OK. I'll jump right in. Why is rape given special status as a crime?

Been there, done that, nailed it! On more than one occassion.
I’m terrified of writing GM. Girl /horse? Fine. Girl / tentacle monster? Fine. Two girls and a werewolf? Fine. Two girls who also have cocks? Fine.

Paranoid I’d get GM totally wrong and be laughed at.

Em

1000000% this!

We shouldn't be teaching people how not to get raped, we should be teaching people not to be rapists.

And making possible rapists afraid of their potential victims is not furthering this? I’m not promoting violence, just being ready if you are threatened with violence. I make this promotion as an academically honored graduate of a prestigious private law enforcement academy familiar with the force continuum and supporter of responsible conduct among police. Not my fault I didn’t actually get hired as a cop after I graduated from the academy. I still have saved lives and make it a priority to stand up for those in danger in this world. I hope this stance will be supported and understood now that it is better defined.

I’m terrified of writing GM. Girl /horse? Fine. Girl / tentacle monster? Fine. Two girls and a werewolf? Fine. Two girls who also have cocks? Fine.

Em

I’m a survivor of attempted sexual assault by another man, completely straight and wish to stay that way, and yet I want to support my gay friends and characters (including at least one relative) by stepping into this category sooner or later. I’m as terrified about it as you are. Wish me luck.

Em

I honestly haven't written a "true" lesbian story for the same reason.

I have done girl / girl in the Jenna series (spoilers 😉 ) but it was more a threesome setting with the male character and I'm sure while I try and write my female characters realistically, there's plenty of Male gaze influence in it.

My fear is writing what I would hope would be an honest attempt at a lesbian story only to have it laughed of LE by actual lesbians.

I’m a survivor of attempted sexual assault by another man, completely straight and wish to stay that way, and yet I want to support my gay friends and characters (including at least one relative) by stepping into this category sooner or later. I’m as terrified about it as you are. Wish me luck.
Good luck.

I was going to do GM in Heaven and Hole and chickened out.

Em

Very [original] end of Blade Runner.

I am nerdy enough to have tracked down the noir narrated version. I know Ford says he didn’t want to do it and dialed it in. But I think the sense of ennui (which was probably real) fit the character.

Em

Something like 2% of the population are on the autism spectrum, so it isn't exactly a rare condition. Thank you to those who have made honest attempts to help the OP and others like her understand, rather than just expressing their disapproval regarding the existence of this topic.
Thank you! My daughter and I were having a conversation about our different styles and she asked me if I'd ever thought I might be "on the spectrum." Well, not really. But that business about empathy (versus sympathy and justice) was an insight late in coming.

This Site doesn't give rape special treatment.
I was speaking to the forum, not the stories. I've seen plenty of broo-ha-ha about rape stories, on the order of their not being politically correct. I wanted to know why there is such a charge among forum members about rape stories. I absolutely did not want to suggest that rape in the real world is not handled really badly. But I was unable to make myself clear. Although I do wonder, why it (rape, not the subsequent societal response) is deemed by some to be universally more traumatizing than other traumatic events. Very few people addressed that.

I don't mind rape stories. Even graphic rape depictions. I am upset by the idea that a beat down constitutes the same order of harm that a rape victim has. In fact, many women get the beat down and the rape. They aren't equal in harm when you consider the PTSD of it all.

Aggravated assault is a felony1that can result in stiff penalties2314. These penalties can include jail time, probation, electronic monitoring, fines, parole, mandatory anger management classes, restitution for the victim, and/or loss of the right to own or possess a firearm or weapon2. The punishment often depends on the level of harm threatened or inflicted3. The prison sentence for aggravated assault can range from 5 to 30 years1.

Whereas Rape and spousal rape are generally punished by 3, 6, or 8 years in prison. If the victim is under 14 at the time of the alleged crime, the penalty is increased to 9, 11, or 13 years. If the victim was 15, 16, or 17, the penalties are 7, 9, or 11 years in prison.

So clearly, beat downs are consider more of harm by the legal system. Good God, something about that is sucks big green donkey dicks.
I was speaking to the forum, not the stories. I've seen plenty of broo-ha-ha about rape stories, on the order of their not being politically correct. I wanted to know why there is such a charge among forum members about rape stories. I absolutely did not want to suggest that rape in the real world is not handled really badly. But I was unable to make myself clear. Although I do wonder, why it (rape, not the subsequent societal response) is deemed by some to be universally more traumatizing than other traumatic events. Very few people addressed that.

No, the legality of the act in the real world has nothing to do with permissibility on Lit. That's a combination of what Laurel personally chooses not to publish, and overwhelming visitor sentiment. If the legality of the act in the real world was a determining factor, murder, beatings, drug use, speeding, trespassing, etc. would also be forbidden on Lit. Partisan politics and religion are perfectly legal in the real world, yet their more preachy edges are forbidden on Lit.
[edit: whoops, I now see you already made some of these points in a later post, oh well]

Also: many of the stories that are allowed in NC/R depict acts that would still be considered rape IRL, and the I/T category is almost entirely about acts that would be illegal. (And Lit was hosting gay/lesbian stories back before Lawrence v. Texas legalised that throughout the USA.)

I suspect Literotica's content rules have a lot to do with wanting to avoid being ruled as "obscenity", which involves a "community standards" test. Given that a society's laws usually bear some relationship to its community standards, it's understandable that there'll be some correlation between "things that are illegal IRL" and "things that are banned on Lit", but it's far from perfect correspondence.

1) At what point did I say that it was illegal to write rape literature? Strawman.
2) Non-consensual/under-18 incest will surely get rejected because it is non-consensual and/or under-18, not because it is incest in and of itself. Just as, in fact, in the real world I can fuck my mother (no matter that the idea is disgusting) provided we both consent, so it can be found on Lit provided it isn't a sexual crime. I'm sure there are places it is illegal, but I could only perhaps speculate where, and my speculation wouldn't include the liberal democracies virtually all readers of Lit probably live in.

As far as I know, parent/child incest is illegal almost everywhere in the USA, and sibling incest in most states, even when both parties are over 18 and consenting.

I can't speak for other jurisdictions, but when I studied Texas State Laws at CAPCOG Regional Training Academy, I was told that Sexual Assault was a felony same as Aggravated Assault. And Aggravated Sexual Assault was a higher class felony than the latter. 25 years to life was the penalty if I recall correctly, with all the other possible punishments Millie describes possible also. I can't comment on their likelihood of actually being applied.

Regarding incest, I don't regard it as a sexual crime if both parties are consenting. Comes from being a fan of it in online erotica. All the same, IRL, I've never been sexually attracted to any relatives in a generation other than my own. That means siblings or cousins, and I accept that they're probably not into me. I have to reimagine parent-child or uncle-niece as roleplay when I read about it in fic. I accept that other people have other preferences. My writings reflect my own.

I guess I can feel about rape fantasies similar to the above stance. But I don't like people insisting I should feel that way for obvious reasons. I hope that is accepted and understood.

As far as I know, parent/child incest is illegal almost everywhere in the USA, and sibling incest in most states, even when both parties are over 18 and consenting.
Ok. I'm in Europe and whilst people would gag, the law doesn't get involved (largely from the historical perspective of not wanting a policeman in everyone's bedroom).

Ok. I'm in Europe and whilst people would gag, the law doesn't get involved (largely from the historical perspective of not wanting a policeman in everyone's bedroom).
Same way in certain areas of the Southern United States where I'm from. Far as I know. Now, non-consensual incest, they do get involved and treat it the same as sexual assault, as they should. But consensual is overlooked.

Assuming the incident(s) were discreet, legal involvement or prosecution in the States would also be unlikely, as police would generally need to be tipped off by a complainant or catch the offenders in flagrante delicto (which would mean they failed dramatically at discretion).

Yeah, but... Yeah, but...

Still illegal.

Yet it's glorified and celebrated here with anything that might border on legal ( more distant relations ) receiving lukewarm if not downright cold receptions. It's made into a light, fluffy, loving, and even romantic thing here, because that's what the readers want.

Good. It's fiction. Let people enjoy their entertainment. If anything that was posted to Lit was 'dangerous' we'd have a nationwide movement of mother-fuckers marching on Washington by now demanding acceptance and legality.

Illegal, and yet it's Lit's primary cash cow.

The prohibitions are what Laurel chooses not to publish, along with a smidge of getting tired of fielding complaints. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Back