Would You Accept a Co-Writer for your Stories and Why or Why Not?

I suppose the obvious thing I haven’t said is I can’t imagine co-writing with anyone who wasn’t first and foremost a friend.

Emily

There really isn’t a consistently dominant voice. Might be me in one area, him in another, neither of us in a third. I think our strength is we listen and we respect each other’ point of view.

Continuing my DJ analogy:

The DJ company I worked for had a huge banquet every year in Atlantic City.

One year I was chosen to DJ the thing. Wound up working with one of my friends and fellow DJs and turning it into a two man show.

Difference was, I respected the hell out of him. He had a skill set on the turntables I couldn't even come close to. He, on the reverse end, respected my MC abilities and my skill at crowd control and getting people involved

Our particular skill sets highly complimented each other and we both also trusted and respected each other to set ego aside and work together for the greater good .

Needless to say, we fucking crushed that party.

All this to say that differences can clash or compliment, depending on the people involved. And for two talented individuals to come together to make it work, there needs to be trust, respect, compromise and humility.

I suppose the obvious thing I haven’t said is I can’t imagine co-writing with anyone who wasn’t first and foremost a friend.

Emily

Agreed. Obviously. 🙂

To beat my DJ analogy to death; the difference between being forced to work with a DJ I barely knew or trusted and choosing to work with a friend and trusted colleague was obviously night and day.

I'll add to what I said before: I think collaboration is important, particularly in longer works. It's almost impossible for an author to work through an entire novel, then consider it objectively. When I sit down at a cafe with my editor she finds things that I never would have found, she asks questions I never considered, she analyses my characters, themes and motifs in a way I never could.

But that process of actually writing is too personal for me to share. I wouldn't necessarily call it ego; because I'd still not want to co-write one of my own works with any of my favourite authors (who I absolutely consider better than myself). It's more about creative liberty.

...two heads are often better than one. I don’t have any IRL experience of E/V, but @Djmac1031 writes about it a lot.

This makes sense, but I'd rather just do some research, or use my imagination, or a combination of both. I find that fun. I find it less fun to ask others. I've written all sorts of different things I've never done before; I don't see writing about a sister pegging her brother as being any different from writing about flying in space. Not that I've ever published anything about the former, but I feel like I could. I'd enjoy the challenge. You think about how you'd want to tell it, you do some basic research to make sure the physics aren't TOO outre, and away you go.

Again, different strokes, different folks.

Again YMMV but I’ve never felt at all constrained working with @Djmac1031 - it’s actually kinda freeing, I think we come up with stuff that neither of us would by ourselves.

Emily

The interesting thing is, @EmilyMiller and I have two very different writing styles.

And very different kinks. Usually.

I went back and looked at the first Traffic, and it's pretty obvious who wrote what parts, especially for anyone whos read any of our solo work.

Rereading Traffic 2, it's a little harder. Even I have to stop and think about some parts as to who wrote what.

I mean again, the tells are still there, of course. I just think we blended them better this time.

Instead of feeling "constrained" to mimic someone else's style or be shoehorned into writing their ideas their way, we've actually found it liberating and productive to work together, sharing ideas, styles, kinks etc.

I've definitely come up with ideas, written things I'd never have dreamed up without Emily's input and inspiration.

And she obviously feels the same.

The interesting thing is, @EmilyMiller and I have two very different writing styles.

And very different kinks. Usually.

I went back and looked at the first Traffic, and it's pretty obvious who wrote what parts, especially for anyone whos read any of our solo work.

Rereading Traffic 2, it's a little harder. Even I have to stop and think about some parts as to who wrote what.

I mean again, the tells are still there, of course. I just think we blended them better this time.

Instead of feeling "constrained" to mimic someone else's style or be shoehorned into writing their ideas their way, we've actually found it liberating and productive to work together, sharing ideas, styles, kinks etc.

I've definitely come up with ideas, written things I'd never have dreamed up without Emily's input and inspiration.

And she obviously feels the same.
Face it, hun. We’re just this crazy outlier 🤣.

Emily

Face it, hun. We’re just this crazy outlier 🤣.

Emily

I mean I get what everyone else is saying, I truly do. It's hard working with other people most times. Especially strangers on the internet.

So, yeah. Maybe we're just freaks of nature or something.

But I'm hoping all our conversation at least inspires somebody reading to open their mind to the possibilities of it and realize collaborating can work in the right circumstances.

Again YMMV but I’ve never felt at all constrained working with @Djmac1031 - it’s actually kinda freeing, I think we come up with stuff that neither of us would by ourselves.
I agree, there's no constraint in terms of story or narrative.

A second writer can expand horizons, help with inspiration, encourage discipline, etc. - and all that is very valuable and very normal. Plenty of people have success with it. The creative liberty I'd lose if I co-wrote something would not be practical, and it would not reduce the size of my canvas.

But there is still liberty lost in the creative process. By virtue of introducing another dimension, collaborative works intrude on my solitary writing process. That doesn't have to be a bad thing, but for me and my workflow it doesn't work. I've always written alone, since I was ten, so that lonely internal process of building my stories is tattooed into me.

That quiet discovery of a beautiful image, or of a new character trajectory; those dinners where I'm thinking about my novel, pretending to engage in conversation, and nobody else in the whole world knows my thoughts or plans - those personal, solitary moments that I love about writing have to be solitary. You can have equally valuable moments when you're sharing that discovery with another creative mind, but they would be different moments. Not for me.

I love my editor, but we have our meetings after I've been on my own journey of discovery. She fills a similar role to what others have said about their co-author, but in a more retrospective way that lets me be lonely while I'm figuring out the story for the first time.

Collaborating can work. Many, many people manage and produce amazing results. I'd even be open to it for more experimental stories, but not my main novels. I'm sure a co-author could make me produce some of my best work, but that's an experience I am happy to have considered, said no to, and moved on from. It's not a matter of being impossible or difficult, just a contradiction with what I personally value in my writing process.

I agree, there's no constraint in terms of story or narrative.

A second writer can expand horizons, help with inspiration, encourage discipline, etc. - and all that is very valuable and very normal. Plenty of people have success with it. The creative liberty I'd lose if I co-wrote something would not be practical, and it would not reduce the size of my canvas.

But there is still liberty lost in the creative process. By virtue of introducing another dimension, collaborative works intrude on my solitary writing process. That doesn't have to be a bad thing, but for me and my workflow it doesn't work. I've always written alone, since I was ten, so that lonely internal process of building my stories is tattooed into me.

That quiet discovery of a beautiful image, or of a new character trajectory; those dinners where I'm thinking about my novel, pretending to engage in conversation, and nobody else in the whole world knows my thoughts or plans - those personal, solitary moments that I love about writing have to be solitary. You can have equally valuable moments when you're sharing that discovery with another creative mind, but they would be different moments. Not for me.

I love my editor, but we have our meetings after I've been on my own journey of discovery. She fills a similar role to what others have said about their co-author, but in a more retrospective way that lets me be lonely while I'm figuring out the story for the first time.

Collaborating can work. Many, many people manage and produce amazing results. I'd even be open to it for more experimental stories, but not my main novels. I'm sure a co-author could make me produce some of my best work, but that's an experience I am happy to have considered, said no to, and moved on from. It's not a matter of being impossible or difficult, just a contradiction with what I personally value in my writing process.
I kinda get that.

Emily

When I first joined Lit, I wrote a story along with two other authors. If I remember right, we each had a part and then one of the other guys put them together. We all had a chance to voice an opinion before approving the final version.

Because I seldom post anything erotic here anymore, I think it would be difficult to write a story with someone else.

I did collaborate here once upon a time that I remember. I recall the writing process being fraught with lack of communication and that being a problem. We all also felt differently about the stories- arguing over characters inclusion, plots, and whatnot- and felt challenged by the demands of writing something every week then not getting great reviews. We also didn’t have a clear plan for how the story would go. So we ended up scrapping everything when the chaos of the art creation process overwhelmed us. But I also remember enjoying swimming in the current for a time. And enjoying what was created as long as it survived.

I think the big problem was we didn’t respect each other’s boundaries and egos. Or we expected each other to subordinate ourselves recklessly to the process. Collaborating can be great when the personalities mesh. When they don’t and there’s unreasonable pressure in play… things crash.

Ultimately I think I’d welcome a collaboration in my stories if the personalities of my partners meshed well with our time and expectations. If we couldn’t coordinate well, though… it’s like anything else. You have to take a leap of faith and dare to imagine success, then find it if you can.

I did collaborate here once upon a time that I remember. I recall the writing process being fraught with lack of communication and that being a problem. We all also felt differently about the stories- arguing over characters inclusion, plots, and whatnot- and felt challenged by the demands of writing something every week then not getting great reviews. We also didn’t have a clear plan for how the story would go. So we ended up scrapping everything when the chaos of the art creation process overwhelmed us. But I also remember enjoying swimming in the current for a time. And enjoying what was created as long as it survived.

I think the big problem was we didn’t respect each other’s boundaries and egos. Or we expected each other to subordinate ourselves recklessly to the process. Collaborating can be great when the personalities mesh. When they don’t and there’s unreasonable pressure in play… things crash.

Ultimately I think I’d welcome a collaboration in my stories if the personalities of my partners meshed well with our time and expectations. If we couldn’t coordinate well, though… it’s like anything else. You have to take a leap of faith and dare to imagine success, then find it if you can.
I think you have to have something of a shared vision and then be willing to allow that any differences are things to discuss, not to fall out over.

Emily

I've only had two who I've written with. I found it restrictive for me. I tried to match their style of writing, but it inhibited me. Working on stories that were their outlines, trying to make it impossible to tell who wrote what part, was a frustrating endeavor. I think Summer School would have been better if Kitten or I had written it alone rather than together. The other story is called A Mexican Cutie, and Dad doesn't have credit for it. It worked out fine, but it isn't something Pops is comfortable sharing with others. LOL, I can't give credit to kitten here, so I haven't published it here. I think Cutie has run out of stream so I might put it here.

I've been thinking about this all day.
I'm honestly not sure if I could.
I'm very specific about how I want my stories to go.
I'm trying to be more friendly and trying very hard not to be cutting promos on people, and I'd be worried that if it didn't go exactly as I had in my mind, I'd lose myself. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I don't think I could. I've wondered how the writing process works when 2 people are writing and I don't see that I could do it. I see a story as my baby and I feel pretty sure another person would have different thoughts about which way to take a character or the story arc. No doubt, their ideas could well be better than mine. But still, it's my project and I want the credit or criticism if it succeeds or fails. I want to know that if the story succeeded, then it was my writing that did it and not someone else. Maybe after I have a lot of success as a writer then I might change my mind. I don't want to ride someone else's coattails.

I've had a co-writer - or two - for all the sex fiction I've put online. It's been a fun but mixed experience. Toward the end of what you could call my productive period the rewards and frustrations felt asymmetric, and it appears I've burned out for the nonce.

I’m not trying to be argumentative, but to offer a different perspective.

I don't think I could. I've wondered how the writing process works when 2 people are writing and I don't see that I could do it. I see a story as my baby
Many babies have two parents.
and I feel pretty sure another person would have different thoughts about which way to take a character or the story arc.
That’s kinda the whole point. The grit in an oyster that generates a pearl. Totally pointless writing with someone who you agree 100% with on everything. In trying to reconcile different viewpoints, you can get to something that neither of you would have created yourself.
No doubt, their ideas could well be better than mine.
It’s not about better. That couches the exercise as a competition with a battle over each sentence. It’s really more of a conversation.
But still, it's my project and I want the credit or criticism if it succeeds or fails.
Which is no different in a collab. Just you both get the credit and criticism.
I want to know that if the story succeeded, then it was my writing that did it and not someone else.
Why? Not being provocative. Many human endeavors (sex for example) are collaborative. It’s just as fulfilling when a co-authored work does well, and just as frustrating when it doesn’t. It’s not like you can blame the other person for something you both did.
Maybe after I have a lot of success as a writer then I might change my mind. I don't want to ride someone else's coattails.
It’s really, really, really (am I over stressing this?) NOT* about riding on coattails. It’s about working together.

Emily

* With thanks to my co-author

Last edited:
Back