Why do people in LW divorce/btb stories almost never have pets?

why no pets?

Why do women take several dicks a day and not get pregnant?

Why do men pump several ounces of cum when they orgasm, each time they orgasm after a five second recharge?

Why didn't my halloween contest get a red h?

What's the speed of an unladen swallow?

I mean, there was that one story I read where the Rottweiler savaged the Other Man and the 'Hero' got off assault scott free...

I guess, however much we love animals in the real world, it's just much harder to get emotionally invested in who gets custody of a dog.
Hey, that was mine! It was a Doberman, her name was Greta, and she was good girl! Yes she was!

Also, it was for a noir event, so not exactly a serious tale.

But, yeah, unless the story is intended to be comedic (or the custody of pet us for a comedic beat in an otherwise serious story), it’s usually a dead end. Of course, I consider all the details of who got what in the divorce to be kind of a dead end, too, but that’s part of the fantasy for the guys writing and reading those stories, that the husband doesn’t get screwed financially in the divorce. Or, alternately, does, thereby giving more fuel for the fire.

I don't think I'd add a pet into the mix of an LW story. Though in some other categories, I have written a few stories with dogs and cats that did pretty well. I think for a certain type of story, having a pet that they care about makes the characters seem more human.
Agree. When pets show up in LW, they tend to be a dog that represents either the last loyal companion to the husband or the stray they pick up even as they become a stray.

why no pets?

What's the speed of an unladen swallow?

42 might be the speed of one particular unladen African swallow. I swear I saw a European one moving at a different speed the other day.

[casts a forcefield in case of backlash]

In LW stories, it's about the sex and the impact of such sex on their lives. Kids are mentioned, because they often make their own choices in taking sides. But pets make no such choice. Pets could be assumed to be lumped into the division of assets like the house or bank accounts, and it would just complicate the story by delving into the motivations of who gets the pet and why.

Of course, there could be a story where the husband takes the dog, saying "I took your lover, instead of shooting Rover when I caught you two together." But that type of story would be banned on LitE.

Pets can be used for comedy in LW. I give you Fido and a comment from this morning.

This has to be the funniest story I've read on this site. Definitely worth 5 woofs.
I almost didn't post it, thinking it was over-the-top crazy. But the readers loved it.

I noticed this thread five minutes after posting a story where pets (dogs) are central.

It's called "Dog Days" and it's my first foray into the "Romance" category.

I've been bingeing a lot of LW stories focusing on cheating and splitting up, btb, RAAC, other, to help me form some ideas for a story & I just realized something odd while reading one where a wife horned up by a coworker pulls her husband away from fixing dinner for sex without putting the food away... where are the pets?
There have been many. In a few stories the man's biggest regret is losing his beloved dog when the cheating wife strays. Usually pets are ignored as just something else to work into a story. On occasion the pet is pivotal.

I've put some thought into this and have the answer.

Because if an author described the couple owning a seven year old Beagle the story would be rejected for under age. Especially if the Beagle was somewhere in the vicinity of a sexual encounter.

[No personal attacks or trolling - including creating accounts for this specific purpose. Heated discussions are fine, even welcome. However, personally attacking / kink-shaming a fellow author or reader is not allowed within the Author's Hangout. Threads which devolve into the exchanging of insults will be closed and repeat offenders will be given a timeout, per the AH rules.]

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been bingeing a lot of LW stories focusing on cheating and splitting up, btb, RAAC, other, to help me form some ideas for a story & I just realized something odd while reading one where a wife horned up by a coworker pulls her husband away from fixing dinner for sex without putting the food away... where are the pets?
The stories OFTEN deal with the kids, but in hundreds of stories from many authors there's almost never a mention of a cat or dog. Statistically that's REALLY unlikely, and pets would often play a part, whether it be as something to be fought over (one tale did that & cleverly hid that it was about a dog until the end), something that gives someone a reason to live, or any number of other things.
Doesn't seem to matter which way the story goes, the troubled couples never have pets.
Why?
Is this limited to LW? Personally I feel like it's all over Lit's stories.

This is really very strange. We had a dog with a boyfriend and we split up and the dog stayed with me as she spends more time with me. Recently the dog was diagnosed with dermatitis and my ex took him to the vet and read about apoquel for dogs canada. The treatment is going well and we are less worried about the dog

Last edited:
While it's an interesting question, the story's plot usually doesn't allow for extended lamentations about who gets the family K9. They are too busy arguing about who did what to whom, and who did what with whom, and who doing what led to whatever has been to with and how it affects this or that to worry about who must feed what to Bowser.

The stories OFTEN deal with the kids, but in hundreds of stories from many authors there's almost never a mention of a cat or dog. Statistically that's REALLY unlikely, and pets would often play a part, whether it be as something to be fought over (one tale did that & cleverly hid that it was about a dog until the end), something that gives someone a reason to live, or any number of other things.
Doesn't seem to matter which way the story goes, the troubled couples never have pets.
Why?
Holy crap Batman....
It's hard enough tpo come up with new and interesting plots.
Then we have to fill them with equally interesting Characters. Develop nasty villains, wonderful relationships.
Then of course there's the sex scenes...
Now you want pets!!!!!!!!
How much fucking time do you think we have???
Give us a break...
Insert deep sigh...
"Okay, I'll insert a pussy in my next story... I promise...

Cagivagurl.

LOL. I've got my first pet in an upcoming story, Max the dog. It's not a lot, just A- Max is one of those insanely smart dogs that can open doors and work faucets. (I've seen both IRL. The dog even turns the water off.) B-Max was meh about wife 1 but immediately takes to the MC which helps open his eyes to trust again. IE maybe Max knew all along wife 1 was not so great and MC is worth taking a chance.

Probably for the same reason I don't see pets in other categories of stories. They're irrelevant.

Precisely.

The average cuck or hotwife reader cares about pets in the story as much as the average BDSM anal or mind control or romance reader does. That's why none of these stories have pets. Why single out LW?

The average lit reader in general cares about pets in the story just as much as they care about the weather outside - that is not in the slightest. Is my kink happening? All good.

When the pizza arrives does anyone care that a dog barks to answer the knock on the door? Of course not. As long as the naked girl opening the door drops to her knees and starts sucking without delay, everyone is happy.

While it's an interesting question, the story's plot usually doesn't allow for extended lamentations about who gets the family K9. They are too busy arguing about who did what to whom, and who did what with whom, and who doing what led to whatever has been to with and how it affects this or that to worry about who must feed what to Bowser.
Though I suppose there might be space for the cliche Country & Western lament that not only did she run off with the neighbour, but she took my dog, too...Gee, I miss him.

Back