God

No. If I'd started with Slurpees and Kathy Griffin, he'd have more splainin to do.

Bacon and Mila Kunis are the crowning achievements in a long line of false starts and lesser foods-slash-sitcom-turned-movie-stars.

I'd fuck Kathy Griffin, while drinking a slurpee.

I thought you practiced Buddhist meditation.

Most post-theological rationalists accept that there are alternate states of consciousness that can be brought about though meditation.

The rejection of magical thinking, the understanding that we can experience transcendence and spiritualism without theism, and the affirmation of man's Darwinian altruism is completely non-theistic, and has a term -- it's called Humanism.

Thirty plus pages and no proof to back up the claims that a god exits. I'll be back later to continue winning this argument...

Thirty plus pages and no proof to back up the claim that that god doesn't exist. I'll be back later to continue winning this arguement........

Thirty plus pages and no proof to back up the claim that that god doesn't exist.

No one has made that claim. We're only responding to your claim.

Atheism is not an "ism". It claims nothing. Atheism means "without theism". It is only a response to the claim that God is something that exists. Atheism makes no claims of its own. It has nothing to prove.

You keep bringing up arguments from centuries ago. If you're really not going to play on my level you should just make me a sandwich.

So you live in America, had some issues, and you are comparing that to all the starving children? Wow...gods WILL? Well he is an asshole then. By the way, he doesn't exist, and if believing in some fairytale makes all the world's problems okay, because of his "mysterious ways", that is seriously fucked up.

No, I thank God I have never had to worry about starving. You're right I can't compare that to violence in the home and getting molested by two people in my family. It is like comparing apples and oranges. That experience did help me become more sensative to the plight of children. I wasn't talking about God's will. He gave us free will. He could have made us follow him. People wonder why he didn't just do that. He gave US free will. We get to choose.

I am just curious. You are so worried about the hungry. Are you involved in feeding them? I have worked with the local food pantry and I sponsor a child in Africa. Maybe we could do something together and make a difference.

No, I thank God I have never had to worry about starving. You're right I can't compare that to violence in the home and getting molested by two people in my family. It is like comparing apples and oranges. That experience did help me become more sensative to the plight of children. I wasn't talking about God's will. He gave us free will. He could have made us follow him. People wonder why he didn't just do that. He gave US free will. We get to choose.

I am just curious. You are so worried about the hungry. Are you involved in feeding them? I have worked with the local food pantry and I sponsor a child in Africa. Maybe we could do something together and make a difference.

The things I do, I do quietly and wouldn't do to show what a compassionate person I am to other people...(like religious people do)

now, just trying to understand here, it is gods will that 15 thousand children a day die on this planet? But he created them, right? So, why did he create them? Do they not pray right?

The things I do, I do quietly and wouldn't do to show what a compassionate person I am to other people...(like religious people do)

now, just trying to understand here, it is gods will that 15 thousand children a day die on this planet? But he created them, right? So, why did he create them? Do they not pray right?

I'll let Mother Teresa's statement speak for itself. She gave her life to the poor and hungry. "When a person dies of hunger it does not happen because God did not take care of him or her, It happened because neither you nor I wanted to give that person what he or she needed. We have refused to be the instruments of love in the hand of God. It has happened because we did not recognioze Christ when, once more, he appeared under the guise of pain, identified with a man numb from the cold, dying of hunger:when he came in a lonely human being, in a lost child in search of a home."

I'll let Mother Teresa's statement speak for itself. She gave her life to the poor and hungry. "When a person dies of hunger it does not happen because God did not take care of him or her, It happened because neither you nor I wanted to give that person what he or she needed. We have refused to be the instruments of love in the hand of God. It has happened because we did not recognioze Christ when, once more, he appeared under the guise of pain, identified with a man numb from the cold, dying of hunger:when he came in a lonely human being, in a lost child in search of a home."

She was religious, of course she blamed people instead of her god. If god knows those people are going to die a horrible death as a child, why did he bring them to life? He's in charge, right? Tell ya what, go stay a week at Childrens hospital, see all those little ones with incurable disases who aren't going home...and why? Their parents don't pray right either? If god is in control, why does he only get credit for the good stuff??

She was religious, of course she blamed people instead of her god. If god knows those people are going to die a horrible death as a child, why did he bring them to life? He's in charge, right? Tell ya what, go stay a week at Childrens hospital, see all those little ones with incurable disases who aren't going home...and why? Their parents don't pray right either? If god is in control, why does he only get credit for the good stuff??

I actually did some training at a children's hospital. It is heart breaking. The thing is that I see life differently. If you don't believe in God life is done at death. Sometimes the pain and suffering cannot continue or to do so would be beyond cruel. God takes these children home to be with him. There is no more pain and suffering. He does answer the prayers. The pain and suffering is gone and the children are whole in heaven. The child is healed. The thing of it is if you have a child who has died it doesn't stop the hurt of wanting them to be here yet with us. God always answers our prayers so the parents weren't praying wrong. Sometimes the answer is just no.

I actually did some training at a children's hospital. It is heart breaking. The thing is that I see life differently. If you don't believe in God life is done at death. Sometimes the pain and suffering cannot continue or to do so would be beyond cruel. God takes these children home to be with him. There is no more pain and suffering. He does answer the prayers. The pain and suffering is gone and the children are whole in heaven. The child is healed. The thing of it is if you have a child who has died it doesn't stop the hurt of wanting them to be here yet with us. God always answers our prayers so the parents weren't praying wrong. Sometimes the answer is just no.

Prove it.

I haven't made a claim. You have. The burden of proof is on you. You claim God exists and that after you die he makes waffles for you. Interesting claim. Can you prove what you're claiming?

Prove it.

Ah, gods will. My favorite! Why did he bring them into being, then? Why, if he's all powerful, did he let them get sick in the first place? Oh-mysterious ways?

Sorry, I was raised in church, three times a week, christian high school...the works. Once I realized I had the option of not believing in a fairy tale. Quite freeing. The only downside is, I have opinions regarding people who believe in gods. I feel bad for their ignorance. Keep on believing in a god. I will keep living in reality. If you realized how ridiculous the "god is real" talk was, you'd cringe. Its like an adult who still believes in santa or the tooth fairy.

I haven't made a claim. You have. The burden of proof is on you. You claim God exists and that after you die he makes waffles for you. Interesting claim. Can you prove what you're claiming?

Prove it.

Here is where the debate gets fun because what I can use to prove it with - the bible - is not seen as good enough evidence by those who choose not to believe in it.

Here is where the debate gets fun because what I can use to prove it with - the bible - is not seen as good enough evidence by those who choose not to believe in it.

I'll choose to allow the Bible. If you can do one thing. You say the Bible is true. That's a claim. Prove your claim. Once you prove your claim I will choose to accept its veracity.

Prove it.

Most post-theological rationalists accept that there are alternate states of consciousness that can be brought about though meditation.

The rejection of magical thinking, the understanding that we can experience transcendence and spiritualism without theism, and the affirmation of man's Darwinian altruism is completely non-theistic, and has a term -- it's called Humanism.

You're obviously well read. Do you discount the existence of chi as well as the accounts self realization by mystics throughout history?

Ah, gods will. My favorite! Why did he bring them into being, then? Why, if he's all powerful, did he let them get sick in the first place? Oh-mysterious ways?

Sorry, I was raised in church, three times a week, christian high school...the works. Once I realized I had the option of not believing in a fairy tale. Quite freeing. The only downside is, I have opinions regarding people who believe in gods. I feel bad for their ignorance. Keep on believing in a god. I will keep living in reality. If you realized how ridiculous the "god is real" talk was, you'd cringe. Its like an adult who still believes in santa or the tooth fairy.

If I had all the answers to why things happen, I would be God and I am not.

I respect your right to believe what you do. I live in reality. I just choose to try to do something to make it better.

You're obviously well read. Do you discount the existence of chi as well as the accounts self realization by mystics throughout history?

There is no such thing as Chi. There is no "life force". Life is the result of molecules reacting with each other and has several characteristics, such as reproduction, the induction of energy, etc. What "life" is, exactly, is still being defined by science -- it's incomplete modeling does not mean that you get to stick magic into it, though. "Chi" is a metaphorical and magical way to describe a life "force" of some kind. It has no scientific merit of any kind, and describes no actual biological property.

Alternate states of consciousness and self-realization are not mystical, magical concepts. They're biological.

I love this thread. Why do I love it? It's like watching dogs chasing their own tails.

Well that and my favorite moron showed up.

If I had all the answers to why things happen, I would be God and I am not.

I respect your right to believe what you do. I live in reality. I just choose to try to do something to make it better.

People who believe in gods do not live in reality. They point to a diety as to why everything happens, and use "God Led Me To" as a way to not accept responsibility for their life. Easy-peasy! "It was the lords will! We just can't understand his ways so praise jesus!!

My question is, WHICH bible?

{She can pick any one she likes. If she claims that the Bible she chooses accurately describes some amazing thing, like God's creation of the Universe or walking on water, I can't "choose" to accept its truth without equally amazing empirical evidence. Even some circumstantial evidence would keep the claim afloat another hour or two.)

Show me proof that the astonishing claims in your Bible are true.

Back