Allowing another writer to use your character(s)

My characters here are 99% trope anyway (because I like playing with tropes) so no one will ever ask me this, but if they did I'd just ask them to change the names.

I have to say, I wouldn't allow it.

I don't have the attachment to my characters that some authors apparently (according to this thread). But they're still *my* characters, and if another writer had them do things I'd feel... violated is perhaps too strong, but I can't think of another word.
I'll probably have to publicly modify this statement one of these days.

My characters here are 99% trope anyway (because I like playing with tropes) so no one will ever ask me this, but if they did I'd just ask them to change the names.
Well, the requested characters that started this thread are tropes as well. So, be aware.

To add, you reminded me of the old Dragnet show, "The name were changed to protect the innocent."

Last edited:
I think the majority of us will never have to deal with this issue , 😂 but honestly, to if someone asked me, it'd depend a lot in the skill if the author and the plot of their proposed story.

It'd be incredibly flattering, and as long as I could read it before publication, I'd definitely be open for it as a possibility, at least.

The irony is, I would NEVER have the desire to do this myself, and yet I have written a story in another author's universe (with permission).

If I like the original author's characters and story, then whatever I did with them would just feel like nonsense. I am far more likely to want to borrow a setting (sci-fi/fantasy etc) and place new characters in that world.

So, knowing how hard all that can be, I think I'd decline. I'd offer to share my "universe," though, without any question: settings and such? No problem.
Same here. Characters are mine, they live in my head. I'm not letting any strangers in there. But the universe, definitely. All kinds of characters live in a universe, and so long as they don't take it's fundamental nature somewhere that doesn't fit it, or corrupt the timeline, I'm all for it.

Hey, I like your character, wouldn't it be good if they got with mine?
Now, that, I could probably go with. Have my characters fuck your characters, and we each write our own character's part of the scene. My guy says, "show me your tits", your girl responses with ... ???

A while ago I thought of a writing experiment: two writers both tell the same story, but from the POV of two different protagonists.
Last week, I wrote a very short story from the male POV, then thought it would be more interesting from the female POV, so I wrote that too. Exact same dialog and events. Then I thought maybe if a female writer wanted to write the female POV it would be even more interesting. Then I went down a rabbit hole of logistics in my head, and it is still languishing on my hard drive.

Now, that, I could probably go with. Have my characters fuck your characters, and we each write our own character's part of the scene. My guy says, "show me your tits", your girl responses with ... ???
"Don't be in such a hurry. There's plenty of time."

If there's one thing about my stories, it's slow burn...

Back