Time (closed for Indie)

OrdinaryPerson

sweet and sincere
@Indie

Melody sneezed as she set down the heavy box of pictures she took down from the attic. The box had sat undisturbed for years and a thick layer of dust had gathered on the lid. She had taken the box from her grandmother’s house when she moved into a nursing home, meaning to organize the loose pictures and mementos inside into photo books and displays for her grandmother’s new room. But life had gotten busy with newborn twins and then another baby until she forgot all about the box. She had forgotten anyway, until her beloved grandmother mentioned the box two weeks ago, right before passing away, telling her to be careful.

Now she was taking a break in between doing laundry to shift through the memories. Heeding her grandmother’s warning, she had made sure to wait until her kids were at preschool and her hands were clean before touching the treasures inside. She smiled as she found school pictures of cousins, siblings, and her younger self, pictures she remembered seeing at her grandmother’s house before they were rotated out for more recent ones. She also found pictures of her grandparents together, some while they were young and maybe still dating. She looked away when she felt tears starting to sting her eyes as she thought about how in love her grandmother was with her grandfather and how she had embraced her role as a mom and wife so fully, something that Melody had always admired but struggled herself with. Even though her grandfather had passed a few years before her grandmother, she often thought about their relationship and tried to draw strength from it during the low points of her marriage. Be careful with the box, she remembered her grandmother warning again, and concentrated on holding back her tears so nothing would be damaged.

She dug deeper into the box and found a small decorative box, tied with red ribbon, like a present, ready to give to someone. She gently untied the ribbon and opened the box to find a beautifully handwritten letter, unsigned and addressed only to a “You”. Under the letter was a small antique looking key. She gasped as she started reading the letter, telling herself that it couldn't be for her grandmother. It was impossible that anyone but her grandfather would have written something so intimate and so explicit to her grandmother, could have propositioned her so clearly. She couldn't let herself believe that her grandmother would have carefully preserved the letter instead of trashing it as nonsense if it was written to her.

Dearest You,

It has been weeks since I last saw you, but it feels like a lifetime. I can still taste your sweet nectar on my lips and feel your delicious curves beneath my fingers. You. You. You. You consume my thoughts just like you consumed my heart on the first night we kissed, in the courtyard after the horrible fire that cost my family almost everything. You have always been such a good girl, and you wanted to take away my pain. And my God, you did. I never expected the girl next door to grow into such a breathtaking woman, but that's exactly what you did. When the nights here become lonely, I find myself drifting back to our first night together with my erect member in hand. The night I took your innocence under the stars on my brother's farm. I never would have imagined that virginal body would be capable of such debauchery, but now I know I'll never forget it. I fear I do not know when I will return from this voyage, but I'm sending you something for safe keeping until my return. Take this to our special meeting spot and you'll know what to do. X

And that's where the letter ended. Melody scrambled to look for a second page, she had to know what the key was for and who the letter was from, but it wasn't there. She carefully combed through the box one more time with no luck. Is this what her grandmother warned her to be careful about? Melody knew her grandmother didn't meet her grandfather until after the war... but this... this... sounds like something that happened first.

@OrdinaryPerson

Melody knew that her grandmother grew up in a small town in New Jersey before moving to New York with her grandfather. As far as Melody knew, her grandfather was the only man her grandmother ever dated. She picked up the phone and called her mom, hoping that she might know something.

Hi Mom. It's me. I'm just going through grandma's stuff and I found a odd letter. Have you ever heard grandma mention a neighbor's house having a fire? Back when she was still living in New Jersey?

She heard her mother thinking. A low hmmm coming through the phone. There might have been. I remember visiting the town with her right before you were born and she showed me the house she grew up on. There was one house on her street that was newer and bigger than all the other houses. It really stood out as odd n this 100 year old neighborhood. I commented on it and if I remember correctly, she told me that it was still an empty lot when she moved out of the town because a fire had destroyed the old house there.

Do you know if Grandma had any friends that lived in that house? Anyone she was close to her?

No. She didn't say she didn't say anything in particular about who lived there. But those days, the town was so small, everyone knew everyone. I can't imagine her not knowing someone who lived on her street. What going on with all these questions?

Nothing really. I'm just trying to understand a letter I found in Grandma's things. I have to go pick up the kids but could you please find Grandma's old address and text it to me? Thanks mom!

@Indie

Back