What is a flock of Mary Sues called?

If there was one persistent fly in the ointment of Diana's utopian creation, it was the tightness of the jar lids. There were three cubic kilometers of long-term storage filled with jams and pickles and all that, but unscrewing the lids was an act that continued to defy even the most Amazonian of women's hands.

It's all the tropes that go along with it:
- the hero riding to the rescue so that the heroine gets saved and doesn't need to be kick-ass
- he can be a ruthless bastard in many ways, rich and capable too, but he's tender and vulnerable with her
- his love life is non-existent for reasons, often involving erectile dysfunction, but with her he's a wonderful and empathic lover
- when things get explicit, he is maculinity personified and in glorious detail, and she is a featureless void to be filled
- any other sexually available women are evil whores

It's a weird idealisation of what a man should be so that his woman can feel uniquely loved and protected and taken care of in every meaningful way.

I do understand the fantasy, the idea escaping from a reality of imperfections into a life of zero aggravations and no responsibility or cares. But it's also a patriarchal fantasy of man as hunter-gatherer and woman as property.
This story has none of that. The characters are an almost hyper-idealized version of what I have in my bio:

I write in a fantasy universe where STD's aren't a concern and birth control works every time, where most people are intelligent, respectful, and well adjusted, where 18 or 20 year olds can be both sweetly innocent and wise beyond their years. and where older people are open to new things. A universe where people know, or quickly learn, that intimacy is way more important than getting off, and that the two together are the most powerful force in the world.

I try to write stories where the important stuff happens above the neck, the fun stuff happens below the belt, and the two are deeply connected.

Yeah, I was thinking erotic romance paperback fiction, not Lit stories.

Back