Challenge - How Distinctive Is Your Writing?

SimonBrooke said:
It's half done, I just never finished it. Would you like me to look even more foolish?
You don't look foolish at all. I found it fascinating. :)

SimonBrooke said:
I wouldn't be too sure of that. Why do you think my AV only shows my back?
I thought you were just showin' off your arse. :cool:

Vermilion said:
Hee hee hee
x
V - Welcome to the dark side ! <evil chuckles>
Just tryin' to be neighborly. ;) (and yes, I know I'm missing the superfluous "u"...:rolleyes: :D)

minsue said:
Just tryin' to be neighborly. ;) (and yes, I know I'm missing the superfluous "u"...:rolleyes: :D)

See. Just sheer laziness. I mean - one extra letter? Come *on* :p
x
V

Vermilion said:
See. Just sheer laziness. I mean - one extra letter? Come *on* :p
x
V
Not lazy, just concise. No unnecessary vowels need apply.

Vermilion said:
But how much poetry does one lose to brevity?
x
V
You've obviously never seen my "poetry", if you ask me that. Brevity is probably the one underlying theme running throughout. ;)

I'm flattered that the majority thought I wrote what Mat, Selena, and Ftf wrote.

I do wonder though why someone thought I wrote about London, lol and why Simon thought it was surreal...

SimonBrooke said:
I wouldn't be too sure of that. Why do you think my AV only shows my back?
And here's me writing all this buggery at the moment- I didn't even think twice, Simon... :rolleyes:

Looking foolish one more time...

SimonBrooke said:
Damn. Looks like I'll have to do it then. Hang on, there...

1 528 words 34 sentences, average 15.53 words. POV M Erotic encounters MF SE USA train 2 Male, older Skip
2 737 words 42 sentences, average 11.88 words. POV 3rd person Romance MF ? UK car 4 Female, younger Mills
3 499 words 29 sentences, average 17.17 words. POV 3rd person Erotic encounters MF Europe train 1 WTF? Is this fiction? Did he run out of words? Remec
4 500 words 22 sentences, average 9.36 words. POV 3rd person Non erotic F US car 2 Excerpt?
5 578 words 34 sentences, average 15.62 words. POV F Erotic encounters FF DKDC taxi 5 Hot, hot, hot, hot, hot, hot, hot cheerful_deviant
6 500 words 23 sentences, average 21.74 words. POV M Non erotic MF US Aircraft 3 Probably male
7 477 words 19 sentences, average 25.11 words. POV M Erotic encounters MFF Europe train 5 Probably male
8 497 words 49 sentences, average 10.14 words. POV 3rd person Romance MF Unstated Aircraft 3 Probably male
9 1424 words 93 sentences, average 15.31 words. POV F Non erotic FM US car 5 Consumerist fetishes- almost certainly female, despite the car. Quality. Charley
10 499 words 27 sentences, average 18.48 words. POV 3rd person Romance MF Mexico jeep 4 ??
11 498 words 24 sentences, average 20.75 words. POV M Erotic encounters MFF+ US Aircraft 2 Probably male
12 206 words 13 sentences, average 15.85 words. POV 3rd person Romance ?? Unstated none 4 Excerpt. Sophisticated writer probably female ILUIM
13 531 words 29 sentences, average 18.31 words. POV M Romance MM Unstated underground 4 ??
14 388 words 21 sentences, average 18.48 words. POV M Non erotic MF Unstated Angel wings 5 ??

OK, it's impossible to go into this exercise completely innocent;
there are some things I've read I can't forget. Cheerful_deviant had a
hissy fit about always writing FF stories, and there's one absolutely
stand-out FF story here - quite shockingly hot for something so
short. So I'm starting by assigning cherful_deviant to 5. 12 I suspect
is also FF but it isn't explicit.

Right. That leaves two writers on my personal favourites list - ILUIM
and Charley - who I damned well ought to be able to recognise. And
Mills, because I've been reading a lot of her stuff lately.

OK, 2 definitely feels like Mills. Setting is UK; contemporary; not
over romanticised; emotionally warm. Go with Mills for 2.

Charley... I need not to be too influenced by the superb Screening. I
know what Charley can do, but I don't know what she can't do. It's
going to be one of the good ones. 9? 9 has a depth of psychological
insight, and is thoroughly well written... Against it, it's overlong,
and I would expect a poet to write tight. But... provisionally let's
associate 9 with Charley. Although 13 is also possible and 10 isn't
impossible.

ILUIM. Does historical; sets stories in New England... H'mmm. 12?

OK, the men. Skip is older and has a... certain attitude to women. 1?
It has a feel of his work.

Remec tends to write 3rd person Erotic encounters. 3 is a 3rd person
erotic encounter.

In searching for something else I've just accidentally seen
neoneurotic wrote 10, so that doesn't count as a guess.

jushorny tends to write group sex, we'll allot him 11.

Beyond that I would just be guessing.

OK, and the score is:

1 Skip - right
2 Mills - right
3 Remec - wrong, perfect_munachi
5 cheerful_deviant - WRONG! Was TE999! I was so confident of that one!
9 Charley - wrong (and, indeed, all of my Charley guesses were wrong), ILUIM
Which means
12 ILUIM - also wrong
11 jushorny - right, but it was really only a guess based on category not style.

Still 3/14. Not bad. But even though I tried very carefully not to
look at the results, I can't rule out the possibility that I have
done.

And
Mills, because I've been reading a lot of her stuff lately.

OK, 2 definitely feels like Mills. Setting is UK; contemporary; not
over romanticised; emotionally warm. Go with Mills for 2.

A teeny bit of me is annoyed that you found this so easy, but then you have read more of my stuff (and more in depth) than most people :D

I like that you call it warm but not overly romanticised. There's a soppy streak in me that I'm always scared will get into my work and trash it by making it smushy and vomit-inducing :D

Why did you say 'younger' Mils?

x
V

ps- I am very ashamed I didn't pikc out your story which is highly typical of your style. In my defence I read it before I started editing all your work ;)

ps- highly technical methodology btw - shame it wasn't more successful
x
V

Vermilion said:
A teeny bit of me is annoyed that you found this so easy, but then you have read more of my stuff (and more in depth) than most people :D

I was actually pleased that people that know me, and that have read my work, picked my piece out easily.

drksideofthemoon said:
I was actually pleased that people that know me, and that have read my work, picked my piece out easily.
I keep telling you why that is but you don't believe me. :p

Vermilion said:

I like that you call it warm but not overly romanticised. There's a soppy streak in me that I'm always scared will get into my work and trash it by making it smushy and vomit-inducing :D

Why did you say 'younger' Mils?

Sorry, the columns in the spreadsheet don't come out when I cut and paste it...

In my notes column, it has 'Female, younger' (which was the impression I got from the read-through) and in my author column it has 'Mills'.

I'm not saying anything about Boone.

SimonBrooke said:
3 499 words 29 sentences, average 17.17 words. POV 3rd person Erotic encounters MF Europe train 1 WTF? Is this fiction? Did he run out of words? Remec
Hehe, actually we did. run out of words, that is. and decided this would make a nice ending, as the story we had come up with had turned out to be much much too long. the last sentence was first a joke, but i liked it and wanted to keep it. maybe i have a weird sense of humour i suppose, sorry, can't help it, am german.

but since neither of us has gone with the orient express, it is indeed fiction.

Back