Challenge - How Distinctive Is Your Writing?

drksideofthemoon said:
Next time, I will use a Maruti 800, and you will get all of the blame... :D
You won't know how to. You'll probably make the Maruti clip-clop down the lane. :D

damppanties said:
You won't know how to. You'll probably make the Maruti clip-clop down the lane. :D

Oh, oh, I'll show you....

She spent all morning fixing her hair and finding the perfect outfit. She was going out to meet a friend for coffee and wanted to look perfect.

After checking the street for wandering buffalo, she opened the door to the garage, and her gleaming, Maruti 800. She sighed pensively, and nodded, "Yes, life is better with a Maruti."

"I'm ready to go," she called out as she slipped into the driver's seat of the sleek new automobile.

Brian waved as he hitched the horse to the front of the Maruti.

She rolled up the window and turned on the AC as the car effortlessly glided down the street......with the horse clip clopping along in front....

drksideofthemoon said:
Oh, oh, I'll show you....

She spent all morning fixing her hair and finding the perfect outfit. She was going out to meet a friend for coffee and wanted to look perfect.

After checking the street for wandering buffalo, she opened the door to the garage, and her gleaming, Maruti 800. She sighed pensively, and nodded, "Yes, life is better with a Maruti."

"I'm ready to go," she called out as she slipped into the driver's seat of the sleek new automobile.

Brian waved as he hitched the horse to the front of the Maruti.

She rolled up the window and turned on the AC as the car effortlessly glided down the street......with the horse clip clopping along in front....
LMAO.

:D :D :D
:kiss:

perfect_munachi said:
Hehe, actually we did. run out of words, that is. and decided this would make a nice ending, as the story we had come up with had turned out to be much much too long. the last sentence was first a joke, but i liked it and wanted to keep it. maybe i have a weird sense of humour i suppose, sorry, can't help it, am german.

but since neither of us has gone with the orient express, it is indeed fiction.

It was weird to have two orient express stories in the same group...that story seemed to be going along so nicely, and then - 'poof' - what happend?

Most strange!

...there are some things I've read I can't forget. Cheerful_deviant had a
hissy fit about always writing FF stories, and there's one absolutely
stand-out FF story here - quite shockingly hot for something so
short.

5 cheerful_deviant - WRONG! Was TE999! I was so confident of that one!

Thanks for the compliment, Simon! :)

I don't think anyone guessed me.

Of course I'm not quite as well known.

Interesting story guessing methodology, BTW. And it worked, sorta. ;)

Vermilion said:
But how much poetry does one lose to brevity?
x
V

If there were such a thing as poetry, you would gain based on brevity....

crystal.....clear.... :nana:

Looking at this whole challenge, in a way I cheated. There is no prose posted anymore for one to consider my writing style. In a way, I was another form of wild card.

Wooohoo!!! Yead-end paperwork is over. I may actually get my life back!

Thank you, Minsue, for giving us those extra few days- it gave me something to do with my Sunday besides watch a ball game. :D

Did anyone else read a few Lit pages from each author in the challenge? Who else got down to three American stories left with three British authors unaccounted for? :rolleyes: By then I was just too tired to try and figure it all out. And who else did not not not use a spreadsheet?

When I read Simon's "shit hot" comment, I smiled and thought, Of course it is, Stella wrote it! ;) Hers was one of several stories I felt pretty confident about based on style alone. Others I guessed because of perculiar ingredients, or lack thereof- like the little red duck's apparent allergy to dialogue. One story I read three times and I still didn't get it- but that gave me a big hint whose it was. Some stories I wouldn't have guessed if minsue had given us a year- looking up what a Willys is sure didn't help any!

Though Stella's was hot, if you pinned me down I'd have to say TE999's was a shade hotter. It's easily one of the best second-person perspective stories that I've ever read- although it was the perspective that lead me to guess wrong, go figure.

Even though it wasn't hot, I liked the one about the bicycle too, thought it's kinda hard to recognize the work of an author with no posted stories. Not fair!

And 'Desire is stronger than love.'- what a great line!

Allegro. Staccato. Fugue. I loved that too!

Thanks again, Minsue! :nana:

Last edited:
TE999 said:
...there are some things I've read I can't forget. Cheerful_deviant had a
hissy fit about always writing FF stories, and there's one absolutely
stand-out FF story here - quite shockingly hot for something so
short.

5 cheerful_deviant - WRONG! Was TE999! I was so confident of that one!

Thanks for the compliment, Simon! :)

I think that has to count as one of the hottest stories of any length I've read for some time. Definitely outstanding, and I shall be reading more.

Penelope Street said:
Allegro. Staccato. Fugue. I loved that too!

i don't understand why it made me smile so huge that you guessed my blurb...it just did.

vella_ms said:
i don't understand why it made me smile so huge that you guessed my blurb...it just did.
You made me smile too, using words I adore, like 'betwixt'- though I was far from confident about who wrote your story. With the poets in the mix, the above line really made it a tough choice. In the end, it was just a feeling more than anything else.

Though Stella's was hot, if you pinned me down I'd have to say TE999's was a shade hotter. It's easily one of the best second-person perspective stories that I've ever read-

Thank you for the compliment, Penelope :)

This contest was fun and gave some of the lesser known writers such as myself a tad more exposure to the wide world of Lit.

I know I'll be clicking on a few links here and there as time permits.

So many wonderful stories, so little time...:(

I was just honored to have been a part of something with so many immensely talented writers. :D I hope I did alright. :)

Trombonus said:
I was just honored to have been a part of something with so many immensely talented writers. :D I hope I did alright. :)

My feelings exactly.

Back