What I learned from publishing a Loving Wives story

Are you strictly American, any more?

If we average your geolocation data we'll probably find you somewhere out in the Atlantic somewhere :D
Look who’s talking. Your location puts you on a rock/in a lighthouse off the SW coast of England. 🤣

I'm getting my turn in the barrel. Posted up a LW story this morning. I'm going to exercise the delete comment option on every anonymous, idiotic comment. There are some criticisms of the story that are good calls on the part of the reader who posted them. And I'm leaving the comments of the readers who did not like the story, but at least are not anonymous.

The vile, anonymous comments, though? Hey, I guess we can hope those guys will turn 21 next year, and with it, will come some wisdom.

And they've had an impact. I had ten stories with the hot tag. Now there are 8. Too bad the little red tag is not what I am writing for. I don't mind having them, but they are not why I write.

But Holy Screaming cats on meth! The number of views is insane. The number of ratings is insane. And 48 comments, but soon to be a few less.
You nailed it. There are far too many Steves in this world

I'm getting my turn in the barrel. Posted up a LW story this morning. ...

But Holy Screaming cats on meth! The number of views is insane. The number of ratings is insane. And 48 comments, but soon to be a few less.
The number of views is the main reason for posting in LW. My latest story there is now at over 37K views in just 11 days. But as you've learned, the downside to those views is many will express their opinions of your story, and they'll look at some of your other stories, too. My latest story is rated at 2.97 with over 500 raters!

In LW, the stories which rate highest are those which Burn-The-Bitch/Bastard (BTB), with those enjoying extra-marital sex ending in divorce and burned. I read your story, and you might have thought the bastard was burned. But the wife was the one who cheated on her husband, and she lived happily ever after. You didn't give enough background on the husband and why he suddenly hated her for cheating. It was as if just this one event sent him off the deep end, with no build-up. He went from being a loving husband to hating his wife in minutes. So, it seemed rushed to make the point that he was extremely unforgiving, without giving enough context.

Many of those LW readers are "Monogamy-ONLY" fanatics. They hate stories where a spouse cheats, and they even hate those where the couple are consensual swingers. They HATE extra-marital sex of any kind and feel those who had such sex must be burned, with their marriage ending. In my latest, the wife enjoys sex with her old boyfriend, with the husband approving and joining in, which many of those readers hate! So, regardless of how you portray that husband, she had extra-marital sex, and in many of their minds, SHE was the one they feel deserved to burn.

The number of views is the main reason for posting in LW. My latest story there is now at over 37K views in just 11 days. But as you've learned, the downside to those views is many will express their opinions of your story, and they'll look at some of your other stories, too. My latest story is rated at 2.97 with over 500 raters!

In LW, the stories which rate highest are those which Burn-The-Bitch/Bastard (BTB), with those enjoying extra-marital sex ending in divorce and burned. I read your story, and you might have thought the bastard was burned. But the wife was the one who cheated on her husband, and she lived happily ever after. You didn't give enough background on the husband and why he suddenly hated her for cheating. It was as if just this one event sent him off the deep end, with no build-up. He went from being a loving husband to hating his wife in minutes. So, it seemed rushed to make the point that he was extremely unforgiving, without giving enough context.

Many of those LW readers are "Monogamy-ONLY" fanatics. They hate stories where a spouse cheats, and they even hate those where the couple are consensual swingers. They HATE extra-marital sex of any kind and feel those who had such sex must be burned, with their marriage ending. In my latest, the wife enjoys sex with her old boyfriend, with the husband approving and joining in, which many of those readers hate! So, regardless of how you portray that husband, she had extra-marital sex, and in many of their minds, SHE was the one they feel deserved to burn.
Good points, all. As I envisioned the story, he had never been a "loving" husband. I could have added another 5K words just on the status of their relationship. But a short story is the very poster-child of the word "compromise," what to leave in, what to cut. With no sex and only raw emotion, I figured it was best to keep the story moving, so decisions were made on what to cut and what to leave. But from the comments of yourself and others, a bit more exposition should have been included. Noted, thank you.

Good points, all. As I envisioned the story, he had never been a "loving" husband. I could have added another 5K words just on the status of their relationship. But a short story is the very poster-child of the word "compromise," what to leave in, what to cut. With no sex and only raw emotion, I figured it was best to keep the story moving, so decisions were made on what to cut and what to leave. But from the comments of yourself and others, a bit more exposition should have been included. Noted, thank you.
He didn't seem very loving, I think you got that across well. I was actually unsure what she was getting from the marriage, why she was so interested in trying to save it. He didn't seem to be worth trying to hold onto, to me. Things worked out for the best, I think!

Another thing I've noticed (my story just fell off the "new" list yesterday) is that due to the volume of LW stories submitted, stories fall off the radar pretty quickly. In my first four days or so, I was having views in the thousands to now on day 8, a couple hundred. Still, it's been well received and I'm very happy I did it. It's got a 4.33 rating from 540 votes, which, in this category, I'll take any day.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled cricket and mermaids.

To gordo12:

Your lack of quality in relation to this matter is quite striking. I’m well aware of the many stories in Loving Wives which don’t match the category description. That’s my point and my complaint. Thanks for pointing out this obvious fact. I couldn’t care less about Todd172, your stories, or how long you have posted in Loving Wives.

Your argument that cheating stories are perfectly welcome because the category description includes the wording “& more” is weak sauce. Again, the category description is this: ‘Married extra-marital fun: swinging, sharing & more.’ Note the use and inclusion of the colon in this category description. The conclusion is obvious: the “& more” are stories which feature married extra-marital fun themes, besides swinging and sharing. How can stories featuring cheating, painful separations and divorce, revenge, BTB, violence, adversity, and survival be characterized as married extra-marital FUN? Clearly, they can’t be. Your “argument” here is weak sauce. It’s fucking ridiculous.

But which way do you want it: on the one hand you state this: ‘I can tell you it's become a catchall for a lot of stories that DON"T fit the description,’ but on the other hand you state this: ‘And the inclusion of the word MORE at the end makes cheating stories perfectly welcome…’ You’re not really making much sense here - if you respect the category description and try to justify the inclusion of stories by reference to the category description then cheating and BTB shouldn’t be included at all. If Loving Wives is a catchall for a lot of stories that don’t fit the category description, then how can they be called Loving Wives stories in the first place?

The problem is twofold in my view: 1. the category has grown beyond its legitimate boundaries and essential meaning and the owners of this website won’t amend the category or break into pieces for whatever reason. 2. An outspoken and active group of people in Loving Wives with an agenda have been pushing the boundaries and trying to undermine the essential meaning of the category to further their agenda.

If you enjoy white knighting for those BTB clowns, then do so. I wouldn’t wish to deny you the opportunity to indulge in that which pleases you, but don’t try and be disingenuous with me because you yourself have an agenda. Your mission: save those whiny little monogamous bitches, gordo. Bring them justice, gordo. You be one of the leaders, one of their healers in that cry baby, men’s support group, which is your Loving Wives.
Tell us you’re a pompous gasbag without telling us you’re a pompous gasbag.

Back