How to discuss with 'Anon'

CharleneBarr

Literotica Guru
Okay, over 90% of anything 'anon' might choose to write will be worthless, which is precisely why he/she prefers to remain nameless.
But every once in a while they might say something where you do want to argue your case.
This has just happened with my last effort, where 'anon' claimed I was straining people's suspension of disbelief by getting straight into the action. He/she/it claimed (and this is in a story of only about 8k words btw) that I should have taken up 4k words in setting the scene and in leading up to the fondling. A kind of template where there's a). introduction of characters and realization of attraction, b) interaction in order to make. c). hot action inevitable.
I chose to enter the story already at point b). where this attraction was already a given and the characters were comfortable with their situation, which I'm quite at liberty to do because it's MY story.
But how do I go about finding this person who might have raised a salient point, and engage him/her/them in a discussion?
How does one talk to Anon?

Okay, over 90% of anything 'anon' might choose to write will be worthless, which is precisely why he/she prefers to remain nameless.
But every once in a while they might say something where you do want to argue your case.
This has just happened with my last effort, where 'anon' claimed I was straining people's suspension of disbelief by getting straight into the action. He/she/it claimed (and this is in a story of only about 8k words btw) that I should have taken up 4k words in setting the scene and in leading up to the fondling. A kind of template where there's a). introduction of characters and realization of attraction, b) interaction in order to make. c). hot action inevitable.
I chose to enter the story already at point b). where this attraction was already a given and the characters were comfortable with their situation, which I'm quite at liberty to do because it's MY story.
But how do I go about finding this person who might have raised a salient point, and engage him/her/them in a discussion?

I simply post a response to their point. They often respond via an alt.

There is no way that you can find them unless it was a public comment and you respond there and ask them to contact you

But why would you? You have no reason to have to defend your story. They didn't like it, fine they don't have to, but I ma sure many did like it.

That person obviously has a certain style of story they like and yours didn't fit that mold.

You owe no explanation to this person as to how you had already established XWZ.

Who cares what they think?

Write your own story, your way, and let Anymouse write theirs.

Guess who will have more stories in the end.

Some people will even bitch if you hang them with a new rope. Well, once anyway. ;)

Some people will even bitch if you hang them with a new rope. Well, once anyway. ;)
Ha! And if they're Anonny (as one of my supporters labels such) they'll bitch that they just glanced at the rope and it wasn't new enough.

If someone was interested in engaging with you, they would create a profile (or sign into one of their profiles) and leave a comment. It's a free site and registration is free. Same with sending you feedback via email, they have the option of including their email address for a reply.

If they can't bother to do either one, then I suggestion discounting the value of their comments in your mind.

One doesn't. You can reply to public comments if you like. But in the end if they want to talk they'll email you (they can create a throwaway gmail account if they have reasons to stay secretive), and if they don't, they don't.

I get just enough contact from readers - and just enough of it is interesting - that I don't mind if I can't reply to all of them. A few of the people I've engaged in conversations with have been fascinating, and they make up for the drive-by commenters. Just wait; interesting people with interesting thoughts will come along, and some will stay.

Was the comment on the story? You can answer there in another comment. Anon may or may not see it, but others will and might join in the discussion. If it was sent in an e-mail and you feel your point is good for general discussion, you could repeat it here on the AH and provide your discussion.

If you just want to respond to the Anon only and not broaden those considering the point, I suggest just sitting on your hands. If they had wanted an exchange they wouldn't have commented at Anon.

Was the comment on the story? You can answer there in another comment. Anon may or may not see it, but others will and might join in the discussion. If it was sent in an e-mail and you feel your point is good for general discussion, you could repeat it here on the AH and provide your discussion.

If you just want to respond to the Anon only and not broaden those considering the point, I suggest just sitting on your hands. If they had wanted an exchange they wouldn't have commented at Anon.

This. Comment in reply to your anon, and if they come back later and see you've replied, then you're great. I've yet to get a reply from an anon to whom I've replied, but I don't have a sizable readership either so maybe you'll have better luck. :)

It's not clear to me that an Anon posting from the same computer can put a followup comment on a story. From somewhere I thought that the same Anon only got one shot at a story comment.

It's not clear to me that an Anon posting from the same computer can put a followup comment on a story. From somewhere I thought that the same Anon only got one shot at a story comment.

Correct. You can only comment anon once. You have to be registered and logged in to leave multiple remarks.

Unless they comment from multiple locations as some do

That's one of my quandries. Yes, the original comment was on my story so I did as suggested - asked them to give me a name so I could reply. Since then I've had another 'anon' comment, one of those I'd normally ignore except that his use of a double negative was so tempting.... but was this the same 'anon'? I've no idea...

That's one of my quandries. Yes, the original comment was on my story so I did as suggested - asked them to give me a name so I could reply. Since then I've had another 'anon' comment, one of those I'd normally ignore except that his use of a double negative was so tempting.... but was this the same 'anon'? I've no idea...

If you have individual stalker/"sworn enemy"/crazy followers, they'd probably see your response because they follow you. Several of the regulars here lament that they have a few. If you don't have that type of "fan", then it's less likely.

If the comment was insightful and about the writing, not just complaining about the details of the sex, then it was possibly an author. You just never know.

But most to the point.. If you want or need to explain yourself, explain away, whether through authors notes up top or your own comment after the story. That way you tell everybody, whether you reach the anon commenter or not.

This is why some people believe there are trolls ghost-lurking in the AH for new victims. Are they right? Who the fuck knows. I've never been much on conspiracy theories beyond enjoying how twisted they get, and quickly. I'd like to believe the vast majority of people have better things to do with their time than pick on random people; though experience has taught me how that's rather Pollyanna of me.

Could it be the same person? Yeah, maybe. As jsmiam pointed out, sometimes you can attract an individual stalker/"sworn enemy"/crazy follower. I've apparently done so with the pro-male-bisexuality included in many of my stories. Same has happened to a couple of my interracial works, too. Some people love to hate.

Please don't forget you have the ability to turn off comments, turn off anonymous comments, and/or delete any comments you want from any of your stories. I've made my peace with when and how I decide to exercise that power. Sometimes, Anon is so laughably moronic, it's more fun to leave the comment up for others to marvel at their stupidity.

... sometimes you can attract an individual stalker/"sworn enemy"/crazy follower.
I know I have some. They come with the territory, I guess.

Sometimes, Anon is so laughably moronic, it's more fun to leave the comment up for others to marvel at their stupidity.
And I also have supporters who bash Anon for me. That feels good.

A software feature we'll never see here: Turn the Comment engine into a forum allowing anon posting. There, authors and readers could discuss endlessly. And threads like this would not be necessary. ;)

sometimes you can attract an individual stalker/"sworn enemy"/crazy follower. I've apparently done so with the pro-male-bisexuality included in many of my stories. Same has happened to a couple of my interracial works, too.

So basically, you can't feel you've really arrived on Lit until you've acquired your own personal stalker?
Yay, I'm here....!

So basically, you can't feel you've really arrived on Lit until you've acquired your own personal stalker?
Yay, I'm here....!

Never thought about it like that, but hey, maybe that IS a bizarre badge of honor? I guess if you're writing well enough to piss someone off, you're accomplishing something. ;)

Never thought about it like that, but hey, maybe that IS a bizarre badge of honor? I guess if you're writing well enough to piss someone off, you're accomplishing something. ;)
That's what I call my death-wish comments -- badges of honor. I have REALLY provoked them and thus have done my job. That's why some of the more virulent spews are in my .sig. And yes, I see some stalking. I am IN!.

Back