Challenge - How Distinctive Is Your Writing?

minsue

Gosling
If you would like your entry to be included in the collection submitted to Lit, please go to Imp's opt in thread. :)

It's been too long since we've had a writing challenge on the boards and one of my favorites from the past is the one where we had to guess the authors. IIRC, a topic was chosen and the participants sent their short pieces to a moderator via PM. All of the pieces were posted along with a list of authors and the rest of us made our guesses.

If anyone is interested in trying this one again, I'd be glad to do the "anonymous" posting (since I certainly won't be writing ;)).

Charley, if you don't participate, you don't get to complain about the lack of writing threads for at least 6 months. :p :kiss:

LENGTH - no more than 500 words

THEME - Transportation (any method you like)

ENTRIES - PM to me by Monday night, I'll post the entries in a new thread Tuesday

GUESSES - A list will be posted on the thread with the entries including all participating authors with a couple of wild cards thrown in for good measure. Post your guesses on the thread. We'll give at least 24 hours for guessing, I'd think. Deadline for guesses is noon GMT on MONDAY.

PRIZE TO THE WINNER - Any suggestions? :D

GUESSING THREAD FOR GROUP A

GUESSING THREAD FOR GROUP B

GUESSING THREAD FOR GROUP C

Results

Group A

1) neonlyte
2) champagne1982
3) ChilledVodkaIV
4) SimonBrooke
5) amicus
6) vella_ms
7) rachlou
8) Munachi
9) impressive
10) Varian P
11) Penelope Street
12) Lauren Hynde
13) angelicminx
14) Nirvanadragones
Wild Card - femininity

Group B

1) Skip1934a
2) Vermilion
3) perfect_munachi
4) cheerful_deviant
5) TE999
6) Remec
7) CharleyH
8) Trombonus
9) i_love_u_in_me
10) neonurotic
11) jushorny
12) inlovewithyourghost
13) Fallenfromgrace
14) RebeccaLeah
Wild Card - damppanties

Group C

1) Jenny_Jackson
2) past_perfect
3) CrimsonMaiden
4) matriarch
5) RedHairedandFriendly
6) starrkers
7) oggbashan
8) Liar
9) gauchecritic
10) SelenaKittyn
11) FallingToFly
12) Stella_Omega
13) The_Fool
14) drksideofthemoon
Wild Card - TheeGoatPig

Number Of Correct Guesses By Writer

16 Skip
15 drkside
12 inlovewithyourghost
12 matriarch
12 StellaOmega
11 i_love_u_in_me
10 jushorny
10 Lauren
9 CharleyH
9 past_perfect
8 Munachi
8 Simon
8 Trombonus
7 Neonlyte
7 Oggbashan
6 Amicus
6 Nirvana
6 Perfect_munachi
5.5* CVIV
5 Gauchecritic
5 neonurotic
4 Fallenfromgrace
4 Impressive
4 Liar
4 Remec
4 Vermilion
3 CD
3 Champagne
3 FtF
3 Penelope
3 Rachlou
3 starrkers
3 Varian P
2 Selenakittyn
2 Vella
1 Angelicminx
1 Crim
1 JennyJackson
0 RebeccaLeah
0 Redhaired&friendly
0 TE999
0 The_Fool

*Due to Vella's guess of "SimonBrooke or ChilledVodkaIV"

Number Of Correct Guesses By Guesser

16 Imp
16 Penny
15 Lauren
15 Nirvana
13 Neonurotic
12 past_perfect
11 amicus
11 Dampy
11 Liar
9 SelenaK
9 starrkers
8 champagne
8 Crim
8 fallen
7 Femininty
7 neonlyte
6 CD
6 drkside
6 FtF
6 Skip
5 angelicminx
5 gauchecritic
4 Munachi
4 TE999
4 Trombonus
3 rachlou
2 feeeriek
2 Ogg
2 Redhaired
2 Simon
1 charleyh
1 varian
0.5* Vella
0 remec
0 Vermilion

*See above.

Last edited:
I'll play -- as long as we don't have to write more than 500 words. (I'm lazy like that.)

I'll give it a go as a participant, b-b-but later on today. I'm suppose to be studying for exam this afternoon. :cool:

I'll take that bet - though I think I could manage 1,000 - 1,500 words... <thinks> if we have a month or so to do it in.
x
V

Jenny_Jackson said:
I have neither class nor style. I'm in. Who's the moderator? :D
If anyone else wants to moderate, they're more than welcome to. Otherwise, I will since I it'd be tacky to throw a challenge out there and expect someone else to do the organizing and tallying. ;)

Word limit, I'd say a short and sweet 500.

Now we just need a theme. :p

neonurotic said:
I'll give it a go as a participant, b-b-but later on today. I'm suppose to be studying for exam this afternoon. :cool:
No rush, Neo. Get to work. *wags finger*

minsue said:
No rush, Neo. Get to work. *wags finger*
Uhm. Do we just write anything? How long of a piece, etc? I haven't particpated before in a challenge like this.

I'll play. Or, at least, I'll try to play. Maybe it'll be the kickstart that gets me writing agian.

Oh, I loved these! Nice one Min. Count me in.

No ideas on a theme though...

The Earl

neonurotic said:
Uhm. Do we just write anything? How long of a piece, etc? I haven't particpated before in a challenge like this.
In the past we've had a theme (I think "fast food" or something like that was one?), but I don't care either way.

I like the idea of a theme. It pushes me to have boundaries... if that makes sense
x
V

I might be in or not, since this is an anonymous thing and if we tell people that we're in, then maybe our writing isn't that distinctive even if we're guessed correctly. And also I might be in or not, because I promised myself to write a particular story by the end of the month, today is the 25th, so far I have scribbled a scene-structure draft on a paper napkin, and Charley will likely be finding ways of keeping me busy showing her around town for at least half of the 6 days I have left. :p

minsue said:
It's been too long since we've had a writing challenge on the boards and one of my favorites from the past is the one where we had to guess the authors. IIRC, a topic was chosen and the participants sent their short pieces to a moderator via PM. All of the pieces were posted along with a list of authors and the rest of us made our guesses.

If anyone is interested in trying this one again, I'd be glad to do the "anonymous" posting (since I certainly won't be writing ;)).

Charley, if you don't participate, you don't get to complain about the lack of writing threads for at least 6 months. :p :kiss:

I'm in, but only because I enjoy complaining - lol :kiss:

I recall it being a fun challenge the last time around and a great way to discover other peoples writing. This should be fun.:D

Lauren Hynde said:
<snip>since this is an anonymous thing and if we tell people that we're in, then maybe our writing isn't that distinctive even if we're guessed correctly. <snip>
That's a point. In the past, I think we had a list of the authors participating, but I could certainly be wrong.

Any consensus on whether we'd rather have a list to pick from or have people totally guessing blind?

minsue said:
That's a point. In the past, I think we had a list of the authors participating, but I could certainly be wrong.

Any consensus on whether we'd rather have a list to pick from or have people totally guessing blind?
We used to have a list with those who did confirm they were in, plus a few wildcards, I think. :D

CharleyH said:
I'm in, but only because I enjoy complaining - lol :kiss:

I recall it being a fun challenge the last time around and a great way to discover other peoples writing. This should be fun.:D
You're da best. :D :kiss:

Lauren Hynde said:
We used to have a list with those who did confirm they were in, plus a few wildcards, I think. :D
That's right! I remember now...:D

Lauren Hynde said:
and Charley will likely be finding ways of keeping me busy showing her around town for at least half of the 6 days I have left. :p
I can think of better excuses to keep you busy :devil: ....

By the way? Get your ass over here with the BBQ chicken!

I'm intereted -but I might only be guessing :D

We used to have a list with a couple of extra's in it who'd not submitted anything. That never helped me, I was hopeless at guessing right *L*

Don't start anything tonight. Charley wants BBQ'd chicken, so I need to go now. :rolleyes:

(Or do. Tomorrow she'll want a movie, Saturday we'll go to a concert, Sunday... well, you get the point. I guess I'll just have to cut on sleeping time.)

Lauren Hynde said:
Don't start anything tonight. Charley wants BBQ'd chicken, so I need to go now. :rolleyes:

(Or do. Tomorrow she'll want a movie, Saturday we'll go to a concert, Sunday... well, you get the point. I guess I'll just have to cut on sleeping time.)
. :D .

I'll wait til tomorrow to start anything, give those on the other side of the world a chance to get home from work. ;)

How long to write once we have a topic? I was going to say a week, but we seem to have a short attention span here so I don't know if maybe just over the weekend?

Back