What happened to all of the doom and gloom economic threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The UD recovery is well underway.:D

Let's review.

With the Dow climbing near 10,000 again what's happened to all of the dire, end of the world ravings of our resident "conservative" economists?

Where is all of this inflation we were warned about? According to reports the Consumer Price Index is down 1.5% overall from last year. Despite Augusts increase in prices, gasoline is still down 30% from the high a year ago.

Despite the dire warnings of some of Lit's resident math wizards the Chinese are still very much interested in buying US Treasury securities.

I guess the sky isn't falling after all. :cool:

That's the OP. The Dow was 9000-something and you guys bitched. Now the Dow is over 12,000 even with the recent dip. And you still bitch.

The Dow could reach 15k and you'd just bitch more and make posts about every little dip along the way there, just as you have for nearly two years on this thread. The best part is when the Dow is rising, the conservative line here is "ZOMG the Dow isn't a good indicator and doesn't matter". But as soon as a dip happens there's this flip-flop where it becomes this harbinger of economic demise....

Our soldiers thank you for your opinion of them.

soldiers are doing a duty and need more support
cops - are ego nut jobbers

those that are government leaders and managers - incompetent tools - as with obama - why hasn't obama ever had a job?

Yeah and it's a flat-out lie. And you repeated the lie.

and now you want the government to destory health care like they have:

USPS
freddy
fanny
medicare
social security
this dept
that dept

government fuc& everything up. why can't you see that?

we must end OBAMA CARE - its a sickness

soldiers are doing a duty and need more support
cops - are ego nut jobbers

those that are government leaders and managers - incompetent tools - as with obama - why hasn't obama ever had a job?

No they aren't. Cops are equal to or more important than the military. Particularly since you could always use your cops as a military if you needed to.

USPS
freddy
fanny
medicare
social security
this dept
that dept

Nope.com. Will you please stop saying such stupid things?

USPS
freddy
fanny
medicare
social security
this dept
that dept

Bye boring Jen until you make another alt. Have fun wallowing in the putrescence of your own self-made ignorance and tragic misconceptions. And I don't even have Busybody on iggy.

JenAltArmy
This message is hidden because JenAltArmy is on your ignore list.

I invite the rest of you who haven't already done so to join me. :)

Let's review.

That's the OP. The Dow was 9000-something and you guys bitched. Now the Dow is over 12,000 even with the recent dip. And you still bitch.

The Dow could reach 15k and you'd just bitch more and make posts about every little dip along the way there, just as you have for nearly two years on this thread. The best part is when the Dow is rising, the conservative line here is "ZOMG the Dow isn't a good indicator and doesn't matter". But as soon as a dip happens there's this flip-flop where it becomes this harbinger of economic demise....

UD, did you forget to change your shirt!

UD, did you forget to change your shirt!

(yes, because I quoted UD I must be his alt)

You bitched when the Dow it 9000, saying it should be 10,000.

Then you bitched when the Dow was 10,000, saying it should be 11,000.

Then you bitched when the Dow was 11,000, saying it should be 12,000

Now you're bitching that the Dow is only 12,000.

(yes, because I quoted UD I must be his alt)

You bitched when the Dow it 9000, saying it should be 10,000.

Then you bitched when the Dow was 10,000, saying it should be 11,000.

Then you bitched when the Dow was 11,000, saying it should be 12,000

Now you're bitching that the Dow is only 12,000.

Find the post where I bitched that.

With the 1/6 of the economy comment I was explaining to you that it was things like healthcare they have been arguing about towards growing the government.

Yeah and it's a flat-out lie. And you repeated the lie.

How is that a lie when it's pointing out one of the main things the repubs have been eluding to when they are pitching their fit about growing the government. I'm not saying that it's true or not whether the bill takes over the health care system or not. If you have read the bill, or any bill and have seen the massive amount of lawyer double speak they put into them and also realize that almost every government program ever put into place, costs much more than they originally claimed. You and no one else can definitively say what a bill that is full of so much lawyer double speak that the writers of the bill admit to not understanding it fully, is going to cost. I was pointing out that your comment that they are griping about cia, fbi, homeland security etc. adding people, is not what the majority of them are referring to.

You also relate any gripe towards growing the government as strictly complaining about the number of people they are hiring. You are to put it simply, wrong. When most people bitch about the size of the government they are referring to how much the government controls in our lives here in America. Every new piece of legislation takes a little bit more control away from the individual, when it pertains to their own lives.

Another Obama Adviser Jumps Ship

Amid rumors of ongoing disputes between more Leftie-Loonie-Leaning Big Government advocates, Austan Goolsbee makes an abrupt departure from the Obama White House.

Austan Goolsbee, just 9 months into his position as Chair of President Obama’s Council on Economic Advisers, gave notice this past week that he is resigning from the Obama administration. Goolsbee’s official reason for his departure was to allow him to return to his teaching position at the University of Chicago. Insider reports though are suggesting that Goolsbee was increasingly at odds with the more numerous and left-leaning economic advisers within the Obama White House who wanted even further increases in government spending as a means of stimulating the American economy. Goolsbee’s own private sector growth approach was met with far less enthusiasm by the Obama inner circle – namely senior adviser Valerie Jarrett.

Goolsbee’s absence will mark an ongoing string of Obama officials having left the administration. Lawrence Summers, Peter Orszag, Jared Bernstein, and Christina Romer have all left the president’s economics team within the past year. Now only former Federal Reserve member Timothy Geithner remains from that original group.

Given the exploding deficit, still high unemployment, and overall anemic economic growth, perhaps it is not enough for various Obama advisers to be resigning – with any luck the whole crew will bail out in 2012 - starting with the Chief Golfer.

With the 1/6 of the economy comment I was explaining to you that it was things like healthcare they have been arguing about towards growing the government.

The private health insurance industry is getting about 35 million customers because of health care reform. I guess I don't understand why this is counts as a government takeover.

You also relate any gripe towards growing the government as strictly complaining about the number of people they are hiring. You are to put it simply, wrong. When most people bitch about the size of the government they are referring to how much the government controls in our lives here in America. Every new piece of legislation takes a little bit more control away from the individual, when it pertains to their own lives.

I agree that the government is too big. It says I can't marry who I want and legislates morality.

Lost Your Job? NO WORK ANYWHERE? Obama Doesn't Care!

President Obama has cancelled White House briefings on the economy. Perhaps they were getting in the way of his tee time?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/readers/2011/06/07/obamabidengolf_1.jpg

As originally reported in The Hill, it has been confirmed that President Barack Obama has stopped the daily economic briefings he repeatedly promised voters in 2009 he would be having. Those briefings were to be a signal to the nation of just how focused (like a laser!) the president was on improving the American economy and its deep and persistent unemployment rate.

The Obama White House is already attempting to place considerable spin on the news that those oft-promised daily economic briefings have been removed from the president’s schedule, indicating he still gets “regular” updates from that economics powerhouse known as Vice President Joe Biden.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/readers/2011/06/07/obamabidenonmidwestbustour_1.jpg

Ah yes, the same Joe Biden who promised a half million jobs created every month. That promise was made over a year ago, while unemployment most recently went up again to over 9%. Wonder if Biden has informed President Obama of that fact while driving around in the POTUS golf cart?

Barack Obama has now found time to play 71 rounds of golf since being elected president.... and counting.

Are we really gonna play the Obama v. Bush vacation game, MeeMie? You seem to forget you always lose that one.

Are we really gonna play the Obama v. Bush vacation game, MeeMie? You seem to forget you always lose that one.

clearly, obama will go down in history as one of the worst prez ever.

only those who want more welfare think obama is going a good job

The private health insurance industry is getting about 35 million customers because of health care reform. I guess I don't understand why this is counts as a government takeover.

I agree that the government is too big. It says I can't marry who I want and legislates morality.

then you agree, that obama must terminate 1/3 of all government workers

Bye boring Jen until you make another alt. Have fun wallowing in the putrescence of your own self-made ignorance and tragic misconceptions. And I don't even have Busybody on iggy.

omg, here is a dollar buy a clue.

every time government takes control of an enterprise the costs go up and the consumer pays more.

Seriously?

That's you loonies' bag... and, yes, it is a losing game, for you and yours:

The classic loonie debate:

• loonie gang bang
• fault the source
• point finger elsewhere
• namecalling
• insult integrity and intelligence
• answer a question with another question
• refuses to read info stating already knows what's in it
• BLAME BUSH!

It's a pattern easily recognizable, used in varying degrees, simultaneously and/or one jab at a time

Seriously?

That's you loonies' bag... and, yes, it is a losing game, for you and yours:

The classic loonie debate:

• loonie gang bang
• fault the source
• point finger elsewhere
• namecalling
• insult integrity and intelligence
• answer a question with another question
• refuses to read info stating already knows what's in it
• BLAME BUSH!

It's a pattern easily recognizable, used in varying degrees, simultaneously and/or one jab at a time

Prove it. The Obama vs. Bush vacation lineup. Stop the bullshit and just prove it.

We all know what the result is going to be and you know what the result is gonna be, but we wanna see you do it.

Meanwhile ...

The United States of American has record $61.6 TRILLION in unfunded obligations; $534,000 per household.

The federal government's financial condition deteriorated rapidly last year, far beyond the $1.5 trillion in new debt taken on to finance the budget deficit. The U.S. funding for future promises lags by trillions.

The government added $5.3 trillion in new financial obligations in 2010, largely for retirement programs such as Medicare and Social Security. That brings to a record $61.6 trillion the total of financial promises not paid for.

This gap between spending commitments and revenue last year equals more than one-third of the nation's gross domestic product.

Medicare alone took on $1.8 trillion in new liabilities, more than the record deficit prompting heated debate between Congress and the White House over lifting the debt ceiling.

Social Security added $1.4 trillion in obligations, partly reflecting longer life expectancies. Federal and military retirement programs added more to the financial hole, too.

Corporations would be required to count these new liabilities when they are taken on — and report a big loss to shareholders. Unlike businesses, however, Congress postpones recording spending commitments until it writes a check.

The $61.6 trillion in unfunded obligations amounts to $527,000 per household.

That's more than five times what Americans have borrowed for everything else — mortgages, car loans and other debt. It reflects the challenge as the number of retirees soars over the next 20 years and seniors try to collect on those spending promises.

The government has promised pension and health benefits worth more than $700,000 per retired federal civil servant. The pension fund's key asset: federal IOUs.

What is the Dems plan to address Social Security and Medicare entitlements?

Other than MediScare tactics, that is?

I mean, other than confiscating private IRA funds.

Let's review.

Because we know the DOW was inflate by the Fed; it's still due about an 8% correction, my financial advisor, one smart gal, and I are on the same page on that one. She's not leaning as strongly to a double-dip as I am, but she's reading numbers and I'm reading history, even though the historical school of economics died between the wars. Too bad Obama doesn't speak Austrian as he once proudly proclaimed on one of his apology tours...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back