Formula 1 Racing

HumpDayHoratio

Slightly Aged
I searched the search but didn’t find any past threads (who wants to dust off a moldy old thread anyway?) specifically on this topic. It pops up many times in threads, so hopefully the topic will find a home here for all gearheads/fans.

I will admit upfront that I’m a recent convert. By recent I mean last 10-15 yrs. Casual at first, my European coworkers are fanatics, and I was watching Top Gear on the BBC USA, who featured F1 drivers frequently. I grew up in the heart of NASCAR country (NC) so the force was strong with me in that regard.
I will watch two turtles race, lawn mowers, go karts, bikes, GP Moto, Daytona/LeMans, just about anything, but right now, I believe F1 has the best product out there for viewing.

With F1’s popularity around the world and growing interest here in the US (we host three races this year!) largely in part to Nexflix’s popular Formula 1: Drive to Survive series (I’ve had three friends become recent converts just on the series alone, one of whom doesn’t even watch the races!?), thought I’d start this thread instead of hijacking others threads jabbering about it!

Whether you’re a fan of F1 or any other type of motor sport/series, fan of the Netflix series, or casually interested, chime in!

Last edited:
I really wanted to do this before the season kicked off but RL got in the way. We’re three races in and it looks like the Red Bull‘s are the class of the field so far.

The beauty this year is Ferrari, Aston Martin, and Mercedes are all in the hunt and the times aren’t far off from pole to P4. Looks like it’s going to be a great year!

As a recent convert, I don’t really follow a certain team or driver. My fanatical friends are all Ferrari guys or Merc guys. When I was a kid I had the slot cars and the ones I had were all Le Mans style from the early ‘70’s. One in particular that was my favorite had the Williams livery on it. I have a soft spot for them just because of that!

If you pinned me down I pull for the HAAS team because they’re based in the US, but at the end of the day I just want to see good racing! I really don’t have a favorite. This year I’m kind of pulling for Fernando Alonso, just because he’s the old guy!

I had a gf in high school who converted me years ago and my interest has waxed and waned since. The day Ayrton Senna died was one of the worst days of my life. He was just coming on scene when i started following. I loved the way he drove.

The series is awesome. McLaren was obviously my team back then, and I like Red Bull now. I really like Christian Horner (based only on the series). I don't know why i am not crazy about Max personally, maybe his arrogance, but its him I hope wins, every race. I should be cheering more for Checo, but its Max every time. If LeClerc changed teams i would probably cheer for him. But i just cant pull for Ferrari or Mercedes. No reason. Just can't.

Thank you for this thread.

Welcome Tedfkats! I always got a good response every time I commented on other threads, so I’ve been thinking of starting this for a while.

I was obliquely aware of Senna back then as other great drivers from the past, Stewart, Mansell, Proust, and I lived in Germany during Shumacher’s reign. They sadly were all before I started watching. I watched a Nexflix movie on Senna, called just that Senna. It was great!

I considered myself a casual fan 10-15 yrs ago, a more than casual last 5-10, and full on fanatic last five. I will admit though, I’ve done more of a deep dive due to the Netflix series which I’m embarrassed to say! I now pay more attention to the middle field teams than I did just a few seasons ago.

I like Checo also. I don’t understand the hate out there for Max. He just seems like your typical driver prima Donna! When I really started getting into F1 was when Lewis was dominating so I kind of see him as a whining driver. He seems like a total gentleman off the track and I’ve kind of softened on him since he’s been dethroned by Max.

I think maybe the changes over the last couple years are going bring the mid-level teams closer to the big boys. I’s love to see a Williams compete!

I am a very casual fan but do love F1. It is something that my brothers and I share.

I am a huge Max fan. I genuinely like the guy and think he is just lights out talented.

That being said - there are very few drivers I dislike on the grid. Lewis is a very close second in terms of favorites.

I hope we have another fun season - I am a little worried max will run away with it (read very worried) but I don’t know - I think this is going to be a fun year to watch.

I am a very casual fan but do love F1. It is something that my brothers and I share.

I am a huge Max fan. I genuinely like the guy and think he is just lights out talented.

That being said - there are very few drivers I dislike on the grid. Lewis is a very close second in terms of favorites.

I hope we have another fun season - I am a little worried max will run away with it (read very worried) but I don’t know - I think this is going to be a fun year to watch.
Unless Merc can make the body changes they’re saying are coming over the next five races, I, like you, believe Max will run away with the drivers championship unless Checo can challenge him. Checo went from Pit lane start to P5 I think this last race. The Red Bulls are fast!
Hunt the shunt. If you don't know him just dive into YT and find him. Also Mansel/Senna battles, when F1 was close and less of a parade.
I watched the Ron Howard film on Hunt and Lauda a few years ago which was fantastic! That was the first I’d heard of Jim Hunt. I knew of Nicki Lauda from his continued relationship with F1 teams when I started watching. I’ll check some of those old vids out. Thanks for the heads up!

Unless Merc can make the body changes they’re saying are coming over the next five races, I, like you, believe Max will run away with the drivers championship unless Checo can challenge him. Checo went from Pit lane start to P5 I think this last race. The Red Bulls are fast!

I watched the Ron Howard film on Hunt and Lauda a few years ago which was fantastic! That was the first I’d heard of Jim Hunt. I knew of Nicki Lauda from his continued relationship with F1 teams when I started watching. I’ll check some of those old vids out. Thanks for the heads up!
Yeah - RB is super fast. It will be fu not watch Checo fight with the team all year.

I searched the search but didn’t find any past threads (who wants to dust off a moldy old thread anyway?) specifically on this topic. It pops up many times in threads, so hopefully the topic will find a home here for all gearheads/fans.

I will admit upfront that I’m a recent convert. By recent I mean last 10-15 yrs. Casual at first, my European coworkers are fanatics, and I was watching Top Gear on the BBC USA, who featured F1 drivers frequently. I grew up in the heart of NASCAR country (NC) so the force was strong with me in that regard.
I will watch two turtles race, lawn mowers, go karts, bikes, GP Moto, Daytona/LeMans, just about anything, but right now, I believe F1 has the best product out there for viewing.

With F1’s popularity around the world and growing interest here in the US (we host three races this year!) largely in part to Nexflix’s popular Formula 1: Drive to Survive series (I’ve had three friends become recent converts just on the series alone, one of whom doesn’t even watch the races!?), thought I’d start this thread instead of hijacking others threads jabbering about it!

Whether you’re a fan of F1 or any other type of motor sport/series, fan of the Netflix series, or casually interested, chime in!
I too love all kinds of motorsport but I must say that F1 is more of a drama today.
I was at San Marino's GP (Imola) 1995 and it was all a big party. No one cared if you cheered on Schumacher, Berger or Hill. When the race was over the Prosecco corks flew all around and everybody got a sip.
I have a theory that back then the drivers did die on the track more often than today (that's a good development I think) and that it was more respect involved than today because of that.

I like to follow Indycar Series instead and have done so since the early 90's, in the beginning as much as F1 but today more than F1. I find it more exciting since the rules are quite strict and it's more the driver than the car that matters.

I've been racing touring cars on an amateur and local level. But I helped as a mechanic at Jim Russel's Racing school and got "payed" by having the pleasure of driving the Formula cars when the students didn't. So the fastest I've tried is a F3 car. And I have great respect for the drivers above that level!

With all that said It's fun to see gear heads on lit as well and this thread can be fun. :)

Well 'we' just had the Australian GP here in Melbourne. Wow, what a race! Perhaps I should say series of races! 4 starts? I felt sorry for Alonso getting shunted off on the 3rd start. He is driving as well as ever and in contention for ANOTHER World Championship! Luckily he kept it going and was able to take the last start and finish 3rd, effectively behind the pace car. I thought the 3rd start should have been a rolling one behind a pace car too as with 2 laps to go it was obvious there was going to be a fracas as everyone dived into the first corner. Mercedes lost an engine. Have they overstretched themselves to stay competitive? All eyes were on the Australian driver Piastri. We hope he can do the impossible and be a World Champ. He is made of 'the right stuff' and quick but needs a better car. GO OSCAR!!!
I like F1 and have watched it on TV since Alan Jones won (1980) but this year it is not 'free to air' but have to pay with Kayo. Not fair!!!

I too love all kinds of motorsport but I must say that F1 is more of a drama today.
I was at San Marino's GP (Imola) 1995 and it was all a big party. No one cared if you cheered on Schumacher, Berger or Hill. When the race was over the Prosecco corks flew all around and everybody got a sip.
I have a theory that back then the drivers did die on the track more often than today (that's a good development I think) and that it was more respect involved than today because of that.

I like to follow Indycar Series instead and have done so since the early 90's, in the beginning as much as F1 but today more than F1. I find it more exciting since the rules are quite strict and it's more the driver than the car that matters.

I've been racing touring cars on an amateur and local level. But I helped as a mechanic at Jim Russel's Racing school and got "payed" by having the pleasure of driving the Formula cars when the students didn't. So the fastest I've tried is a F3 car. And I have great respect for the drivers above that level!

With all that said It's fun to see gear heads on lit as well and this thread can be fun. :)
I don’t have anything to compare to from the early era’s but I bet you’re not far off the mark.

I can probably count on one hand how many Indy 500’s I’ve missed over the last 40yrs but I’ve found it very hard to follow the series for what ever reason. Growing up in NASCAR land you were either a Stock car fan or Indy fan. That sounds ridiculous on its face but that’s just how it was. There was a time they just weren’t on TV much, and then that whole merger split thing in the 90’s (IRL/CART)? Seemed to have hurt the brand for a while.

I’ve started to watch some of the different races, mostly road course type, of the Indy series over the last few years and have really started getting into it. I’d love to see Indy do a Monte Carlo style race in San Fran or some cool location. I caught that race in Homestead I think it was a few weeks ago and it was very entertaining.

Cool you’ve actually driven an F3! I’d love to do one of those driver school‘s and log some time behind the wheel.

Well 'we' just had the Australian GP here in Melbourne. Wow, what a race! Perhaps I should say series of races! 4 starts? I felt sorry for Alonso getting shunted off on the 3rd start. He is driving as well as ever and in contention for ANOTHER World Championship! Luckily he kept it going and was able to take the last start and finish 3rd, effectively behind the pace car. I thought the 3rd start should have been a rolling one behind a pace car too as with 2 laps to go it was obvious there was going to be a fracas as everyone dived into the first corner. Mercedes lost an engine. Have they overstretched themselves to stay competitive? All eyes were on the Australian driver Piastri. We hope he can do the impossible and be a World Champ. He is made of 'the right stuff' and quick but needs a better car. GO OSCAR!!!
I like F1 and have watched it on TV since Alan Jones won (1980) but this year it is not 'free to air' but have to pay with Kayo. Not fair!!!
Oscar is definitely made of the right stuff! A bidding war over him and high expectations. He’ll have to pay his dues with the mid level teams then probably get picked up with one of the stronger teams later. I’d like to see him hang in with McLaren and be part of their resurgence.

I’m on the Alonso bandwagon this year. I’d love to see him challenge the Red Bulls all season. Hope he gets a a win or three to boot!

I don’t have anything to compare to from the early era’s but I bet you’re not far off the mark.

I can probably count on one hand how many Indy 500’s I’ve missed over the last 40yrs but I’ve found it very hard to follow the series for what ever reason. Growing up in NASCAR land you were either a Stock car fan or Indy fan. That sounds ridiculous on its face but that’s just how it was. There was a time they just weren’t on TV much, and then that whole merger split thing in the 90’s (IRL/CART)? Seemed to have hurt the brand for a while.

I’ve started to watch some of the different races, mostly road course type, of the Indy series over the last few years and have really started getting into it. I’d love to see Indy do a Monte Carlo style race in San Fran or some cool location. I caught that race in Homestead I think it was a few weeks ago and it was very entertaining.

Cool you’ve actually driven an F3! I’d love to do one of those driver school‘s and log some time behind the wheel.
I've been follow F1 since 1973 when Ronnie Pettersson got his contract with Lotus. F1 then really hit the roof here in Sweden. We also hosted the GP at Anderstorp Raceway between 1973-1978.

There are two Swedish drivers participating in Indy race this year, so I will try to follow the result. Time zones makes it difficult to follow live.

Yes I have. And the most impressive thing about them is not the road holding. It's the breaks! The road holding and acceleration is impressive, but the breaks are on a whole different level even compared to race prepared touring cars. It took a while to learn were to break so I didn't have to put it in first gear and drive to the curve. :rolleyes:

And the most impressive thing about them is not the road holding. It's the breaks! The road holding and acceleration is impressive, but the breaks are on a whole different level even compared to race prepared touring cars. It took a while to learn were to break so I didn't have to put it in first gear and drive to the curve. :rolleyes:
What do you mean? Stopping power?

I think Cogan meant brakes. Yes, there is no substitute for light weight. Less mass to move and stop. THE 'secret' to high performance....just ask Colin Chapman. (perhaps use a clairvoyant or weiji board!)

Yes, brakes. Sorry, misspelled. Easy mistake to make when English is not my first language. :giggle:
I think Cogan meant brakes. Yes, there is no substitute for light weight. Less mass to move and stop. THE 'secret' to high performance....just ask Colin Chapman. (perhaps use a clairvoyant or weiji board!)
Yes, the weight of the car and the grip of the tires.
Here is a clip were they compare a BMW M3 with a BMW Williams F1. The speed is 120 mph (ca. 190 km/h) when they hit the brakes.

I love this fucking shit. And this weekend cars are back on the menu, boys. Let's see how fast Ferarri can bring two young studs to depression again.

Have been a fan of Jim Clark, Graham Hill, Jackie Stewart, Niki Lauda and Sebastian Vettel, but my hands-down favorite was Ayrton Senna. A joy to watch his driving intensity. Something about Max Verstappen reminds me of Senna, can’t quite put my finger on it, but maybe it’s some of that same intensity. Shame I couldn’t have been around in the 1930s to watch the Mercedes and Auto Unions battle on those old European tracks as well.

Sadly I didn’t see Senna in his prime. I watched the Netflix or Prime biography, Senna that was fantastic.

Baku, who ya got? I heard Leclerc took pole for the sprint. Could be Ferrari’s day in the Gran Prix?

Sergio‘s got pole this week. Does he overtake Max? Doesn’t look like a big crowd in Miami?

Oh, and Danika is looking top notch today! Her outfits just keep impressing!

Congrats Max on a superb drive. The team strategy worked on hard compounds. I guess I just tuned in too early as the crowd was 30k BIGGER than last year!

This was only the 14th race in F1 history to have no retirements!

IMG_1878.jpeg

PS. I still have the hots for Danika. SkySports should hire her full time instead of just the North American races!

Back