Authenticity. Is it a thing for you? Do you have it in your stories? Do you recognize it?

I would hope my stories come across as authentic, especially given how much of myself I put into my lead character, and how much of my personal fantasies I put into the story (the exception being the story I’m currently writing as an experiment more than anything else). One woman I’ve been exchanging messages with said my stories were illuminating, like she knew me a little more afterwards… or something like that.
I see you've written seven. Can you recommend one or two which most reflect what you're talking about?

In any story, the chore is to lift the reader above their disbelief. A man crawling down the side of a castle wall like a spider, at face value, is unbelievable. But no one who read Dracula in its first publication stopped and pondered if that was believable. They were too interested in seeing what came next (or too worried about it) to think, "That can't happen."

Last edited:
"Authentic" means that it came from the author's heart (see @ElectricBlue's comment on Pain and Pleasure in my OP above.) It's a quality about the relationship between the author and the story. Not that we believe it to be a true story. But it's a story the author had to tell.
You can make a story authentic by drawing on your own experiences, even if they're unrelated to the actual situation that's being described.

We all have plenty of experiences, we've all felt the whole range of emotions. Fear, excitement, arousal, astonishment, grief, love. Remember how you felt. Not in vague terms, but split second by split second.

If you can imagine yourself there in the moment, your heart pounding and time slowing to a crawl, *and* you insert that into the story, it's authentic. But you have to lean into it. Describe it step by step. For instance, the following is from Flesh for Fantasy. I've edited out the bits that don't relate to the authenticity. I had an experience once of catching a glimpse of someone under the shower, and used what I felt to describe my POV's feelings when the same thing happens to him:

She was rubbing a shower oil on her arms, making her olive skin shine and glow. Her tits wobbled a bit with the movement, and I caught glimpses of dark nipple whenever her hand went up or down.

I could have stopped there, I suppose. Stepped back and continued on my way to the kitchen. Made myself that coffee, parked myself in front of the telly. Concentrated on keeping my willy under control and filed the memory away for when I got home.

I could have, and perhaps I should. But I didn't. Instead, I forced myself to breathe very slowly and stand as still as I could. Make no sound, no movement. Nothing that might attract her attention.

[...]

I began to worry about what would happen if she suddenly decided she was done showering. The music would hopefully cover my footsteps as I moved away, but if she caught a flash of movement in the mirror...

[...]

I was forcing myself to breathe slowly and steadily. My legs were trembling with the effort of standing still, and from excitement. I was also making sure my hand stayed away from my cock. One tug could have sent me to the point of no return.

Personally, I think this is quite authentic. It's what someone would feel, exaggerated perhaps and it goes on for longer than my own experience lasted. But I recall my thoughts and concerns, and I put those in the story.

But I could also use that same memory for a scene where someone sees a murder take place, or where they're following someone and don't want to be seen.

And you can use other memories for other situations. Just take the time to describe them.

Really enjoying this thread. I have been working, rather painstakingly at times, on my first story for several months now. I am trying to go into great depth with details that help the reader to understand and feel what is "normal" for the characters and the setting. And while the characters obviously aren't real people, there are definitely real people who I draw upon to help create these characters along with real experiences of people that I know to help build storylines. Where I am struggling is that it always feels much to soon to introduce sex into the story so I am left with quite a bit of reading before people will get to even the first hints of sex. While I feel like it's necessary to create the story I want to, I am wondering if it might not play well here where folks are more than usual reading it explicitly for the sex.

"Authentic" means that it came from the author's heart (see @ElectricBlue's comment on Pain and Pleasure in my OP above.) It's a quality about the relationship between the author and the story. Not that we believe it to be a true story. But it's a story the author had to tell.
"You can make a story authentic by drawing on your own experiences, even if they're unrelated to the actual situation that's being described."

I agree with you, but I'm not sure if you agreed with me. When I say it came from the author's heart, I didn't mean that it was reporting things that actually happened to the author. And yes, I think your quote comes across as authentic, insofar as a short quote can.

I am wondering if it might not play well here where folks are more than usual reading it explicitly for the sex.
Lots of readers like long stories, so don't worry about it.

I have a story that started out as 750 words, later chapters got progressively longer, but readers waited for Chapter Six before the sex happened.

A Girl on the Bus

I am wondering if it might not play well here where folks are more than usual reading it explicitly for the sex.
No worries. This place is loaded with people who put character and plot ahead of sex.

Good to hear. I think I am at over 3,200 words so far without any sex lol
" but readers waited for Chapter Six before the sex"

Well... depends on how you define "sex." What I read of the first few chapters was pretty hot.

" but readers waited for Chapter Six before the sex"

Well... depends on how you define "sex." What I read of the first few chapters was pretty hot.
Quite right. I have a story with the turn of a coffee cup towards someone, that's sex.

The quality I'm trying to describe has to do not with whether the story is believable. That's a quality of good writing. Not all good writing is "authentic" in the way I mean it (and am trying to figure out how to describe it).

Ahhhh.

If I take your meaning correctly, I'm not sure I see how an average reader would ever be sure that a piece is authentic, the way you define it. I suspect a superior writer is able to use language in such a way that everything they write seems "authentic" that way.

So it would be a feeling on the part of the reader, I think, less than on that of the writer. Meaning, a writer is simply trying to do his or her level best to write a story true to the plot/characters/style, or whatever else that writer uses as tools of good storytelling. The "authentic" story, as I understand it, strikes a reader as being heartfelt. If so? I doubt that can ever be quantified, as the same story might easily strike two readers very differently on the "authenticity spectrum."

The quality I'm trying to describe has to do not with whether the story is believable. That's a quality of good writing. Not all good writing is "authentic" in the way I mean it (and am trying to figure out how to describe it). But your reply lets me hone in on this. "Authentic" means that it came from the author's heart (see @ElectricBlue's comment on Pain and Pleasure in my OP above.) It's a quality about the relationship between the author and the story. Not that we believe it to be a true story. But it's a story the author had to tell. That's why I agree with @Victoria14xs.
I think I understand now, but "authentic" means something entirely different. What you describe as "a story the author had to tell" is what I'd call a "deep, personal inspiration". I would think any skilled author could give that "feel" to the work.

Ahhhh.

If I take your meaning correctly, I'm not sure I see how an average reader would ever be sure that a piece is authentic, the way you define it. I suspect a superior writer is able to use language in such a way that everything they write seems "authentic" that way.

So it would be a feeling on the part of the reader, I think, less than on that of the writer. Meaning, a writer is simply trying to do his or her level best to write a story true to the plot/characters/style, or whatever else that writer uses as tools of good storytelling. The "authentic" story, as I understand it, strikes a reader as being heartfelt. If so? I doubt that can ever be quantified, as the same story might easily strike two readers very differently on the "authenticity spectrum."
Yes. I should be clearer. The story has the feel that the author had to write it. That it was from the heart. A really good writer could elicit that kind of feeling. Thanks.

Like Voboy, I would use the word "verisimilitude" to describe what I'm after, rather than "authenticity." My stories often involve unrealistic elements: science fiction bits, magical bikinis, talking teddy bears, people doing things that stretch the bounds of believability. To keep things grounded I try to make things more or less consistent within the boundaries of the world I've created, and I try to limit the amount of magic in any one story. I try to give the characters qualities that make them "seem" real even if they are doing unusual things. The key is not to overtax the reader's ability to suspend disbelief.

I've seen a common theme across AG31's threads. I suppose I'll try not to put words in her mouth and ask the question for myself.

If we all generally agree that character is the most important part of a sex story, how can some stories with almost no character be super duper hot?

Is there a specific quality in the writing that overcomes this huge hurdle, and if it exists, what is it?

I've seen a common theme across AG31's threads. I suppose I'll try not to put words in her mouth and ask the question for myself.

If we all generally agree that character is the most important part of a sex story, how can some stories with almost no character be super duper hot?

Is there a specific quality in the writing that overcomes this huge hurdle, and if it exists, what is it?
Because character *isn't* the most important part of a sex story, at least not necessarily. Sometimes the sex is, sometimes the idea or the situation is.

By analogy, there are plenty of great movies that rely on story, setting or action rather than character. The Magnificent Seven. Star Wars (the original one) was all about presentation and some stellar acting. Any suspense movie, or detective.

Sex stories are no different. This idea that some writers keep championing that character and plot are the be-all and end-all of erotic fiction is pretty blinkered and, if I may say so, quite self-indulgent. And not borne out by the success and popularity of strokers.

Today I read short story that appealed to me very much. It was what I call simple erotica, little plot or characterization. So why was it so appealing? I think I'd call the quality authenticity. I believe that the author was sharing something that really turned him on. Given his statement in his bio, "I am a male who loves lounging on the beach and getting naked for groups of women whenever I can...ALL of my stories are CFNM-driven," which I had read before coming up with this diagnosis, I may be reading into it something that's not there.

Important! I'm not trying to make a case for authenticity as a requirement for "good" erotica. It's one of many lenses one can use to talk about our stories.

Here are some other examples of stories that I think have this quality. Do you agree that they share a quality? Do you have others to add to the list?

- Oz Beach Boy and Alessandra Rampolla This is the one I cite above which got me started thinking about authenticity. It's by @MyBareTorso.

- Pleasure and Pain This story is from 2013 and the author only published this single one.

Here's @ElectricBlue 's reaction to the story.

- Almost all of the stories by @ElectricBlue that I've read, and I'm sure most (all?) of the others. He can't write a story that doesn't vividly portray intimacy between the characters. It's clearly part of his own DNA.

- I'm a little shy to say it, but I would add my own stories here. I don't know if they come across with the quality of authenticy that I'm talking about here, but they surely were written "from the heart." They existed as fully formed fantasies before I wrote them down.
Thank you so much for your interest in my story, it's very gratifying indeed. This story was 100% pure sexual fantasy. It's all built around a TV celeb I basically lust after, and this is a situation I would love to be in with her, tailored to fit with the continuing narrative of my recurring MC. Though simple and straightforward, the fantasy is very potent to me, perhaps leading to the feeling of authenticity that you detected. Thanks again! 🙏

I write erotica as if it's genre fiction - there are tropes that require a reader to suspend some disbelief. But substitute, say, time traveling alien spider robots with groups of almost entirely female characters who are all really into one man's cock. That, unfortunately, does not represent the world as I've experienced it. And so I would not call it authentic, at least as far as the concept relates to verisimilitude.

However, just like how I think genre fiction should be written, I do strive toward some authenticity within those confines. I try to give my characters personality, so they feel like real people. I try to generate some real tension. And, relating to the original post, I certainly share things that actually turn me on. Whether or not I succeed at anything approaching authenticity in any form is up to my readers, I suppose. But at least a small sampling seems to appreciate the result.

Back