Nerd Power!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spins said:
Binary...that's like some kind of computer language...right? :cool:

Actually no, it's not, at least not on most modern computers. It IS ultimately the alphabet of most computer languages though. I hear some eggheads are trying to make computers that can percieve the concept of "Maybe" instead of just "Yes" and "No".

Incidentally, all you Firefly or Stargate fans need to check out the books "Stepping Through the Stargate" and "Finding Serenity", they're collections of essays about the two shoes written by various people, including experts in different fields, people involved in the show in various ways, etc. Lots of fun to see the angles that different people come at the show from (the book was published before Serenity came out in theatres, so at least one of the essays has been proven as being firmly off-track, but it's still a very neat concept the guy presents).

One of the more interesting things they pointed out was that the Alliance as a whole benefits more from people like Malcolm Reynolds *not* being put in jail than they do from capturing them. They note that Serenity and presumably other ships like her provide various needed services that the Alliance for whatever reason can't or won't do, including moving merchandise, supplying food or medicine, and even providing law enforcement or protection against no-gooders.

The fact that Captain Reynolds also harbors highly valued fugitives of the law and keeps them away from the Alliance officials who want them does throw a wrench in that formula though, hence their occasional problems with operatives such as the Blue Hands Group and The Operative, compared to their run-ins with the regular Alliance types who can usually be convinced to let them go.

Texguy84 said:
Actually no, it's not, at least not on most modern computers. It IS ultimately the alphabet of most computer languages though. I hear some eggheads are trying to make computers that can percieve the concept of "Maybe" instead of just "Yes" and "No".

S A R C A S M ! :cool:

Texguy84 said:
Incidentally, all you Firefly or Stargate fans need to check out the books "Stepping Through the Stargate" and "Finding Serenity", they're collections of essays about the two shoes written by various people, including experts in different fields, people involved in the show in various ways, etc. Lots of fun to see the angles that different people come at the show from (the book was published before Serenity came out in theatres, so at least one of the essays has been proven as being firmly off-track, but it's still a very neat concept the guy presents).

One of the more interesting things they pointed out was that the Alliance as a whole benefits more from people like Malcolm Reynolds *not* being put in jail than they do from capturing them. They note that Serenity and presumably other ships like her provide various needed services that the Alliance for whatever reason can't or won't do, including moving merchandise, supplying food or medicine, and even providing law enforcement or protection against no-gooders.

The fact that Captain Reynolds also harbors highly valued fugitives of the law and keeps them away from the Alliance officials who want them does throw a wrench in that formula though, hence their occasional problems with operatives such as the Blue Hands Group and The Operative, compared to their run-ins with the regular Alliance types who can usually be convinced to let them go.

I have both as well as the ones on Buffy and Angel.

The Firefly essays weren't nearly the quality of the other three, in my opinion.

Interesting reads, though.

Spins said:
I have both as well as the ones on Buffy and Angel.

The Firefly essays weren't nearly the quality of the other three, in my opinion.

Interesting reads, though.

wooo hoo.. I got my nerdy co-workers email address!! no if he only used his messangers!..
ok guys.. any suggestions on my next move?

Texguy84 said:

Ye, unqualified variables....HOTTTTT!

Texguy84 said:
Hey, just pointing out that you were wrong. :D

Nerd Fight!

Side note: I am joking...we all know nerd fights can get dangerous...20 sided dice whipping through the air..pocket protectors with sharp edges....leather bound collectors sets of LoTR slaming over peoples heads...honestly..a Magik card to the chest is no way to go.

Last edited:
lil_squirter said:
Nerd Fight!

Side note: I am joking...we all know nerd fights can get dangerous...20 sided dice whipping through the air..pocket protectors with sharp edges....leather bound collectors sets of LoTR slaming over peoples heads...honestly..a Magik card to the chest is no way to go.

No worries.

I believe in the Jayne school of fighting, anyhoo :cool:

Spins said:
No worries.

I believe in the Jayne school of fighting, anyhoo :cool:

...Get harpooned in the leg and complain? Or the part where he gets beaten up by a 90lb girl?

lil_squirter said:
...Get harpooned in the leg and complain? Or the part where he gets beaten up by a 90lb girl?

More the fact he finds the winning side :cool:

lil_squirter said:
Nerd Fight!

Sharpens his slide rule, and ties the shoulder straps of his two cameras to make CAMERACHUCKS! :nana:

The Ten Commandments of DOS

I am thy DOS, thou shall have no OS before me, unless Bill Gates gets a cut of the profits therefrom.

Thy DOS is a character based, single user, single tasking, standalone operating system. Thou shall not attempt to make DOS network, multitask, or display a graphical user interface, for that would be a gross hack .

Thy hard disk shall never have more than 1024 sectors. You don't need that much space anyway.

Thy application program and data shall all fit in 640K of RAM. After all, it's ten times what you had on a CP/M machine. Keep holy this 640K of RAM, and clutter it not with device drivers, memory managers, or other things that might make thy computer useful.

Thou shall use the one true slash character to separate thy directory path. Thou shall learn and love this character, even though it appears on no typewriter keyboard, and is unfamiliar. Standardization on where that character is located on a computer keyboard is right out .

Thou shall edit and shuffle the sacred lines of CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT until DOS functions adequately for the likes of you. Giving up in disgust is not allowed.

Know in thy heart that DOS shall always maintain backward compatibility to the holy 2.0 version, blindly ignoring opportunities to become compatible with things created in the latter half of this century. But you can still run WordStar 1.0

Improve thy memory, for thou shall be required to remember that JD031792.LTR is the letter that you wrote to Jane Doe three years ago regarding the tax deductible contribution that you made to her organization. The IRS Auditor shall be impressed by thy memory as he stands over you demanding proof .

Pick carefully the names of thy directories, for renaming them shall be mighty difficult. While you're at it, don't try to relocate branches of the directory tree, either.

Learn well the Vulcan Nerve Pinch (ctrl-alt-del) for it shall be thy saviour on many an occasion. Believe in thy heart that everyone reboots their OS to solve problems that shouldn't occur in the first place.

Incidentally, all you Firefly or Stargate fans need to check out the books "Stepping Through the Stargate" and "Finding Serenity..."
Thanks for the rec. I read the Harry Potter one, and it was interesting. Nice to know there's something similar for Stargate.

rainfall said:
Thanks for the rec. I read the Harry Potter one, and it was interesting. Nice to know there's something similar for Stargate.

The Stargate one is actaully pretty interesting. It postulates a lot on the scientific theories and technological advances in the series. There are fewer essays on the characters than in some of the other books, but still worth picking up.

The book either came out during season 7 or right after it so there are a few things that have been resolved since its publishing. :)

The Discovery Channel special: How William Shattner Changed the World, was great.

Did you know that all technological developments of the last 40 years can be traced back to him? Oh yeah! It's true!

And interacial dating....that was him too.

Peak Oil

Is any one looking in to the Peak Oil effect and what it could do to our life style and are there any potential alternatives(economically feasible) to meet transportation and energy needs?

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
xby2 said:
Is any one looking in to the Peak Oil effect and what it could do to our life style and are there any potential alternatives(economically feasible) to meet transportation and energy needs?

Your thoughts?

ummm.. no thoughts at this time.. give me a couple days to research everything. :)

xby2 said:
Hello All

Interested in getting to know some nerdy chicks in the NY/NJ/CT/PA/DE area?

I live in NJ.

Cheers
Xby2

Sorry, kinda confused here. Are you the nerdy chick in question, or are you asking about if there are any?

In any case, in my experience, most of the nerdy girls online seem to live up in the Northeast, with a handful hanging out in Houston, and only one I met on the other end of the state I actually live in (Arizona).

Seems that nerd girls dont' like the desert.

Spins said:
The Stargate one is actaully pretty interesting. It postulates a lot on the scientific theories and technological advances in the series. There are fewer essays on the characters than in some of the other books, but still worth picking up.

The book either came out during season 7 or right after it so there are a few things that have been resolved since its publishing. :)

The whole book is worth it just for the essay about which Stargate character is the most or least datable, and why. When it comes down to it, the only really datable character is apparantly the guy who dials the Stargate.

Texguy84 said:
Sorry, kinda confused here. Are you the nerdy chick in question, or are you asking about if there are any?

In any case, in my experience, most of the nerdy girls online seem to live up in the Northeast, with a handful hanging out in Houston, and only one I met on the other end of the state I actually live in (Arizona).

Seems that nerd girls dont' like the desert.

I scoff at this! I am south eastern and a nerdgirl!

lil_squirter said:
I scoff at this! I am south eastern and a nerdgirl!

me too!! I'm in the midwest!!

BTW- yeah!! its football season!! too bad the chiefs couldn't find a win if it hit them in the face..

Wtb

WTB Back Massage. *sigh* I work too much and am having back spasms again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back