Days of the walking dead (CLOSED)

Mandy

As the women returned from the market, there was a letter in the post box. Johann’s mother parked the car and asked Mandy and Johann’s sister helped unload the car. She walked out to the post box to get the letter.

As Mandy and Johann’s sister completed unloading the car, they both looked at Johann’s mother with curiosity about the letter.

“It is a letter from the Wehrmacht, addressed to Johann” she explained.

Soon, Johann and his brother and father joined everyone in the kitchen. Johann opened the letter and read it quickly. He look on the back of the letter for more, but it was blank.

"What does it say?" Mandy asked

“We will be picked up tomorrow at 0800. I’m to wear my best uniform.” Johann explained

“Is that all it says?” Mandy asked

“Yes” Johann replied showing her the one sentence letter.

“Is that good or bad?” Mandy asked. Johann shrugged his shoulders.

“I’m certain it is good news. But I was hoping for a longer visit” Johann’s mother said in disappointment.

“Then we must enjoy the time remaining” Johann’s father announced. He reached up and opened a small cabinet. He pulled out a bottle of Bärenjäger. Bärenjäger, which translates to “bear hunter,” is a honey-flavored, vodka-based liqueur and a bottle of Jägermeister.

“Let’s start with some drinks!” He said

Usually, when Johann was told to wear his best uniform, it was to receive a recommendation or promotion. He was quite certain that they would not send out the letter to have him court-martialed and executed. But then again with the SS in charge, stranger things were known to have happened.

When his father took out the Bärenjäger and Jägermeister, he knew that it was his way to ease tensions and of course, strong alcohol helped to do that, especially tasty alcohol. His mother pulled in Mandy and Heidi's help to start lunch and prepare pastries and even start on dinner. Johann poured shots for everybody and placed the Jägermeister in the ice box to get chilled.

The honey liqueur didn't need the same treatment and Johann was just again reminded of how potent it was after his second glass, he excused himself and went outside, needing the fresh air to order his mind a bit. He was sitting on the back stairs when Mandy joined him and sat down, linking her arm through his and resting her head on his shoulder.

"You alright?"

He nodded, "Just thinking."

"Do you think we will be alright?"

He thought about that for a moment, "Yes, I believe so. The summons came from the army and they do not let you get dressed up to kill or jail you."

"Your mother bought me two whole outfits," Mandy said, almost pouting.

Johann chuckled, "She's hard to say no to."

"So I've noticed. You Germans can be quite pigheaded."

He chuckled, "But pragmatic as well."

"True. Let's go back inside before they start missing us."

"Oh, we are already being checked out through the windows. Curious bunch this family of mine. But yes, let's go back inside."

Mandy

Everyone had a fun that afternoon and evening. Drinking and toasting and singing. The Germans just love to sing when drinking. Mandy joined in on any songs she knew. Then Mandy and Johann went to bed. They both knew the next day would be long and the start early.

The shinning black car arrived right on time, and Johann was in his best uniform. Mandy wore a nice, modest dress. The soldier that picked them up said nothing, but did open the door for Mandy and Johann.

Mandy continued to be worried about what was going to happen, but Johann said whatever it was, it was not going to be a bad thing.

The car arrived at the Army building where they had been interrogated. There was a small crowd awaiting for them as the car arrived. All the soldiers were call to attention as Johann stepped out of the car. Major Lars AKA Major Frumpy was there to meet him. Major Frumpy did not look frumpy anymore. He also was in his best uniform.

He saluted Johann and then shook his hand.

“You and Ms van Dee have been cleared in the investigation” He told Johann. “And the Wehrmacht has a nice medal for you.” He added with a smile.

Johann and Mandy were led to the inside courtyard of the building where there had been seating set up for the ceremony. Most of the seats were filled, as the last few people came in to the yard. Johann and Mandy sat in special chairs on the small stage

A Narrator began to speak “Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to today’s Award Ceremony. Our host for today's ceremony is the Generalmajor Hans Kaustsen. Please stand for the arrival of the official party and remain standing for the singing of our national anthem and invocation delivered by chaplain.

The official party arrived, and the anthem and invocation were completed

Narrator announced “Please be seated. Ladies and gentlemen, Generalmajor Kaustsen.”

There was applause, as the Generalmajor stood at the center of the stage.

“Good morning everyone” He started “We are gathered today to present one of the highest awards for combat valor and accomplishments the Wehrmacht can bestow. Major Johann Schmidt Front and Center."

Johann got up and moved in front of the general.

“Major Johann Schmidt for bravery before the enemy and for excellence in commanding troops. I award you the German Cross.” The general said and he pinned the medal on Johann’s uniform.

General turned to the audience “Due to the classified nature of the Major’s mission, I cannot further explain his heroic actions. However, I have read a full report, and I can assure everyone here he is most deserving of this honor.”

There was applause.

“Marije van Dee, please come forward.” The general said. Mandy walked and stood next to Johann.

“In recognition of your outstanding service to the war effort, I award you War Merit Medal” The general said to Mandy and pinned a medal to her dress.

There was more applause.

“This concludes today’s ceremony” Narrator said ending the event.

Major Lars came over to Mandy and Johann.

“Congratulations... Now please follow me back to my office. We can discuss you next assignment” He told Johann.

Last edited:
As Mandy and Johann followed Major Lars, Johann whispered softly to Mandy, "I wonder if you reached a quota of sleeping with officers or killing zombies."

She gave him a confused glance and he grinned, "The War Merit is usually given for quotas exceeded by civilian workers."

Mandy gave him a smirk, "I think I killed enough zombies to put some soldiers to shame."

They shared a soft chuckle. Once, inside the office, Major Lars took off his tie and opened the top button of his shirt, "Something to drink?"

Johann and Mandy both shook their heads and the Major waved them towards the chairs as he poured himself a drink from a decanter and sat down behind his desk.

"So I have papers here for the both of you to sign, basically swearing you both to silence about what truly happened in Rhenen."

He took two folders from his desk drawer and opened them, Johann took a pen from his jacket's inner pocket and signed his paper without reading it. Mandy looked through the pages, then held out her hand for Johann's pen. She also signed without saying anything, but Johann knew that she wasn't happy.

"Unfortunately we can't turn back time yet, there was a loss of civilians as well as soldiers' lives. There will be a rebuilding effort launched soon to repair the damage and restore the town and the surroundings. That is all that we could get the SS ba . . . staff to agree to. As they have the ear of the Fuhrer, there is not much else that the Wehrmacht can do."

Johann nodded, the overall view of the SS and Gestapo was kept out of public knowledge, but it did not mean that the soldiers did not know of the mutual distaste.

The Major took the folders and placed them aside, "Now, you have two options, Johann. You can be deployed to Rhenen, assist in the rebuilding and build up a new training camp, this time without the SS bunker. Or you can choose where you want to be assigned. Unless you decide that you want to retire and help your father in his shop."

Johann narrowed his eyes slightly, but kept his peace about the last part of the statement, "To be honest Major, I want to know what will happen with Mandy."

Major Lars leaned back in his chair, "She will be free to go where ever she pleases and there is a sum of money available to her to settle comfortably into her new place."

Mandy

Mandy’s head was still spinning from the award ceremony and then Major Lars gave her money. This was turning out to be a pretty good day after all, she thought. She was surprised and flattered Johann asked about her before deciding on his next assignment. He was so thoughtful.

“So where do you wish to live?” Major Lars asked Mandy

“Johann, you should decide first, I can follow him” Mandy answered

“The Major asked you a question. You need to answer him. You want to go back to the interrogation room?” Johann joked.

“NO!" Mandy answered. "I could resettle to the area east of Arnhem. Open up a small bakery shop. There is a small town called Duiven. The town’s name translates to "doves". It sounds peaceful” Mandy answered. "It is also far enough away from Rhenen, no one will know me there."

Maj Lars nodded at Mandy's words and looked at Johann with a sly grin, "Then I take it that you would like to transfer to Arnhem?"

Johann kept his face impassive, "If the Fatherland and the Fuhrer wish me to serve at Arnhem, then it is my duty and my pleasure to do as is required of me."

Maj Lars grinned and filled in a form that lay in front of him, "You will be shipped out in two days, you will be in charge of the bridge defenses around Arnhem until a suitable post becomes available. Your service as an instructor and leader has been noticed and you are expected to fulfill this role with the same fervor and zeal as displayed in the past."

Johann stood up from his chair and saluted the Major, who in turn rose from his seat, returned the salute, and handed the orders over to Johann, "Now that the official part is over." Maj Lars sat down again, pulled a paper close, and wrote on it.

"Relocation as a Dutch-German citizen, highest merit and engaged to an officer." He muttered to himself, Johann cleared his throat.

"Begging the Major's pardon, we are not engaged."

Maj Lars waved him to silence, "You should be, women like this are hard to find. No further interruptions."

Johann looked at Mandy and shrugged, it was out of his hands.

Mandy

“I think the Major has made a very good point. You should ask for my hand in marriage” Mandy piped up.

“Pushy, opinionated, Dutch women” Johann said under his breath, but loud enough so the major and Mandy heard it. Both of them started to laugh.

“I was teasing. Johann” Mandy explained and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

Duiven, 10 days later.

Mandy stood in front of her new bakery and home. The bakery was on the ground floor, with the living quarters on the first floor. The shop looked great, and was very Dutch. All the windows had flower boxes under them, full of flowers. Johann had been kind enough to help her paint the exterior.

“Now I just need customers.” Mandy said to herself. She headed inside and started to bake additional items as she waited for customers. Soon there was a ring as people came through the front door. It was all of Johann’s men!

“Oh Miss, there are some very hungry men here and they all want to try your bread and cakes!” Johann said with a big smile.

“Certainly, Major Schmidt” Mandy answer formally.

It took some time, but Mandy filled everyone’s orders. The men were all very complimentary about her breads and cakes. Maybe because Johann was there, but Mandy heard some very earnest comments. She had also sold everything at a reduced price. She understood, that each soldier would spread the word about a cheap and good place to get lunch.

Mandy could not believe how her life had changed. How much better things had become and how bright her future was. She still had a fear about dying and becoming a zombie. If Johann and her did get married, it would be something they needed to discuss. Even with the war going on, Arnham seem quiet and forgotten. Death did not seem nearby.

Johann

Johann had stood to one side with his aide, watching as the men of his unit practically emptied out Mandy's supply of bread and cakes, he gave the aide leave to join the men, they were all sitting outside enjoying the fresh bread with supplies they had picked up from a grocer a few buildings away.

"This uniform is a silly one, it covers everything."

Mandy turned to him with a smile as he leaned against the counter, he winked at her, "This seems to fit you much better than being a student."

"Oh really?" She arched an eyebrow at him.

He chuckled, "Apart from the dab of flour on your cheek, yes indeed."

He watched in amusement as she tried to get the non-existent flour from her cheeks, she paused and then glared at him and he smiled.

"Just for that, I will not share my new peach strudel with you." She placed her hands on her hips, "Why are you here anyway? You don't normally move around with your men."

"I actually received news today." He looked around to make sure they could not be overheard and leaned closer to her, in reflex, she leaned closer to him as well. "One of the soldiers based at Rhenen died two days ago."

Johann looked at her, "He died, and did not get back up to try and eat people. It turns out that the chemical only works for a short period of time and the outbreak happened at the wrong time, if it had happened three or four days later, the impact would not have been so large."

He gave her time to process this information, "On a personal note, my mother and sister asked if you know of a place where they can stay when they come to visit you."

Mandy looked taken aback, "They want to visit me? Why?"

Johann smiled slightly, "Because I had an old family wedding band resized, they say that want to come and make certain that I ask you if you want to wear it."

Mandy

Mandy was confused and a little dazed. She did not understand what Johann was telling her.

"Mandy?” Johann asked after he received no answer. The expression on his face was a little hurt.

“A ring… why would you give me a family wedding ring?” Mandy asked, still in confusion.

Johann hurt expression worsened. "Because…” He started to answer. But Mandy's mind finally processed what he was saying.

"Johann!” Mandy gasped “Are you proposing to me?" she asked. His face brightened again. That gave her the answer to her question. "I'm sorry, I never expected to marry anyone.” Mandy said.

“So?” Johann asked

“Yes, I'll marry you!!" Mandy answered and kissed him. It was a huge kiss with a long hug.

Johann

Mandy's confused silence lasted so long that he actually thought that she was thinking of a way to let him down gently, but it suddenly dawned on her and the response was much better than what he had expected. As they embraced the soldiers outside cheered and whistled.

"They knew?" Mandy asked and Johann grimaced.

"Tough to keep a secret when you are not used to having an aide who shadows your every move."

Mandy grinned, "I hope he doesn't follow you everywhere."

Johann chuckled, "I will lock him in his room tonight."

The two of them laughed and Mandy pulled from the embrace, "I will share the Peach Strudel with you after all."

WILL THERE BE MORE ADVENTURES FOR JOHANN AND MANDY? MAYBE, STAY TUNED TO FIND OUT.

Back