The Playground Summer Reading Program!

SherlockianMan

Lit Librarian
It's that time of year when all the libraries are kicking off their summer reading program. Since there are a lot of avid readers on Lit, I thought we should join in the fun!

If you want to start, they're will be three ways to play along:
1. Read whatever you want, but you have to give your mini-review of each book and whether you would recommend it or not.
2. Each week, I will give a new challenge and we will discuss what you read and if you enjoyed said challenge.
3. If you don't have the time to accomplish a book a week (completely understandable) feel free to sub a Lit story instead. You can follow along with the challenges still if applicable.​

Sound fun? Feel free to join in. No pressure, just for enjoyment.

WEEK 1 CHALLENGE:

Read a book in a genre that is new or unusual for you.

WEEK 2 CHALLENGE

In honor of Juneteenth, read a book written by an African American author or a book with an African American protagonist.

WEEK 3 CHALLENGE

Read a graphic novel or collected comic series. Comics aren't just for kids!

Book count Leaderboard​
  1. Indiesoul 4​
  2. Crazychemgirl 2​
  3. SherlockianMan 2​
  4. Radiantcurves87 1​

Last edited:
My first review is Babel by RF Kuang.
Set in an alternate history of Victorian era Oxford College, students are taught multiple languages in order to use magic that's power is derived from the interplay and connectiveness of words and word origins. An intriguing look at colonialism, academia, and etymology that is both thought provoking and holds your attention. Would absolutely recommend.

IMG_7864.jpeg
Just finished this book.

It has such a funny, quirky writing style as the main character is a little old Asian lady. What I loved is the mystery, as every chapter gave little tidbits of mystery without revealing anything. It was a quick, enjoyable read. Definitely recommend.

View attachment 2239657
Just finished this book.

It has such a funny, quirky writing style as the main character is a little old Asian lady. What I loved is the mystery, as every chapter gave little tidbits of mystery without revealing anything. It was a quick, enjoyable read. Definitely recommend.
Have you read Dial A for Aunties by the same author? I read that one last summer. Very cute book. Mom and aunties help hide a dead body.

Thought: Should we create a leader board for books read? Might be fun. We can also add one for stories. Of course this will depend on people joining in.

Leader board added. Want to be a part? Just tell us your current book title and give a review.

Just finished Lock Every Door … and damn that was a ride!!

It kept you guessing with every page.. and just when you think you’ve figured it out it twists again. 5⭐

On Saturday I finished reading Birthday Girl by Penelope Douglas. She might be my new favorite author, I really liked this book!

On Sunday I read Praise by Sara Cate and highly recommend for anyone who loves to read about submission and getting involved with someone that's forbidden.

I just finished Welcome To The Dark Side by Giana Darling. I'm not sure I would recommend this one. I love a good age gap, but they really played up some age things that made me cringe.

I just started Hero by Jolie Vines.

About halfway through The Story of Art Without Men by Katy Hessel. A nonfiction book that examines how women artist are too often left out or erased from art history books. Both interesting and infuriating so far, but I'm grateful for being introduced to so many new to me artists.

Week 3 challenge has been added. For those doing stories instead of books, a single issue of a comic or an erotic art collection counts.

This week I've read Punk 57 and Corrupt, both by Penelope Douglas. She's quickly becoming one of my favorite authors!

Penelope Douglas is very good. I've read Tryst Six Venom. I got others from her on my list TBR. But that list is FOREVER long

Back