The Official Author's Hangout 2014 Nude Day Contest Support Thread

I'm seeing it as a challenge, to see how well I can write to the theme without it being obvious that I'm writing to the theme. I want it to be a story that could only really be written for Nude Day.

. . . which means, of course, that the story I started, without it intending to be a Nude Day submission (but could have been made into one), isn't going to be it.

I think this is the wisest, most admirable, and least pleasurable course of action. I hope it is at least rewarding for you. I look forward to it.
 
I think this is the wisest, most admirable, and least pleasurable course of action. I hope it is at least rewarding for you. I look forward to it.

I'll let the readers decide how pleasurable the story is . . . once it comes out. ;)
 
Yeah, which makes this an odd category, too easy to hit the theme.

As for inspiration I've always found it inspiring I never have to start with , "can I use something I've already written and tweak it or "can I use characters and settings I've done before."

I find the amount of that in these threads disheartening

I have so many part written stories that were started for earlier contests. I have them in folders marked "Nude Day", "Earth Day" etc. I have many more general stories that could become entries for any themed contest - IF I get the inspiration to re-write them on theme. The re-written story would be on the theme and very different.

But usually I start yet another new story - which ends up in the file of part-written stories for that theme.

If I finished every story already started for Nude Day, I would have about 12 to 15 entries.
 
I'm seeing it as a challenge, to see how well I can write to the theme without it being obvious that I'm writing to the theme. I want it to be a story that could only really be written for Nude Day.

. . . which means, of course, that the story I started, without it intending to be a Nude Day submission (but could have been made into one), isn't going to be it.



This is the problem I'm having. And why I liked my story from last year so much. There was nudity, but not in a "Hey, it's Nude Day, let's all get naked." kind of way.

The story I'm thinking of ... which is a fine story idea ... would only satisfy the contest requirements if I change the timing from the intended Valentine's Day to Nude Day. I don't really think I want to do that. I'd like to write a story about nudity, not write a smut story that happens to take place on Nude Day. You know?
 
This is the problem I'm having. And why I liked my story from last year so much. There was nudity, but not in a "Hey, it's Nude Day, let's all get naked." kind of way.

The story I'm thinking of ... which is a fine story idea ... would only satisfy the contest requirements if I change the timing from the intended Valentine's Day to Nude Day. I don't really think I want to do that. I'd like to write a story about nudity, not write a smut story that happens to take place on Nude Day. You know?

Yup. I share your frustration. We're probably falling into the "overthinking it" crowd, but oh, well.

Funny thing, though. I had a conversation with my wife about this topic and she came up with a hell of a suggestion. A couple of them, actually. I might actually have a story for Nude Day after all that fits my more narrow definition of the requirements. :D
 
For the first time since I don't know when, I'll probably have this one done before the contest even begins. I've got a draft nearly done, and it's a bit too long but I'm confident I'll have it honed and polished by the time the contest opens. And I think I might be madly in love with my protagonist, too. ;)
 
I might take a shot with a bunny I've had hopping around in my head that would be my first shot at erotic horror here. Might even be three pages and under.....Yes I did not type that with a straight face.
 
I might take a shot with a bunny I've had hopping around in my head that would be my first shot at erotic horror here. Might even be three pages and under.....Yes I did not type that with a straight face.

Make that happen! I dare ya!
 
I finished my first contest story recently. An exhibition story.

I'm currently editing another story, non-contest. If anybody wants a friendly editing tip that I just started doing, try making the font really large. That way, if there is an error, it would be much easier to catch.
 
I finished my first contest story recently. An exhibition story.

I'm currently editing another story, non-contest. If anybody wants a friendly editing tip that I just started doing, try making the font really large. That way, if there is an error, it would be much easier to catch.

I do this in my stories and read them through again. Sometimes I'll change the background color to black and the text to white. It's amazing what you can see when you change the contrast.
 
Inspiration for Nude Day

I ran across this on YouTube, my favorite source for almost-porn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqEdO1evDm0

In an earlier post, I mentioned a story idea I was hoping to pass off to a better writer. No one was interested so I wrote it myself. :confused: If anyone would like to do a quick edit on it, probably mid-week or so, PM me. It'll be in the 6k words range, male POV, sort of a voyeur/romance type of thing with a fun vibe.
 
I'm sorry, but the whole discussion about twisting a story so it doesn't hit the reader over the head with the cliche of "It's Nude Day, let's all fuck!" comes across as silly to me.

It gets as silly as nudist vs. naturalist.

I enjoy being naked and being around other naked people, with or without the expectation of sex. Whether I'm "communing with nature" or just "outside and naked" doesn't matter to me. In some ways, I find the nakedness at swinger events a bit more natural. If a guy gets hard at a swinger event, no one cares. Same guy getting hard at a naturist retreat is expected to cover up.

I get it. There's a difference between being naked because it feels nice and being naked for sex. And, I understand how some people want the freedom to be naked without it being sexual. But there's a point where it all begins to sound like the difference between "erotica" and "porn."

I write first for myself, because I want to explore something. I'm always exploring an idea when I write. Sometimes it's as mundane as POV or trying out a different narrative voice, whatever. Doesn't really matter. Secondly, I'm writing for the reader, any reader, I don't care who.

I'm not going to discount a story because others think "That's a cliche." And I doubt most of our readers would either. They want interesting characters in an interesting situation that includes decent descriptions.

Now if you'll excuse me, I apparently have a soap box attached to my feet.
 
I'm sorry, but the whole discussion about twisting a story so it doesn't hit the reader over the head with the cliche of "It's Nude Day, let's all fuck!" comes across as silly to me.

I can see where you're coming from, but I'm making it a personal challenge to write a story that's specific to Nude Day while not being "hey, they got naked so it qualifies for the contest." I'm more attracted to the challenge aspect than anything else.
 
I can see where you're coming from, but I'm making it a personal challenge to write a story that's specific to Nude Day while not being "hey, they got naked so it qualifies for the contest." I'm more attracted to the challenge aspect than anything else.

For the record, Slyc, I respect someone adding to the challenge. To be fair, I add to my stories all the time, too. Typically POV or characterization or something. Otherwise, for those considering writing a Nude Day story - unleash the muses and screw whether it's a cliche or whether it's 100% faithful to the underlying concept of Nude Day from a naturalist's perspective. Get some words down and have some fun!
 
Just offering the thread a bump:

National Nude Day (July 14)
themes: public nudity, exhibitionism, etc.
starts: June 20
closes: July 11
winners announced: July 18
 
An idea finally found me. Phew.


Well, that's half the problem right there. You're waiting for the ideas to find you. What you need to do is run around the front yard with a big net (the kind they use to catch butterflies works but I prefer a fishing net) while singing umpa-lumpa song at the top of your voice.

When the guys show up in the white coats they will take you to the perfect spot to collect story ideas! Plus, there is free medication and coffee.

Give it a try its worked for me so far.

:D
 
Last edited:
Back
Top