Can anyone relate to this problem?

The other tack I would suggest taking on this issue is, if using editors is frustrating, just skip them. The editing standards required for publication at Literotica are not that high, and many readers don't care that much. Instead of letting yourself get held up by editor delays, just do the best you can, publish your stories, and then seek feedback on the Feedback Forum. Learn what you can, and then write the next story.

With writing, as with many things, there is no substitute for just doing it. Don't let anything delay you, and just write as much as you can.
You're right, there is no substitute for just writing, and learning from the process of doing just that. Thanks for the encouragement, Simon.

I've never tried for a volunteer editor here. Not because my writing springs pristine from my fingers, it doesn't, but for the issues described by the OP and others, it's not seemed worthwhile to try. On the other side, I've made a few 1x1 offers to review some WIPs for folks based on discussions here in AH.

I've done editing courses (for American and Australian English) but I don't offer myself. I use that for my own work, I haven't the time and energy to do it on a regular basis (especially not for random folks, and only if I've seen some of their work). Doesn't mean stuff doesn't get through, such as the comment that upbraided me for having used 'prostrate' not 'prostate'.

I've found the built-in capabilities of Google Docs to be decent for basics. In fact, I have to fight it for dialogue, which I often want to be ungrammatical in various ways. As others have usefully mentioned, I also try to leave a work to sit for a bit, then go back to edit it. But this sometimes breaks down when I'm running against a Contest deadline :eek:. But I don't want a grammar/punctuation editor, my interest would be content and development editing, and I don't expect that level of attention for free.

But I'd recommend to the OP to look for an editing workshop at a local community college or university extension program. There are also guides, one here I have is "Grey Areas and Gremlins." These won't make you a pro, but they'll help you with the grammar and punctuation areas that are often problematic.

I like the idea of putting the manuscript aside for awhile and coming back to it later. Errors and plot holes will jump out, screaming for correction.

Another thing that I have found helpful is to read the story aloud. This forces me to slow down and read every word, thus catching more problems. Having said that, I’m pleased when the typo/error rate is lower than one per page. Haven’t reached zero errors in a story yet. I’ll keep trying.

And no, I haven’t used an editor. Tried once and got nowhere.

I know there's a forum for editors, but I wanted to share this here. I need to vent.

This post may seem a bit long-winded. But, I think it's important to provide a context for what happened.

Can anyone else relate to this? Since I started publishing here, I've attempted to work with volunteer editors. My experience has been one of frustration and dead ends. And it's not from a lack of effort on my part. I've emailed dozens of editors since 6/21.

And just to be clear, my purpose is NOT to bash all the volunteer editors: to say “all editors suck!”, or something like that. I'm sure there's some good ones out there.

And, when it comes to attempting to find an editor, I am very clear about the following. 1. The story concept/ the story's plot. 2. The length of the story. 3.Perhaps most importantly: I ask “Do you have the time to edit this entire project?”

My most recently published story. The first editor (Ed. 1) agreed to edit my story. He did the first chapter and then backed out. He said he was going to be too busy with school. So, in late August, I had to try to find another editor. I contacted a lot of editors. And I found two editors that not only wanted to edit for me: both of them said they absolutely loved my writing style, and they couldn't wait to work with me.

Ed. 2 edited the next chapter. He did a very good job, he was thorough and his turnaround was fast. I finished the next part about a week later, so I sent it to him. About 5 days later, I asked him when he's gonna start on it. He said hopefully next week. I sent another email a week later. No response. So I finished the project by myself. I published it, and he simply stopped communicating.

Ed. 3. My current project. She expressed her eagerness to work on my project a few different times. I sent her the first chapter on 10/15. She started on it, her suggestions were top-notch. She was not only finding my errors, she was helping the story become better. 6 days later, I asked her about finishing the chapter. She said she hoped to finish the next day. As of today, I've sent a few more emails, with no response. I am very disappointed at this point.

The point is this: the editors I've dealt with have only caused me frustration and aggravation. Why agree to help someone if you can't (or won't) follow through? You get all excited about your new project, and working with an editor. Only to have the 'rug pulled out' with no real explanation. And it also that feeling of being disrespected.

And like I said: “both of them said they absolutely loved my writing style, and they couldn't wait to work with me. “ So, that makes this even more baffling.

“I'm sorry, I can't help you finish this project.” I can send an email like that in literally less than two minutes.

Has anyone else gone through this?

And, if anyone knows an editor that's actually reliable, please let me know.

Editors, here. Oh dear. I had a wonderfully committed editor for one of my stories. He wanted to turn it into something it was not. I had a marginally committed "beta reader" for another. She didn't bother reading much but gave me good reflections from what she commented on. Both gave me good stuff. Little of what they gave me made it into my stories, at least not the stories they read -- some of what they gave me made it into later stories. I tried to thank them extremely -- editing someone else's work is a wonderful commitment, and, as always, highly appreciated.

Most "volunteer editors" I've tried to contact here, through the official "volunteer editor" program, never responded, or if they did, they never responded positively.

Regardless of what a "volunteer editor" here might say they are willing to read, they probably won't. That's what I learned. Find your own way, possibly through these same message boards.

Meanwhile, after my first erotic novel was published, I've been on my publisher's top-5 list for the last two months. For seven weeks I was actually #1, out of 700+ titles. No one here that I asked about reviewing it bothered to respond.

Take that for what it might, or might not, be worth.

Last edited:
Its been covered already here how the VE program here is a crapshoot for a variety of reasons, but there are other ways to find a qualified editor, but t depends on how serious you take your writing and also unfortunately what your content is.

I belong to Aria, the association of Rhode Island authors, pretty much every state has this type of group, and anyone can join. Like lit you have people who have maybe published some stuff on a free site, up to people signed by major publishers.

The benefit to joining is two fold, one when live meetings are possible-depending on restrictions and states these days-its like an in person version of the AH, you can talk shop, ask questions they often have guests speaking on different topics from grammar to marketing etc

Worth mentioning its not like here in the sense everyone is polite and friendly because no one can hide behind a key board and bully or pretend to be a 100 things they're not.

Another benefit is networking and resources, they have people who are, or know pro editors who will be willing to work with you either for some form of pay, or maybe just to be helpful depending on the size of the project.

Of course writing erotica is a bit different, you have to find an editor comfortable with it, and even then there's a far cry from spicy or BDSM and 'basics' to something taboo...I was fortunate enough to find an editor who is a horror fan and doesn't mind erotic content, but again this wasn't mommy son stuff.

No one is to say you can't find someone who will do that as well, but you have to ask and that could be a little awkward

Also, Nanowrimo has local writing events and write ins where you have a chance to network and with local writers some of whom can and will edit or know someone who will.

This is just an option if you're serious, and don't mind spending a little money. If people here are selling or thinking of it, its worth it.

I wanted to bring this up to in case anyone here buys into the tired act of the person here who makes it sound like a qualified editor is rarer than a unicorn and no one out there can be one or find one because I get tired of the endless put downs, baseless accusations no one here knows what they're doing and that they're something special.

You want an editor they're out there, depends how much you really want one

<snip>
I belong to Aria, the association of Rhode Island authors, pretty much every state has this type of group, and anyone can join. Like lit you have people who have maybe published some stuff on a free site, up to people signed by major publishers.
<snip>

If you're here in my part of the Antipodes (Sydney area), it's Writing NSW (New South Wales). All of the attributes Lovecraft highlights are available through them. So, just seconding the idea of looking for these groups. Writing NSW is quite welcoming to traditionally published through wanna-bes.

And they don't completely shy away from erotica. One of their most popular courses is Writing Sex Scenes.

Whether you want to add a steamy love scene to your novel, short stories or memoir, or learn how to write erotica, this online writing course will help you develop the skills needed to craft hot love scenes. Sex is an important part of our lives, and exploring the sexual desires of characters provides insights into their most secret inner-lives.

We also have the Australian Society of Authors, a national group, but its focus is on the 'pro' level.

Lovecraft68's rabidly mentally disturbed obsession with me aside, yes, there's a lot of "another set of eyes" help out there short of a trained editor to help you--and I've constantly posted that something short of a trained editor is mostly good enough to be posting stories at Literotica and have made suggestions on who/how to hook up with help, but being able to be assured that you are being helped rather than harmed does, like any profession, happen more with trained and qualified practitioners than those who hung their own shingles out unvetted as voluntary editors. Just don't count on many of them being around willing to help on a voluntary basis for erotica.

Lovecraft68's rabidly mentally disturbed obsession with me that has had him stalking me here for over a decade aside. He's feeding you a lot of garbage about him getting help from any local association for his incest/taboo writing. He's only posting at all to attack me. Lovecraft68's goal isn't to help any of you. It's to rag on me.

And, please, do let us know your success in finding qualified voluntary editing for free for erotica from your local writing associations. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I question the contention that you could find a competent editor for erotica for free in your community writing clubs any easier than you can find it here--ergo rarely on more than a blind-leading-the-blind basis at most. What you will need to be willing to do beyond seeking it here is to expose to your community writing clubs that the true name you writes whatever form of erotica you do. Maybe you're willing to do that.

What you could do is to use your nonerotica stories for this purpose and use what you learn from that to inform your erotica writing. Where you will still be at, though, is the difficulty of finding any competent editorial assistance for free.

Would be interested in honest testimonies that this worked for you. This isn't really something that should be swept up into a king-of-the-hill game. This is about what you best can do to make the most out of your writing and of your stories--how many blind allies do you want to go down.

Last edited:
Even the people posting as couples have had mistakes.

The best way I have found is to wait about 3 months after writing the story. Then go back and check for errors. The spelling mistakes, strange missed words, and the parts that don't make sense jump out when I cannot remember word for word what I

That's good advice. Another thing you can do is change the type size and type font before re-reading it. That makes a difference.

I edit only for a friend, and he edits only for me, so I can't really comment on the Volunteer Editor program on this site. But if you don't have any luck with the process, you might try communicating with other writers who share your style and predilections, and see if they're interested in being at least beta readers for you, with the implicit offer to beta-read their stuff. That's how my friend and I got started.

I'm sure there's some good ones out there.

Really good editing takes a lot of time. You would probably need someone with plenty of spare time. There are a lot of $400/manuscript editors running it through grammarly and making stock comments.

If you have trouble, start a writer's circle where you edit each other's manuscripts.

Back