A question for those of you who have met up with a friend you met online

Lonelywife1205

Lonely no more
If you have met up with a friend you first met and got to know online, I’m curious how the chemistry was in person?

Was it the same or different? Was there any awkwardness or did it feel like you had known each other forever?

If there was a sexual or romantic connection online with the person you met, was it still there in person? Were you even more attracted to them when you met? Or less? Did they look how you expected they would based on pics you had seen? Any surprises? Did the relationship continue online after you met or did it fizzle out?

Please share your experiences of meeting your online friends in person, I’d love to hear them.

*Dirty details are encouraged but not required :D😉

I was late 20s when I started internet dating.
I swear I went on a first date with every single guy in Colorado.
A few second and third dates.
3 relationships, including sex
Married the last guy.

Awkward but hopeful. When you meet there’s a shy, excited smile exchanged. You feel like you know them but now you’re sitting across from them experiencing everything in real time.

It’s worth it.

If you have met up with a friend you first met and got to know online, I’m curious how the chemistry was in person? I'd say there was chemistry. We're still friends even though she's off Lit now.

Was it the same or different? Was there any awkwardness or did it feel like you had known each other forever? I think there was a little trepidation just because we've shared pictures, but never cammed or anything.

If there was a sexual or romantic connection online with the person you met, was it still there in person? Were you even more attracted to them when you met? Or less? Did they look how you expected they would based on pics you had seen? Any surprises? Did the relationship continue online after you met or did it fizzle out? There was a connection, but it was more friendly than romantic. We started as friends first, so that wasn't a surprise.

Please share your experiences of meeting your online friends in person, I’d love to hear them. I'm not sure what to share. I went over the first time and spent the day with her. I went over other weekends to help her with things. Nothing too crazy.

The one on-line friend I met in person was exactly who he said he was. We met several years ago on a couple of related forums and had a strong meeting of minds, often supporting each other’s interests and inspirations.

I get sapiosexual crushes and was crushing hard on this guy when he mentioned he was moving - to the same town I live in! We eventually met and our lives intertwined in many ways - nothing sexual but there was an ease of conversation and familiarity that went deep. We could be hanging out at social functions and share inside jokes and knowing looks while other people had no idea what was going on.

Cancer got him during Covid and left a hole that won’t be filled. I’m still friends with his widow.

(Edit: Aw heck, I don’t mean to be such a downer! I love remembering his fascinating stories… my life is better having known him.) :)

Last edited:
Out of all I've met. I think only 3 of them were different in person vs online. 2 of the guys I'd met verbally said they would respect my wishes (for no sex) but then in person still hoped I would change my mind, or that they were that good that they would get me to change my mind.
Outside of those 3, almost everyone else was who I'd come to know. I am much shyer in person, so I could have easily been the one to create any awkwardness.

Both my experiences in meeting Litsters were very memorable to me. They are both friendly, not romantic, connections. (Though there had been some crushing.)

Any awkwardness came from this introvert's slow process of escaping his shell and making intelligent conversation. Despite my perceived awkwardness, both meetings were wonderful and I'd meet them again. (I still have a standing offer for dinner to fulfill.)

Last edited:
This is a little long but I have some free time on this lazy Sunday afternoon so I thought I'd share :)

One of the first people that I met online was a woman who lived in FL while I was living in NY. This was years ago. My parents had moved to FL and she lived just a short distance from them. We talked/chatted/texted for about 7 months. We discussed a lot of things and we became very comfortable with each other. Usually though, the conversations turned sexual and we’d end up on the phone talking dirty to each other. It was pretty intense as we were both usually able to orgasm over the phone (at least I know I did, lol).

At that time I’d always go visit my parents for the holidays and I told her that. So we always planned to meet in person when that time came. Well. the holidays came and I flew down to FL. We made plans to get togrther a day or two after Christmas. We met up in the afternoon in a bar on the water. I can remember how nervous I was as I was driving there. Even though we had communicated many times over the past 6 or 7 months I couldn’t help but be nervous. Would she like me in person as much as she seemed to like me online? Would I be attracted to her as much?

She was already there and seated at the bar when I arrived. We recognized each other immediately. We said our hello’s and shared a friendly hug. I could tell she was nervous also. She was also dressed a lot nicer than I was. She had her hair done up and she was wearing a lot of makeup and perfume (she smelled great!). I immediately regretted not dressing a little nicer myself (khaki shorts & t-shirt) and hoped she wouldn’t hold it against me. Thankfully she didn’t seem to mind (or at least she never said anything). We ended up just making small talk and having a couple of drinks and ordered some food.
After a couple of hours we were both feeling a little more comfortable but that ‘spark’ didn’t seem to be there as it was when we talked on the phone. But she did eventually suggest we go back to her house and continue the date, which I was happy to do.

As we left the bar and got into the parking lot and away from the other bar patrons I decided to ‘make a move’, lol. She was used to me talking and acting a certain way on the phone so I decided to show a little bit of that side of me to her right there in the parking lot. When we got to her car and as she was about to open the door I grabed her arm and turned her around to face me. Then I pulled her head close and started kissing her. She reciprocated nicely and inside I felt a huge sigh of relief, lol. We were making out for a few minutes and I started getting more aggressive. She had big beautiful breasts and I started to unbotton her blouse and slide my hnd inside so I could caress and fondle them. She let me do this for about 30 seconds and then I think she realized we were still in a parking lot and others could see us, lol. She pushed me away and said that we need to stop for now. I agreed but I looked her in the eye and said … ‘I can’t wait to fuck the shit out of you’. Yes, I know, not very romantic or gentlemanly but these are the kind of things we’d been saying to each other over the phone for the last 6 months so I definitely didn’t think I’d be offending her in any way. All she said back was … ‘follow me back to my house’ (we were in separate cars). As I followed her back to her house I was sooooo turned on but admittedly still a bit nervous. Saying things on the phone and acting all bravado in my sexual prowness in that way is one thing. But now I have to actually perform in person, lol.

When we got back to her house she offered me a drink. But I was so horny at that point (I’m sure she coukd see my bulge through my khakis, lol) I just looked at her and said … ‘no thanks, I just want to contine where we left off’. And with that I unbottoned her blouse once again, took it off along with her bra, laid her on the couch and proceeded to fondle and suck on her breasts. Aftter a few minutes of that I think she reached her breaking point. She stood up took my hand and led me into her bedroom. We both got fully undressed and she laid be down on the bed and gave me a fantastic blowjob for about 10 minutes. Finally I said … ‘I need to fuck yoiu right now’. And that I did, lol. We continued playing wit each other the rest of the night. She was terrific. She really wanted to plase me. She rememberd most of the things I’d said I liked during our phone conversations and went out of her way to do those things (titty fuck, her on top, cum on tits). It was an amazing night. I have no regrets and I’m pretty sure she doesn’t either.

We kept in touch and met up in person a couple more times over the next few years but mostly just remained friends. She’s married now and I haven’t had any contact with here for years (although we are still facebook friends, lol).

Short answer....no it wasn't awkward because it was never more than dude...wanna get something to eat? Or dude...do you want a behind the scenes tour? My goal was never to hook up...but to have fun and take or show them places they would not normally have had an opportunity to experience. I loved my work then. Sharing is good

I’ve met several friends from the site, and all were great meetings and not at all awkward. If you’re really asking about romantic or sexy time meetups, I’ve met four people from Lit. All were amazing and fun and went really well. 2 of them I met up with several times. 3 of the 4 were exactly who they said they were. The 4th, well, I didn’t learn who he really was until well after that meetup. That was super unfortunate because I really liked him and lot and thought we would be friends for life. But, definitely didn’t go that way.

Thank you for making this thread, I've always been curious about this! Never have met anyone myself, closest people for me have been 2 hours away, that awkward distance of doable but also pretty far out of my way. Any meetup would probably be friendly at this point, don't think I've quite crossed The Rubicon into anything real happening outside my marriage. Yet, at least.

Mine were mostly dates. One I remained friends with. A lot were horrible first dates. Many had lied or not told the whole truth. One bled during dinner, another cried during a romantic comedy…I could go on and on. We talked for several weeks or months before each visit. Out of all of them, only one told the truth, and we had several dates that followed. The rest, as they say, is history.

Short answer....one time only for me and it was ahhhhh-mazing.

Long answer and background.....I was always a cake eater online since my early days in marriage that included (will age myself here) AOL chat rooms ("kids" feel free to google AOL), Yahoo Chat, Reddit and Lit Chat. In recent years, was looking for more of a connection and getting to know someone along with the online sex stuff. Even with this change to look for more than just cake eating, I never intended to meet anyone in person that started online as liked/preferred the clean separation of those 2 worlds.

End of last year, fell for someone hard that surprised me big time that I could fall for someone from a 100% online relationship. Got to a point over the 4+ months talking daily that I truly craved and needed to meet up with her in person. Was pretty nervous (but a good nervous) leading up to the meeting with similar internal questions to what scooter said earlier --- Would she like me/find me attractive in person? Would I like her/find her attractive in person? Would we have that same online chemistry (both talking/hanging out and sexually) in person. Basically, would the online connection and "sex heat" we had online translate to in person?

Over a weekend, we met 3 times for a total of 10 hours in her hotel room as she flew in town to meet me. From the initial moment we saw each other in person, it was incredible and exceeded my already high expectations. Yes, we had incredible sex but was also very cool just to hang out, drive around town, share meals and be in each other's arms.

Last edited:
I am much shyer in person, so I could have easily been the one to create any awkwardness.
This is me as well 🙃.

I have met a few people from Lit and a small handful from online in general. For the most part, I don’t regret any of the meetings, but some were far more better than others.

For the couple of uncomfortable times, I should’ve known better 😂, but I learned my lesson and won’t put myself in situations like that again.

*Edited because I feel dumb now 🙃*

Last edited:
That so cool @FunLi your happiness in watching them flirt and knowing you get them in person. I love that confidence. I on the other hand could not handle being with them, then watching them flirt with others. Insecurity, jealousy. Too much vulnerability for me to give up to them, to then wonder if there was more than just flirting. It's a me problem. But that is a boundary of mine.

That so cool @FunLi your happiness in watching them flirt and knowing you get them in person. I love that confidence. I on the other hand could not handle being with them, then watching them flirt with others. Insecurity, jealousy. Too much vulnerability for me to give up to them, to then wonder if there was more than just flirting. It's a me problem. But that is a boundary of mine.
It’s definitely a me problem too. Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of moments where I get in my feels about it but I always have to remind myself of what the reality is, how we met, etc. and that conversation with myself always comes after the overthinking and mental battle with myself, ha, especially knowing you’ll always be the secret..I had to find the glass half full side of it, I guess?

Last edited:
I met my husband on Facebook. He flew to Australia and I was already head over heels but the time he arrived. I followed him back and married him. Best decision I ever made.

I've met a few guys from tinder with varying degrees of success. Mainly because of me and my hangups. One guy, who we've nicknamed "Don Draper" around these parts blew my mind. I started to expect a LOT more from sex after spending the night with him. It was incredible.

I've learnt that if I've got the written banter and chemistry, that typically translates well into the bedroom.

I have a few times and sadly never managed to ignite that ‘spark’ that prompted us to meet. It was a fun thing to do but never enough to move to the next level.

I married the first woman I met online. We talked on the phone for months before we met. I was nervous, but it was never awkward. Once we were in person, it was more traditional dating. For example, we were a few dates in before sex. Mind you, this was about 20 years ago before it was common and generally accepted to meet online.

I have met one woman from here. We progressed from chatting to talking on the phone and then met about three months in. That experience was far different. We had sexted and had phone sex and were completely on the same page about our mutual expectations. It was far from awkward. Sure I was nervous but the hot sex calmed my nerves quickly.

I assume you’re asking the question because you are contemplating a meet up? I appreciate it’s different for women from a safety standpoint but I had zero hesitation because we both have a significant digital footprint. We were friends on Facebook and Instagram. We have jobs that are easy to verify. Nothing to hide about our personal lives. I wouldn’t have proceeded if there was anything sketchy about who she is.

Short answer....one time only for me and it was ahhhhh-mazing.

Long answer and background.....I was always a cake eater online since my early days in marriage that included (will age myself here) AOL chat rooms ("kids" feel free to google AOL), Yahoo Chat, Reddit and Lit Chat. In recent years, was looking for more of a connection and getting to know someone along with the online sex stuff. Even with this change to look for more than just cake eating, I never intended to meet anyone in person that started online as liked/preferred the clean separation of those 2 worlds.

End of last year, fell for someone hard that surprised me big time that I could fall for someone from a 100% online relationship. Got to a point over the 4+ months talking daily that I truly craved and needed to meet up with her in person. Was pretty nervous (but a good nervous) leading up to the meeting with similar internal questions to what scooter said earlier --- Would she like me/find me attractive in person? Would I like her/find her attractive in person? Would we have that same online chemistry (both talking/hanging out and sexually) in person. Basically, would the online connection and "sex heat" we had online translate to in person?

Over a weekend, we met 3 times for a total of 10 hours in her hotel room as she flew in town to meet me. From the initial moment we saw each other in person, it was incredible and exceeded my already high expectations. Yes, we had incredible sex but was also very cool just to hang out, drive around town, share meals and be in each other's arms.

I met my now wife in an AOL Chat Room 21 years ago! I was 18 at the time and she was older but we're still going strong.

Back