Whats your Christmas dinner menu?

oh, I forgot the hawaiin rolls...can't have Christmas without those. They are GREAT for ham sandwiches.

Christmas Day is my mother's birthday, so we've gotten away from doing a huge meal. I mean, really, who wants to cook like that on his/her birthday? Plus, she usually has to work every day up until Christmas, including Christmas Eve, so it's just easier if we don't do the full meal.

We usually do snack/finger foods on Christmas Eve night: sausage balls, chips and spinach dip, cheese balls, fruit tray, Chex mix, party grapes, stuff like that.

On Christmas Day, we usually do ham sandwiches (with lettuce and tomato, yay!), chips and dip, baked beans, salad or coleslaw, and such.

The big deal in our family is not the meal, but dessert. There's usually twice the amount of dessert as there is "real" food. It's usually some combination of these perennial favorites: red velvet cake, German chocolate cake, coconut cake, coconut pie, black forest cake, chocolate pie, pecan pie, sweet potato pie (the only thing on the list I don't like), regular or chocolate teacakes (cut into Christmas shapes, of course), chocolate peanut butter chip cookies, oatmeal cookies, chocolate peanut butter oatmeal cookies, etc.

Mmm. Now I'm hungry!

It's so funny you started this minxie, I was thinking of starting it about a week ago!

I even asked Jounar what his traditional Christmas dinner is.

The reason for my curiousity is that my mom and grandma had decided that insted of our tradtional dinner, they wanted to do sandwhiches. :( With all of the other family traditions being changed this year, I just couldn't deal with this one. So I talked them into it.

We always have a turkey and a ham. My mom hates ham, so she opts to make a turkey as well. I usually cook the ham. I make my own glaze out of honey, brown sugar, and spices.

We have to have mom's mac and cheese (kind of a home made velveta shells and cheese deal), corn, green beans, yams, and cressent rolls.

We usually have mashed potatoes, but this year they want my feta and chive mash.

I also throw in some special things every year, new things that I try. Last year it was stuffed squash (stuffed with a wild rice/ pecan/ dried fruit stuffing), and poached pears. The year before it was lemon almond asperagus. This year it's home made stuffing and lots of low carb desserts (found a cookie that is less than one carb a cookie)

We do the big family meal thing on Thanksgiving.

On Christmas Eve, we have steaks on the grill, salad, baked spuds and stuff. Poker until bedtime. Then the kiddos go to bed and the grown ups do the last minute wrapping (I usually try to sneak out before it's time to wrap and wrap and wrap. Mine's done already.) Then I head on home, stopping at a local monastery to pray. We don't have a big religious do because we've got lots of different faiths going on in our family. Most of them are some variation of Christian but some of us definately fall into the more Pagan end of the scale.

Next morning, leisurely wake up, go over, do pressies, eat breakfast, go play with kids/toys/neighbors. Lots of chaos. Around noon or so we start getting out the munchies, chips and dips (love that green chile cheese dip!), veggies, pinwheels and glazed chestnuts. A little later we get out the sandwich trays. We always have pies and cookies and stuff for dessert. Everyone just kind of nibbles in between all that's going on. And there's tons of people dropping by because it's sort of an open house. No one really overeats because we're busy being social and stuff.

I can't handle too many crowds for too long so I usually duck out around mid-afternoon. My sister usually makes me a goodie bag with lots of sandwhich fixin's and pie and stuff to take home... I get away with sneaking out early because our real "family" time is Christmas Eve.

Sooo... Recipes....

Weird Glazed Chestnut things (This recipe came from a friend of mine. She brought it to a party. It's really really bad for you and therefore, wonderfully delicious.)

One package of bacon.
Two cans (the small ones) of whole chestnuts.
Toothpicks.
2/3 cups of sugar mixed with 1/2 cup of ketchup. I like to add a sprinkle of ground ancho chile pepper to this.

Cut the bacon in half before you start peeling the strips off. Drain the chestnuts. Wrap a half strip of bacon around each chestnut and stab it with a toothpick to hold it in place. Place them in a cake pan, not touching each other. Bake or broil at 350 until the edges of the bacon start to get crispy.

While it's baking, mix the ketchup and sugar and ancho pepper together. When the edges of the bacon are crispy, carefully spoon (or paint with a basting brush) the chestnuts with the mixture. I use a skinny spatula. Put it back under the broiler long enough to carmelize the sauce. Take them out, place them on a paper plate to drain and then enjoy.

Green Chile Cheese Dip

2 8 oz packages of cream cheese, softened.
1/2 an onion, finely diced.
Two cans of green chiles, or one of jalepenos, depending on how hot you like it it.
About a quarter cup of real mayo. Miracle Whip makes it taste sweet, so I don't like it in this.
16 oz finely grated cheese. I like the four cheese taco blend.

Place the cream cheese, onion, chiles and mayo in the blender. Mix on low. Don't be alarmed when it turns a weird pale green. When they're thoroughly mixed, take the beaters out and dump in the shredded cheese. Use a spatula to fold in the cheese. Serve with chips and dips. I like it on celery sticks too.

Pinwheels.

More cream cheese! (In our defense, we do use the low fat kind. But it,s a good thing we eat healthy the rest of the year.)
Green onions
Sliced ham.

Let the cream cheese sit out and get soft. Wash the green onions and let them dry. Trim them about three inches above where the green starts. Take a slice of ham, spread with cream cheese, lay an onion across the end and roll that puppy up. Refridgerate long enough for the cheese to get firm again. (We usually build these the night before and leave them in the fridge overnight.). Right before you serve them, slice them into rounds about an inch tall. Peeps who like a more oniony flavor will like the bottoms. I like less oniony flavor so I usually go for the green ones.

Last edited:
We will have a lot of mouths to feed so Christmas dinner is a hangi.
http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/media/photo/the-hangi

Basically it is food cooked for several hours in a fire-pit on top of stones that have been super-heated up by fire. The food (chicken, lamb, pork, potatoes sweet potatoes, pumpkins etc) is put into metal baskets and wrapped in wet sheets and sacks. The pit is then covered with earth and left for a few hours while the whole lot steams until cooked.

When it is uncovered it is beautifully cooked with a slightly earthy smokey taste that permeates everything. We have this with lots of salads and then a huge desert to finish. Hopefully it will be nice and sunny so we can go swimming in the river later.

I'm kind of hoping to skip the whole x'mas dinner thing this year.

:rose:

K always makes lasagna from scratch. For Christmas Day we make Fettuccine Alfredo.

Lobster and Scallop pasta in a white sauce with fire roasted red peppers.

that sounds lovely. Do you have the recipe to share please?

It's just the mom, kid, and I this year for Christmas day so if we don't go out to eat I'm leaning towards a more non-traditional menue.

This way we can do a day of grazing and don't have to worry about the main course being ruined. Mostly because sticky rice and soup are also grazable if you do it right.:D

I am all for non traditional and grazing!

By the time you reach 40...I reckon you're pretty much done with traditional lol

I am planning on having chocolate ;)

*laugh* I love that Noor :)

I feel like I have forgotten something...:confused:

Just that your belly is going to burst lol

Can you divulge details of your husbands potato salad.....?

Here it is. :D

OssoBuco

Thanks!

That sounds gorgeous Sinnocence.

Damn all this food talk is making me drool :eek:

We're doing the traditional thing. I think my sister would murder us all in our sleep if we didn't.

Christmas evening: Ham, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, lime jello salad (it's actually really good), probably a bread of some sort, and then coconut cake for dessert. The cake is so rich you can only eat a very small slice at a time.

And you can't forget breakfast Christmas morning while opening presents: strawberry bread and maple walnut pound cake, and sometimes a bacon or sausage breakfast casserole.

I think I like breakfast more than dinner. :D

Sausage breakfast casserole sounds good. Whats in it?

Thai, frozen pizza, Chinese, or something completely non committed. Sushi sounds GREAT, wonder if anyone's open...

One of the best christmas lunches my mum and I had was a takeaway curry that we bought xmas even and heated in the microwave on Christmas day. It was soooo good not to be roasting things.

that sounds lovely. Do you have the recipe to share please?

I am all for non traditional and grazing!

By the time you reach 40...I reckon you're pretty much done with traditional lol

*laugh* I love that Noor :)

Just that your belly is going to burst lol

Can you divulge details of your husbands potato salad.....?

Thanks!

That sounds gorgeous Sinnocence.

Damn all this food talk is making me drool :eek:

lol Not my belly, I have four young adults and a husband whom I suspect has a tape worm! He can eat a whole large super supreme pan pizza and then go make himself some peanut butter sandwiches, cause he is not full yet. He is six feet tall and weighs about 150. Even in the military they could not get him to put on weight. They said he needed to put on thirty pounds and they would give him extra rations and weight supplements and it did not work. And NO he does not exercise at all...I run, he does not, I go to the gym, he literally sits and watches unless he goes out to smoke a cigarette or get a cup of coffee. I take small satisfaction in the fact that his waist has gone from thirty inches to thirty two inches in the last couple of years. *Hmph*

His secret is pickle juice as one of the ingredients in his tater salad...shhhhhh;)

I'm the only vegetarian in BDSM Talk, am I?

I already had Tofurky for Thanksgiving and only just finished the leftovers, so I don't want that again so soon. Family is going to make meat for themselves and a special vegetarian dish for me. I flipped through a vegetarian cookbook and settled on some tofu-and-peanut thing. I guess it's vaguely Asian but I don't care, that's what I want. So they're making it!

My wife makes KILLER mashed sweet potatoes with pecan topping OMG SO GOOD.

Um...I forget what else the meat-eaters make. I just like to make sure there is something vegetarian. :)

I'm the only vegetarian in BDSM Talk, am I?

I already had Tofurky for Thanksgiving and only just finished the leftovers, so I don't want that again so soon. Family is going to make meat for themselves and a special vegetarian dish for me. I flipped through a vegetarian cookbook and settled on some tofu-and-peanut thing. I guess it's vaguely Asian but I don't care, that's what I want. So they're making it!

My wife makes KILLER mashed sweet potatoes with pecan topping OMG SO GOOD.

Um...I forget what else the meat-eaters make. I just like to make sure there is something vegetarian. :)

Not me. I'm a proud member of PETA People who Eat Tasty Animals

The main dish will be lobster casserole. Various sides and such will accompany. Dessert will include a traditional English plum pudding, which I will make ahead so that it can soak in rum for a few days prior to the celebratory meal.

Weisswurst, sauerkraut, and potatoes.

Oooh, I like that idea.

But it will have to be a different day. Christmas is always ham, scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, and if I've been very good, jello salad. Apple or pumpkin pie (made with real pumpkin, not canned stuff) for dessert.

It's so funny you started this minxie, I was thinking of starting it about a week ago!

I even asked Jounar what his traditional Christmas dinner is.

The reason for my curiousity is that my mom and grandma had decided that insted of our tradtional dinner, they wanted to do sandwhiches. :( With all of the other family traditions being changed this year, I just couldn't deal with this one. So I talked them into it.

We always have a turkey and a ham. My mom hates ham, so she opts to make a turkey as well. I usually cook the ham. I make my own glaze out of honey, brown sugar, and spices.

We have to have mom's mac and cheese (kind of a home made velveta shells and cheese deal), corn, green beans, yams, and cressent rolls.

We usually have mashed potatoes, but this year they want my feta and chive mash.

I also throw in some special things every year, new things that I try. Last year it was stuffed squash (stuffed with a wild rice/ pecan/ dried fruit stuffing), and poached pears. The year before it was lemon almond asperagus. This year it's home made stuffing and lots of low carb desserts (found a cookie that is less than one carb a cookie)

What's the feta and chive mash? Sounds wonderful.

Mum's chemo got put back til next tuesday so it looks like I'll be cooking christmas dinner.

Roast Beef with all the trimmings, including yorkshire puddings and roast potatoes.

Dessert I have no idea yet, I'll sort something lol.

oh, I forgot the hawaiin rolls...can't have Christmas without those. They are GREAT for ham sandwiches.

what are hawaiian rolls?

In case some of you haven't come across it, epicurious.com is great recipe resource, and has different menu ideas for holidays:

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/holidays/christmas/christmas

Thanks ITW,I will definitely be checking it out.

Ordered my crafish and prawns today. Just need to figure out marinades or garlic/lemon butter recipes.

Or maybe I do alioli or tzasiki...mmm:confused:

Green Chile Cheese Dip

that sounds good. I might be a bit more adventurous and rustle up some home made dips this year.

We will have a lot of mouths to feed so Christmas dinner is a hangi.
http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/media/photo/the-hangi

Basically it is food cooked for several hours in a fire-pit on top of stones that have been super-heated up by fire. The food (chicken, lamb, pork, potatoes sweet potatoes, pumpkins etc) is put into metal baskets and wrapped in wet sheets and sacks. The pit is then covered with earth and left for a few hours while the whole lot steams until cooked.

When it is uncovered it is beautifully cooked with a slightly earthy smokey taste that permeates everything. We have this with lots of salads and then a huge desert to finish. Hopefully it will be nice and sunny so we can go swimming in the river later.

That sounds gorgeous Aquila!

Real easy.

I use red potatoes with the skins on, but basically it's mashed potatoes with feta cheese and chives added. :D

mmmm. nyom nyom nyom

sheesh, I am bloody starving now :D

For a dinner party with friends the night before Christmas Eve:

stuffed mushrooms
shrimp with horseradish aioli
olives, nuts, pickles

medium rare prime rib
creamed spinach
mashed potatoes enriched with caramelized onions, garlic, and cream cheese
sweet and spicy glazed carrots
yeast rolls
tea, wine, coffee

italian creme cake
chocolate torte

For Christmas Eve:
(entire family, each contributes a dish)

ham (my contribution)
potato salad
green beans (probably in yummy casserole form)
sweet potatoes
biscuits
coconut cake (my contribution)
pecan pies

For Christmas Day lunch, eaten at in-laws:

traditional Turkey and dressing with all the trimmings. No one is allowed to bring anything. Not even allowed to ask!

For Christmas Day supper, at my home with my brother and his family:

Chicken and dumplings
dressing
cranberry sauce
leftover desserts from previous meals
leftover anything from previous meals

I'm having curry.... Is that weird? :)

No way, it's good. We often drive around desperate for an Indian place to be open. Talk about comfort food.

There's also a deli here, run by Palestinians. This place is a gas - every Christmas it's filled with Muslims and Jews, chowing down together in blissful bypass of everything being closed. I'm angling to go there maybe. Falafel - that's vegetarian, all right!

Back