PF's house of horror (.. films)

Woah I've got some catching up to do..

That first one comes to mind anytime I'm behind one of those trucks piled up with long pipes or logs. I change lines in a hurry
I hear ya 🤣

The long anticipated-or in some cases dreaded-Exorcist trailer has dropped. This is going to be a trilogy and done by the guy who did the Halloween trilogy(see dreaded). So I figure I'll link the trailer and see what other people think.
Oh boy. Well, I'll have my fingers crossed that it isn't terrible, but David Gordon Green taking on another bloated franchise makes me cringe a little.

That’s kind of a bummer. It was one of the first found footage films I remember coming out and it was totally believable
I can believe that! I love the idea that the filmmakers kept the cast in the dark at times about what would be happening during the shoot. I think this was the first found footage thing I'd seen, second one was maybe Paranormal Activity..? 👻

So, last night I saw this:

A24 always looking for something new, this supernatural Aussie flick is getting good reviews. It was tense rather than scary but it's still recommended - the directors capture really well that at a certain age that all you really want to do is fit in (even if it means being possessed for 90 seconds) and because the cast is young they get a pass on making some really dim decisions.
It's well shot and doesn't outstay its welcome. Yep 👍

The long anticipated-or in some cases dreaded-Exorcist trailer has dropped. This is going to be a trilogy and done by the guy who did the Halloween trilogy(see dreaded). So I figure I'll link the trailer and see what other people think.

My opinion is if you played this as a straight up possession movie along the lines of the Conjuring universe I'd be more into it, but having to tie it to the original by using "Chris" who is now of course an exorcist herself....sighs. reeks of cash cow, that and being a trilogy I have to wait three movies for an exorcism? Burstyn is 91 so who says she even makes the filming of all three...
Trailer looks good.

I wouldn't blame David Gordon Green for the quality of the last three Halloween movies. That franchise was already a bloated mess by the time he got to it. Although I'll admit I haven't seen them.

Trailer looks good.

I wouldn't blame David Gordon Green for the quality of the last three Halloween movies. That franchise was already a bloated mess by the time he got to it. Although I'll admit I haven't seen them.
Halloween is so over done they made a big deal out of bringing back Jamie Lee to 'finish it" which is what they did in the damn nineties....they're remaking their own remakes.

The Exorcist will never be out done, and the only two worthwhile things since were Part 3 because it was based on Blatty's sequel Legion, and the first season of the Fix TV series was damn good with...close to the same angle as this movie except Geena Davis comes back as Regan....bringing Burstyn back is pure desperation to live off a legacy

Magic Anthony Hopkins

Fats was scaring long before Chucky hit the horror scene.

Awesome tortured soul played by Anthony Hopkins. Really liked him in this. Kind of painful to watch at times. Almost like watching the emotional bruises and trauma of Joaquin Phoenix in Joker.

Fats was scaring long before Chucky hit the horror scene.

Awesome tortured soul played by Anthony Hopkins. Really liked him in this. Kind of painful to watch at times. Almost like watching the emotional bruises and trauma of Joaquin Phoenix in Joker.
Burgess Meredith was also great in that movie!

PS - great horror-movie based username!!

L68, what did you think of Richard Stanley’s handling of Color Out of Space? Looks like he got past the misconduct allegations so we might have The Dunwich Horror coming down the pike. Haven’t seen what the third Lovecraft movie in his 3 movie contract might be. But I liked Cage more than I thought I would in the film. And I really enjoyed Chong’s hippie character.
31DB2107-80FF-480F-9D08-A9901C2718EE.jpeg

This was one that you don’t see much anymore…in fact I haven’t seen it in years…watched it with an old GF and she was climbing the walls that night form what I remember…

Fred Astaire and Douglas Fairbanks Jr….Ghost Story

My opinion is if you played this as a straight up possession movie along the lines of the Conjuring universe I'd be more into it, but having to tie it to the original by using "Chris" who is now of course an exorcist herself....sighs. reeks of cash cow, that and being a trilogy I have to wait three movies for an exorcism? Burstyn is 91 so who says she even makes the filming of all three...

Tubular Bells! A trilogy sounds like a stretch, but I don’t know the background they’re drawing from. Special effects will be better overall, but modern has nothing on the classic head spin. And fwiw, Burstyn looks pretty good for 90.

The Hunger-Doesn’t get any better than Deneuve. And a young Willem Dafoe!

Last edited:
Absolutely right, Lovecraft.. And I thought better of Burstyn to cash in on it.

It looks like every other possession film made over the last decade. Nothing special. With the original even the innocent scenes fill you with dread. There's just something about the whole thing, it's a perfect piece of film making, perfectly cast, perfect score . Even real priests acting in it. And the special effects are brilliant. I thought Merrin was an old man til years later.

And not just cos I lost my mum recently but the scenes with Karras and his mother have always got to me, they are haunting. I think I read somewhere both Blatty and Friedkin had lost their mothers so drew on that perfectly.

I will go see the original if they screen it at our cinema for the anniversary though.

Burgess Meredith was also great in that movie!

PS - great horror-movie based username!!
+10 points for the Burgess Meredith mention! ❤️

L68, what did you think of Richard Stanley’s handling of Color Out of Space? Looks like he got past the misconduct allegations so we might have The Dunwich Horror coming down the pike. Haven’t seen what the third Lovecraft movie in his 3 movie contract might be. But I liked Cage more than I thought I would in the film. And I really enjoyed Chong’s hippie character.
View attachment 2257394
Good feedback. I haven't been in the same room as this film yet but it's on the list. A friend with a similar taste said I'd find this hard work which makes me kind of nervous..
Did it come out the same time as Mandy, kinda? For some reason I link them together in my brain (maybe it's the colour schemes in the marketing..)

Burgess Maribeth was good in so many twilight zone episodes. He had a really distinctive style.

You know who I liked for creepy acting? William Hickey. He had a serious vibe.

Alrighty. Today, I'm giving some love to Terrified / Atterados. I had plans to visit Toronto for the film fest next month but work have rejected my leave request (😭). So instead I revisited this gem.

I don't know why this film didn't get more attention anywhere when it came out, maybe because it's subtitled and only saw a theatrical release in Argentina.
Anyway, I love it. It's about a haunted neighbourhood, it has my favourite opening sequence for a horror film ever (emotionally powerful, kinda brutal), and it doesn't always go the way you think it will. File under: please don't piss off the paranormal.
The final act is kind of a mess but the first couple are gold. There is blood, and it's effective.

(and if you are heading to the film fest, Rugna's new film is part of Midnight Madness)

This was one that you don’t see much anymore…in fact I haven’t seen it in years…watched it with an old GF and she was climbing the walls that night form what I remember…

Fred Astaire and Douglas Fairbanks Jr….Ghost Story

This one was almost as good as the book, and that's saying a lot.

Back