Allowing another writer to use your character(s)

Zootonius

Blinking Osprey
A new writer asked if he could use 2 characters from one of my stories. Their purpose in my story was for a one night MMF with my MFC. I don't intend to reintroduce them, so I have no objection to the writer using them. And I did imply more to their story.

Anyone else done this?

I have to say, I wouldn't allow it.

I don't have the attachment to my characters that some authors apparently (according to this thread). But they're still *my* characters, and if another writer had them do things I'd feel... violated is perhaps too strong, but I can't think of another word.

I wouldn't, either. My characters - no, I'm not being corny - are my friends. Yes, they're my "imaginary friends", but they interact in ways that my subconscious mind motivates them to interact. There are things about them that may not ever make it to the writing about them that influences how they behave in the present. Somebody else tinkering with the relationships to each other would be literally out-of-character.

"I can't stop you from doing what you want, but don't represent them as my characters or give them the same names and recognizable biographical details, and don't say your story has anything to do with mine. Just don't name me at all in any way related to your work."

I had a publisher once who wanted to mash up some of her writers, and the upshot was that I lent one of my characters to another writer and took one of his in return. We each put our own narrative and descriptive "spin" on those characters.

Since it was done through the auspices of the publisher, and she had a stake in the outcome, I agreed. But I wasn't enthusiastic about it. I heard the other writer produced something workable with my character, though I curiously have no urge to read it. What I do know is that, from my end, I found the whole process REALLY difficult. It wasn't easy to try to remain faithful to the other guy's character while also trying to express myself and, at the same time, create a saleable product.

So, knowing how hard all that can be, I think I'd decline. I'd offer to share my "universe," though, without any question: settings and such? No problem.

A new writer asked if he could use 2 characters from one of my stories. Their purpose in my story was for a one night MMF with my MFC. I don't intend to reintroduce them, so I have no objection to the writer using them. And I did imply more to their story.

Anyone else done this?
I’ve loaned basically myself (or the nun version of me) to @Djmac1031 for his Angels & Demons saga.

I’ve loaned basically myself to @EStaccato for Baby It’s Cold Outside and she returned the compliment with my A Good Girl Gone Bad series.

But I’m friends with both. Not so sure about a random approach.

Em

Last edited:
I’ve loaned basically myself (or the nun version of me) to @Djmac1031 for his Angels & Demons saga.

I think we should probably clarify that statement 😆.

Many of your stories feature a fictionalized version of "you." All with some common physical descriptions, and some common kinks obviously.

How close the physical descriptions are to reality, I have no idea. What I wrote was based on your "Emily" CHARACTER.

And I had you to supervise everything along the way, to make sure I got her right.

I know I wouldn't lend my characters out to just anybody. Especially not ones I'm fond of, like Jenna.

I'd be flattered if someone was inspired by my stories enough to want to continue with a particular character. But I think I'd rather them just be INSPIRED but write their own version.

If someone wants to use one of your characters in a story of their own, that's a testament to your character, surely?

I've done it, borrowed a character, and I've had other writers borrow mine. Provided permission is granted, and you get the opportunity to say, "No, my character wouldn't do that," before publication, I don't have a problem.

That's pretty much how my collaborative writing started: "Hey, I like your character, wouldn't it be good if they got with mine?"

I think we should probably clarify that statement 😆.

Many of your stories feature a fictionalized version of "you." All with some common physical descriptions, and some common kinks obviously.

How close the physical descriptions are to reality, I have no idea. What I wrote was based on your "Emily" CHARACTER.

And I had you to supervise everything along the way, to make sure I got her right.

I know I wouldn't lend my characters out to just anybody. Especially not ones I'm fond of, like Jenna.

I'd be flattered if someone was inspired by my stories enough to want to continue with a particular character. But I think I'd rather them just be INSPIRED but write their own version.
You have a great legal team, hun 🤣

I don't plan on it. One of my motivations for finishing things is ensuring the real ending gets out there before someone else picks up the story and inevitably ruins it. I've gotten too much feedback saying "we don't know where you're going with this!" to have faith in a faithful adaptation from anyone on here.

I’ve loaned basically myself to @EStaccato for Baby It’s Cold Outside and she returned the compliment with my A Good Girl Gone Bad series.

But I’m friends with both. Not so sure about a random approach.

Em
Interesting takes here. For me, these were two throw away characters that I have no attachment to. My one restriction will be any call back to my story and any of my other characters.

I'd have to know how they'd be used--if in a way I thought would be interesting/kicky.

As a reader, I enjoy seeing characters I like by one author being integrated into stories by another author, but I can't recall this ever being done where the MC from one becomes the MC for the other. Two famous mystery writers, Michael Connelly and Robert Craise would frequently interject the MC from the other's books into a cameo appearance in one of their own and it worked for the stories and the characters.

I can't say that I would never agree to one of my characters being used by someone else, but it would have to be conditional on my review and approval of how the character(s) was presented.

As a reader, I enjoy seeing characters I like by one author being integrated into stories by another author, but I can't recall this ever being done where the MC from one becomes the MC for the other.
I'm a big fan of Robert E. Howard's Conan, but never got into the pastiches by other writers. Robert Jordan wrote six Conan books, if I'm not mistaken, one of which was the novelisation of "Conan the Destroyer". But overall he was so untrue to the character that they felt just one step up from teenage fan-fiction. That put me off trying any of the attempts by other writers.

I'm a big fan of Robert E. Howard's Conan, but never got into the pastiches by other writers. Robert Jordan wrote six Conan books, if I'm not mistaken, one of which was the novelisation of "Conan the Destroyer". But overall he was so untrue to the character that they felt just one step up from teenage fan-fiction. That put me off trying any of the attempts by other writers.
In my experience, it’s really hard trying to be true to someone else’s character. But it was a rewarding experience trying with @EStaccato

Em

I’d have to review and approve the story for it to be canon with my other stories, but if someone is inspired enough by my writing, sure, go for it and let me know- preferably before you publish so you don’t end up having to eat your words.

In my experience, it’s really hard trying to be true to someone else’s character. But it was a rewarding experience trying with @EStaccato

Em
A while ago I thought of a writing experiment: two writers both tell the same story, but from the POV of two different protagonists. A break-up between two partners, for example - or how they get together, to make it slightly less depressing.

It would be really interesting to see how the authors both handle the other's POV character.

Anyone else done this?
The short answer is no...
I have written a trilogy with two other writers. Each of us writing different parts of a tale. That was fun, and I enjoyed it immensely.
I don't allow other writers to write alternate versions of my stories.
When I write a story, I spend a lot of time developing the plot, and the characters. They belong to me. They come from my imagination. I hate the idea of another writer twisting my story into something I wouldn't like.

I can't see any reason why a writer would want to use a character from somebody else's story.
Characters in stories, have their own identities, and they merge into the story.
If another writer liked my story, liked the way that character reacted, interacted. They could simply associate those behaviours with their own story line...
Unless it's a retelling of the same story, it's irrelevant... Isn't it?

Cagivagurl

Frankly, I'd prefer that whomever just uses the character and I never find out about it. It would avoid so many hassles. If you like a character, her style, her look, her attitude, her sexuality, even her background, that's fine. By all means, use her, rename her, and do not mention my work at all. This is all just for fun. My ego isn't involved too much beyond just putting out decent work that people like.

It would he hard to prevent another author from doing something you felt took away from the character.

Apparently in the MCU James Gunn lobbied the other directors to never let Rocket show any empathy towards anyone who wasn't a Guardian of the Galaxy. He felt it was integral to the character.

Back