as the actors, reruns are worth it. :D

When I was a kid, people went to the movies and started watching the film already in progress, and stay through until they got to the point where they had entered.

I believe that may have been one of the first times I felt: WTF?

When I was a kid, people went to the movies and started watching the film already in progress, and stay through until they got to the point where they had entered.

I believe that may have been one of the first times I felt: WTF?

Me & my mates did the same.
It could be a trifle confusing, or you had to miss the last bus home.

PS. This is a damned good portrayal of a BSM: See 'ere.
[Richard Attenborough]

There's another in "Zulu" [RSM Bourne, Nigel Green]

Last edited:
Me & my mates did the same.
It could be a trifle confusing, or you had to miss the last bus home.

PS. This is a damned good portrayal of a BSM: See 'ere.
[Richard Attenborough]

There's another in "Zulu" [RSM Bourne, Nigel Green]

Ah, Attenborough was a fine actor, and possibly an even better director.

All that 'spit and polish' reminded me of this (and it was on You Tube!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol5Dfs7jqFI

God, I miss those types of narrators. We had them with that same snappy delivery here in the states.

That's the secret of a powerful voice; snap and speed.
The Army had a number of different units in the South East, Aldershot and all that (I'm ex-RAF, so don't ask me too much), and they are not separated by much.
Imagine the chaos on day when the command "HALT" was issued, and a lot of Army blokes halted; right where they were; one group was in the middle of a deserted parade ground. It was later discovered that the voice was that of RSM Britain who was over 500 yards away - on a different parade ground entirely.
RSM Britain got his final reporting orders in 1981.

That's the secret of a powerful voice; snap and speed.
The Army had a number of different units in the South East, Aldershot and all that (I'm ex-RAF, so don't ask me too much), and they are not separated by much.
Imagine the chaos on day when the command "HALT" was issued, and a lot of Army blokes halted; right where they were; one group was in the middle of a deserted parade ground. It was later discovered that the voice was that of RSM Britain who was over 500 yards away - on a different parade ground entirely.
RSM Britain got his final reporting orders in 1981.

I guess he was using his "outside voice" instead of the "inside" one. ;)

An interesting sound. I've never heard of them, but I'll make more enquiries, I think.

Little Feat is one of my favorite all time bands. Many excellent songs: "Voices on the Wind' is from the second incarnation. The first, from the 70's, ended for a time with the death from heroin overdose of Lowell George, the singer and driving force.

This is one of my favorites: Dixie Chicken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXvoRRMSSGU

I like this version; Joan Baez
I can honestly say I don't understand more than half a dozen words.
[thought; I guess it's something to do with the Civil War].

I've always thought it was about Sherman's brutal march through Georgia - either that or maybe it's about a car ride with an aged hooker named Dixie.

Maybe through Georgia.

Joan: beautiful voice. Hers was the very first concert I ever attended.

I've always thought it was about Sherman's brutal march through Georgia - either that or maybe it's about a car ride with an aged hooker named Dixie.

Maybe through Georgia.

Joan: beautiful voice. Hers was the very first concert I ever attended.

One day, I hope someone will explain "Dixie" to me - in simple words I can understand, 'for I am a bear of very little brain'.
And the wind's getting up.
Batten down the hatches, lads, we're in for another blow!

Always good to hear old Charlie. As for the Devil's traveling itinerary, his starting point for his journey down to Georgia was Kansas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO_NSWFmEdc

And you know what? Fuck it - this is Free Association: this is one of my favorite songs - the title cut from the album which included the tune above: This is 'A Salty Dog'.

(A hush of reverence crosses my humble abode in the presence of true greatness):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOj3kJKy-_U

Last edited:
Always good to hear old Charlie. As for the Devil's traveling itinerary, his starting point for his journey down to Georgia was Kansas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO_NSWFmEdc

And you know what? Fuck it - this is Free Association: this is one of my favorite songs - the title cut from the album which included the tune above: This is 'A Salty Dog'.

(A hush of reverence crosses my humble abode in the presence of true greatness):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOj3kJKy-_U

I was never really a great Andy Williams fan, but I think this one is pretty damn good. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPU2mqTDMJg

Going back to HP's request to find out why "Dixie."

HP, it's after the second name in the Mason-Dixon Line, the survey that separated Maryland and Virginia from Pennsylvania and Delaware, and ultimately came to be the border between the slaveholding South and the Industrial North.

But you should know it anyway, HP; Jeremiah Dixon was a countryman of yours.

Going back to HP's request to find out why "Dixie."

HP, it's after the second name in the Mason-Dixon Line, the survey that separated Maryland and Virginia from Pennsylvania and Delaware, and ultimately came to be the border between the slaveholding South and the Industrial North.

But you should know it anyway, HP; Jeremiah Dixon was a countryman of yours.

He wasn't known by my family. . . . . [ :) ]
I've discovered something about my mirror lens. Given a decent platform, I can take pictures of dickiebirds !

He wasn't known by my family. . . . . [ :) ]
I've discovered something about my mirror lens. Given a decent platform, I can take pictures of dickiebirds !

I thought all you Brits knew each other. Just like on this side of the Pond. Whenever I meet an American, I'm told of some Canuck he knows, and asked if I know him too.

I thought all you Brits knew each other. Just like on this side of the Pond. Whenever I meet an American, I'm told of some Canuck he knows, and asked if I know him too.

The next time that happens just do this. First, pause as if deep thought for a moment, and then with a totally straight face, say:

"I don't think so. Does he go to the Tuesday meetings or the Thursday ones?" :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back