A Poet Walks Into a Bar . . .

Thanks, helped me over the hump

i think yeats did one 4.4
Okay, something else....tell me, is this enjambment?
Bananas for the baretender
Where are my dancing bananas
best eaten holding that last tinge of green
limes flavour delicate hint a firm perfection
orchids scented odours from nearby lianas
Think it might be a bit of a push

Okay, something else....tell me, is this enjambment?
Bananas for the baretender
Where are my dancing bananas
best eaten holding that last tinge of green
limes flavour delicate hint a firm perfection
orchids scented odours from nearby lianas
Think it might be a bit of a push

best eaten holding that last tinge of green < this is
limes/ completes a syntactical unit (phrase) flavour is throwing me could be a noun or a verb

i don't know what the fuck you're doing with line 1

Communication is a lost art
literacy scorned for speed
u no?
even those who care in part
have no time for the deed

Harry, I pay on the honor system. The banana bin is under the loose floorboard upon which the 300 ton hairy gorilla bounces on days he can't be let outdoors. Here is a tip for you, though.

:nana:

Go ahead. Tap those nanas. You know you want to.

Harry, I pay on the honor system. The banana bin is under the loose floorboard upon which the 300 ton hairy gorilla bounces on days he can't be let outdoors. Here is a tip for you, though.

Go ahead. Tap those nanas. You know you want to.
Thanks Dora... I believe the following is well bestriden
It's amazing what you can find
under the floor boards here
and there beneath dusty planks
treasure gleams in ancient mines

Last edited:
Communication is a lost art
literacy scorned for speed
u no?
even those who care in part
have no time for the deed

Sad but true, HH.
Who would have thought that ...---... would turn in to ones and zero's?

Sad but true, HH.
Who would have thought that ...---... would turn in to ones and zero's?
It's all progression... nothing stays the same; the trick is living with it. For example, there would be no literotica.com without ones and zeros

:nana
... Tasty little fruit
nice color
loaded with ....potasium?
time for a drink, happy hour folks... or maybe only 40 mins

Shots of Don Pedro tonight. Still, it seems funny drinking Mexican brandy this late at night.

Tom Collins

Tall and cool
That bedewed daddy
of all the summer drinks
Sweet and sour me
Hey, whoa, syncopate that shot
s'got waaaaay too much booze
I'm planning on dancing all night
Don't want no syncopic ep'sodes
better mix another
I'm expecting a friend

a funny thing happened on the way to the forum...

and so it's late again
too late for happy hour
too early to start here
but there's the ghost of music
making my feet tap
fingers snap
and breathing life into a smile

Hey all, I'm Greg. I'm planning to spend a good deal of time here, translating some of my thoughts and emotions into poetry--which will hopefully be enjoyable to some.

I haven't written much poetry, except during a very dark period of my life; but I've lost all I wrote then, unfortunately. I feel that not tapping into my creative side very much since my childhood, when I was incredibly creative (I imagine most people are), has really held me back in not living as full of a life as I should.

Also, I'm very open to criticism in any poems I share because I have a lot to learn, though I would prefer it to be constructive. :)

What'ca drinking Greg, welcome to Lit. Post away.
Translating thoughts?

Last edited:
Hey Harry, haven't had anything to drink tonight and will be hitting the hay soon. I've just got some Coors Light in the fridge right now, so maybe I'll put a few of those down tomorrow night. Might help with the creative process. :D Kind of boring, I know, but it is alcohol at least.

By "translating thoughts," I mean that some of my poetry would possibly be more intellect-based than emotion-based. That may not be the best way to put it, though. Does that kind of make more sense with my explanation? :)

OK, here's my first attempt at a poem. I certainly don't mean to derail this thread, but I figured I'd just post it here for now rather than make a new thread. Maybe just PM me if you have suggestions. :)

Distracted by image,
Spectacle of the everyday.
An inner yearning for the wonder
The wonder of dreams forgotten.

Polite connections that seem so hard;
Perhaps because of what they replace.
All touch is weird,
Especially the non-physical.

OK, here's my first attempt at a poem. I certainly don't mean to derail this thread, but I figured I'd just post it here for now rather than make a new thread. Maybe just PM me if you have suggestions. :)

Distracted by image,
Spectacle of the everyday.
An inner yearning for the wonder
The wonder of dreams forgotten.

Polite connections that seem so hard;
Perhaps because of what they replace.
All touch is weird,
Especially the non-physical.
Derail this thread? The bar is in an ally half a block from the rail head, not much chance of that.
Our resident prosodist has just returned from an extended tour of the twilight zone, perhaps he'll dissect your offering. Interesting that you used no rhyme in your first poem.

A Poet walks into a bar...

and is delighted to find it is Jean LaFitte's Blacksmith Shop on Bourbon St, immediate friends surround, someone tickling the ivory of an ancient grand piano, and the verdant air of a warm New Orleans night carrying hints of jasmine....

I found my way to the Forums after tiring of Lit Chat, seeking partners in crime for crafting interesting stories together. I have not been disappointed, and have found some lively story spinners. I made my first foray into submitting a poem the other day and was delighted to see Lit put it up.

I live in New Orleans, a block from the Mississippi River. My first effort at writing was at the age of 10, something about a mouse and an elephant ultimately walking away together, trunk and tail intertwined. I think I'll need to consult Freud for what that might be suggesting.

Hello minette05 and welcome. Well done on your first submission, please keep them coming. If I may I'll add a link to your poem so that it will be easy to find.

Derail this thread? The bar is in an ally half a block from the rail head, not much chance of that.
Our resident prosodist has just returned from an extended tour of the twilight zone, perhaps he'll dissect your offering. Interesting that you used no rhyme in your first poem.

LOL, and it's good that he's returned from the twilight zone; maybe he won't find my poem quite so strange then. :D Your saying that made me want to give this classic a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP05iSzpz94. Been too long since I did.

Is that typical? The no rhyming, I mean. It was kind of spur of the moment, just what came to me then, and no rhymes did.

and is delighted to find it is Jean LaFitte's Blacksmith Shop on Bourbon St, immediate friends surround, someone tickling the ivory of an ancient grand piano, and the verdant air of a warm New Orleans night carrying hints of jasmine....
Bon ton rouler
romantic_perv....

Is that typical? The no rhyming, I mean. It was kind of spur of the moment, just what came to me then, and no rhymes did
Poetry is a mood as well as musical; both are lovely and compelling when done well.

Cocktail?

I'm really pleased you liked it, though, Harry - it's one that makes me smile as well when reading it Thanks for the question. Got any more? And mine's an ice-cold vodka with a twist of lime, please

Ice cold
bottle from the freezer.
Absolute zero, baby,
Manhattan glass, twist of lime,
goes down like butter.

Last edited:
Back