🎵 Monthly Song Challenge 🎵

Day 18: A song with a one word title

Kyrie-Mr Mister.

Storytime: In 1985, the album this song came from was my first cassette (Shut it, young'uns) purchase.
I heard the song on the radio and a friend of mine told me who the group was.
It's not my favorite song on the album. (That would be Welcome To The Real World which wouldn't fit today's theme.)
However, I played that cassette so much and it introduced me to the world of Waxie Maxie. It was a record store chain at the time and there was one up the road from where I lived.

One more bit of trivia. Kyrie is part of a Latin phrase Kyrie Eleison which is one part of the Latin Mass.
It means God is with us.
There was a choir arrangement of that I was singing during my 10th grade year in choir.

Day 17: A song used in a tv show (not the theme/opening song)

Mini story time:
When I was a kid I went to a month long sleepaway camp. Best summers of my life. My best “camp friend” was this girl who was infinitely cooler than me. When we were in middle school, her hair was in a partially dyed pixie cut. She listened to the best music. She introduced me to Bright Eyes. She had an older sister, Emilyn. Emilyn lived in New York City and played ukulele and hung out with Amanda Palmer and dated someone in The Hold Steady. I secretly idolized her (it had to be a secret because my friend told me it was so annoying when her friends were “fans” of her sister). In high school, I bought her first album Emilyn Brodsky’s Greatest Tits (I thought that name was just the best) and took the train into Boston to see her at a tiny little show she did.

Imagine my surprise, years later, when I’m watching season 3 episode 3 of Girls on HBO (Hannah’s birthday party episode) and I hear a voice that sounds so familiar. “Wow this sounds like Emilyn!” Then the camera pans to the stage, just briefly, and it is her! I messaged my friend to confirm and, sure enough, it was her. I think the whole soundtrack for Girls is incredible and so cool that she got to participate in that.
I still think she’s incredible… don’t tell my friend 🤫

Emilyn Brodsky - Someone Belongs Here

Day 17: A song used in a tv show (not the theme/opening song)

Mini story time:
When I was a kid I went to a month long sleepaway camp. Best summers of my life. My best “camp friend” was this girl who was infinitely cooler than me. When we were in middle school, her hair was in a partially dyed pixie cut. She listened to the best music. She introduced me to Bright Eyes. She had an older sister, Emilyn. Emilyn lived in New York City and played ukulele and hung out with Amanda Palmer and dated someone in The Hold Steady. I secretly idolized her (it had to be a secret because my friend told me it was so annoying when her friends were “fans” of her sister). In high school, I bought her first album Emilyn Brodsky’s Greatest Tits (I thought that name was just the best) and took the train into Boston to see her at a tiny little show she did.

Imagine my surprise, years later, when I’m watching season 3 episode 3 of Girls on HBO (Hannah’s birthday party episode) and I hear a voice that sounds so familiar. “Wow this sounds like Emilyn!” Then the camera pans to the stage, just briefly, and it is her! I messaged my friend to confirm and, sure enough, it was her. I think the whole soundtrack for Girls is incredible and so cool that she got to participate in that.
I still think she’s incredible… don’t tell my friend 🤫

Emilyn Brodsky - Someone Belongs Here

Okay, this is my favorite song story yet.

Day 17: A song used in a TV show (not the theme/opening song)

Band of Brothers, episode 9, "Why We Fight"

The scene where the residents of a town in Germany are burying the dead from a concentration camp discovered earlier by Easy Company. The music is known as "Dido's Lament", an aria from the Baroque opera by Henry Purcell, "Dido and Aeneas". Though it is an instrumental version played in the scene, the lyrics of the aria reveal why it was -- brilliantly, I think -- selected:

When I am laid, am laid in earth
May my wrongs create
No trouble, no trouble in thy breast
Remember me, remember me
But ah! Forget my fate
Remember me, but ah! Forget my fate.

Powerful hearing it in the opera; devastating here. I try and re-watch Band of Brothers every Memorial Day weekend, and every year experience the dreaded anticipation of the emotional destruction from this scene.

Video warning: graphic content.

Omg I LOVED that show. I was so sad when they didn't renew it... 🥺
Me too! Honestly, I was surprised NBC even greenlit a musical series so I guess I just have to be grateful there were even two seasons lol.
I will go one step further. This song has not only a one word title, but the lyrics also contain just a single word.

tenor.gif

A song played in a TV show

This song should come with a government health warning!

There I was, watching a crime series called Unbelievable, and one of the leading characters is driving along when this tune I’d never heard before came on the radio, and she started to sing it. I looked it up on YouTube and It wouldn’t leave my ears for a week!

To make matters worse, It’s a song for kids!

Don’t say I didn’t warn you!

When my kids were young, Dan Zanes was a godsend because kid music but actually good music.

Back