Paul Krugman: "In Defense of Obama"

Vetty wipes his ass with his Sacred Marine Corps Honor

Yet many are forced to come here to receive high end treatment they can't get in Canada.

Another day, another lie. So sadly typical for Vietnam-era Marines....lying is what they do.

Myth: Canadians are flocking to the United States to get medical care.

How many times have you heard that Canadians, frustrated by long wait times and rationing where they live, come to the United States for medical care?

I don’t deny that some well-off people might come to the United States for medical care. If I needed a heart or lung transplant, there’s no place I’d rather have it done. But for the vast, vast majority of people, that’s not happening.

The most comprehensive study I’ve seen on this topic — it employed three different methodologies, all with solid rationales behind them — was published in the peer-reviewed journal Health Affairs.
How Many Canadians Use the U.S. Health System?
  • Do not come to the US for care: 99.39%
  • Come to US for care electively: 0.5%
  • Use the US for emergency care: 0.11%

Source: “Phantoms in the Snow: Canadians’ Use of Health Care Services in the United States,” Health Affairs, May 2002.

The authors of the study started by surveying 136 ambulatory care facilities near the U.S.-Canada border in Michigan, New York and Washington. It makes sense that Canadians crossing the border for care would favor places close by, right? It turns out, however, that about 80 percent of such facilities saw, on average, fewer than one Canadian per month; about 40 percent had seen none in the preceding year.

Then, the researchers looked at how many Canadians were discharged over a five-year period from acute-care hospitals in the same three states. They found that more than 80 percent of these hospital visits were for emergency or urgent care (that is, tourists who had to go to the emergency room). Only about 20 percent of the visits were for elective procedures or care.

Next, the authors of the study surveyed America’s 20 “best” hospitals — as identified by U.S. News & World Report — on the assumption that if Canadians were going to travel for health care, they would be more likely to go to the best-known and highest-quality facilities. Only one of the 11 hospitals that responded saw more than 60 Canadians in a year. And, again, that included both emergencies and elective care.

Finally, the study’s authors examined data from the 18,000 Canadians who participated in the National Population Health Survey. In the previous year, 90 of those 18,000 Canadians had received care in the United States; only 20 of them, however, reported going to the United States expressively for the purpose of obtaining care.

20 out of 18,000.

LINK

bob don't like de truth ... bobby has got him some msnbc saying otherwise

Another day, another lie. So sadly typical for Vietnam-era Marines....lying is what they do.

How many times have you heard that Canadians, frustrated by long wait times and rationing where they live, come to the United States for medical care?

I don’t deny that some well-off people might come to the United States for medical care. If I needed a heart or lung transplant, there’s no place I’d rather have it done. But for the vast, vast majority of people, that’s not happening.

The most comprehensive study I’ve seen on this topic — it employed three different methodologies, all with solid rationales behind them — was published in the peer-reviewed journal Health Affairs.

Source: “Phantoms in the Snow: Canadians’ Use of Health Care Services in the United States,” Health Affairs, May 2002.

The authors of the study started by surveying 136 ambulatory care facilities near the U.S.-Canada border in Michigan, New York and Washington. It makes sense that Canadians crossing the border for care would favor places close by, right? It turns out, however, that about 80 percent of such facilities saw, on average, fewer than one Canadian per month; about 40 percent had seen none in the preceding year.

Then, the researchers looked at how many Canadians were discharged over a five-year period from acute-care hospitals in the same three states. They found that more than 80 percent of these hospital visits were for emergency or urgent care (that is, tourists who had to go to the emergency room). Only about 20 percent of the visits were for elective procedures or care.

Next, the authors of the study surveyed America’s 20 “best” hospitals — as identified by U.S. News & World Report — on the assumption that if Canadians were going to travel for health care, they would be more likely to go to the best-known and highest-quality facilities. Only one of the 11 hospitals that responded saw more than 60 Canadians in a year. And, again, that included both emergencies and elective care.

Finally, the study’s authors examined data from the 18,000 Canadians who participated in the National Population Health Survey. In the previous year, 90 of those 18,000 Canadians had received care in the United States; only 20 of them, however, reported going to the United States expressively for the purpose of obtaining care.

20 out of 18,000.

LINK

Health care costs....and related premiums...have seen double digit increases each year since at least the year 2000. It's become very fashionable in conserative parlors to blame every single increase on Obamacare

The simple fact is, the vast majority of Americans have seen very little change in their healthcare. Small business owners have seen a rise. Private policy owners over age 50 have seen a rise. People like Julybaby04 who had the illusion of health insurance via now-outlawed draconian mcMinimum policies have seen their cost rise as they are now forced to provide real insurance for their family.

and obama wants to hide the good news about about obama are till after the elections. why? obama care is a turd. no how you wrap it in pretty paper, its still a turd

you are a fucking idiot ... health care costs have GONE UP jackass

turn off that MSNBC and stop smoking the obama ass juice

You spend more time here than I do.

I write most of my own material. In doing so I demonstrate literacy, erudition, and civility that is far beyond your ability level.

Your parents should take away your PC privileges, and pressure you to study for the GED. They won't be around forever to support you. Isn't your fortieth birthday coming up? Or is that your fiftieth birthday?

oh bumpkin .... there are those of us that go out into the real world. we create and add value where you and your kind are cowards and hide, consume the value WE create in your never ending demands for welfare

welfare is a sin, and a mental disorder

you, need to man up, set up to the pony and get a real job!

Blacks have a rate of violent crime that is over seven times the white rate. Until one has been the victim of several black criminals one may know that, but one is unlikely to feel it.

I used not to feel it. I used to pride myself for walking in black neighborhoods after dark just to prove how tolerant I was. :D

I had to stop doing that after I nearly got murdered. :eek:

Uh huh. Right anyway, table 43 here clearly says white people cause waaaaay more crime than black people.

I tried to look up your "over seven times" bullshit number and got a bunch of links to racist websites. Good job pulling shit directly out of your ass.

Also I find your nearly got murdered story full of shit.

oh bumpkin .... there are those of us that go out into the real world. we create and add value where you and your kind are cowards and hide, consume the value WE create in your never ending demands for welfare

welfare is a sin, and a mental disorder

you, need to man up, set up to the pony and get a real job!

bwahahaha... please tell me you were laughing hysterically as you wrote that.

20 out of 18,000.

LINK

tumblr_m9wofiCO961qa6g1m.gif

Uh huh. Right anyway, table 43 here clearly says white people cause waaaaay more crime than black people.

I tried to look up your "over seven times" bullshit number and got a bunch of links to racist websites. Good job pulling shit directly out of your ass.

Here are the FBI statistics for violent crime in 2011. http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-43

As you can see, there was more violent crime committed by white people than black but, if you consider the difference in population, black people are about four times more violent. Black people actually commit a majority of the murders.

I have occasionally walked in mostly black parts of Oakland. I was never murdered but I was assaulted a couple of times for the "crime" of being white.

Last edited:
Homicide Trends in the United States, 1980-2008

U.S. Department of Justice
Office of Justice Programs
Bureau of Justice Statistics

In 2008, the offending rate for blacks (24.7 offenders per
100,000) was 7 times higher than the rate for whites
http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htus8008.pdf

oh [sic] bumpkin .... there are those of us that go out into the real world. we [sic] create and add value where you and your kind are cowards and hide, consume the value WE create in your never ending demands for welfare [sic]

welfare [sic] is a sin, and a mental disorder [sic]

you [sic], need to man up, set up to the pony and get a real job!

I have a university degree, specialized training, and twenty years of experience as a computer programmer. I have never been on welfare.

How much education have you had? What have you ever done for a living? Why do you write like a high school dropout?

Last edited:
I have occasionally walked in mostly black parts of Oakland. I was never murdered but I was assaulted a couple of times for the "crime" of being white.

I have been robbed at gunpoint and mugged. I have friends and relatives who have been robbed. Every single time blacks did it.

The United States would be a better country without blacks. The crime rate would go way down. Blacks would be lost without us whites. They have never been able to create a viable society. They have never been able to maintain one when it was given to them. Look at the mess they have made of Haiti. Look at the mess they are making of Zimbabwe.

I have a university degree, specialized training, and twenty years of experience as a computer programmer. I have never been on welfare.

How much education have you had? What have you ever done for a living? Why do you write like a high school dropout?

Dude, I write at your 'level'

have you ever worked at a high tech company? I think not, you are a government asshat aka lazy and unfit to work in the private sector

move to Canada you piece of shit

we need to take America back from your kind...we need workers, leaders and no more of your kind (lazy, welfare consumers)

20 out of 18,000.

LINK

move to Canada you piece of shit

we need to take America back from your kind...we need workers, leaders and no more of your kind (lazy, welfare consumers)

Talking to the guy that actually HAS a job?

Until you get off YOUR fat ass and get to work, yer the biggest (figuratively AND literally) hypocrite here.

*insert more of your monumental stupidity here jerry

Talking to the guy that actually HAS a job?

Until you get off YOUR fat ass and get to work, yer the biggest (figuratively AND literally) hypocrite here.

*insert more of your monumental stupidity here jerry

some day, I hope you take off the panties and become a real man. a man that can stand on his own

some day, I hope you take off the panties and become a real man. a man that can stand on his own

I'm much more of a man than you'll ever be.. That's for sure.

You had the opportunity to prove me wrong.. But failed miserably once again.

Your views on what unions are and how they work are way off base. Union or not, if we can't or won't do our job.. They don't keep paying us. Dummy

Dude, I write at your 'level' [sic]

have [sic] you ever worked at a high tech company? I think not, you are a government asshat aka lazy and unfit to work in the private sector [sic]

Yes I have. I have never worked for the government, although I scored in the upper five percent of the civil service exam. Civil service is an honorable calling.

Again I ask: What have you ever done for a living? How much education do you have?

You are really preposterous. You come here nearly every day articulating the values of John Galt. Nevertheless, your comments indicate that you have little education and no knowledge of much of anything. All you have are strong feelings.

Anyone on an internet forum can claim any number of achievements and distinctions. Most of us remember how Karen Kraft claimed for years to be a beautiful, pencil thin heiress, and how he turned out to be a fat middle aged man.

At least Karen Kraft could compose articulate comments. You can't do that. You are only capable of a few poorly written sentences expressing childish attitudes.

Last edited:
I guess Rob is tending to his butt hurt.

I was responding to your cut and paste in the other thread, but then I realized that as a Vietnam-era Marine, you shy away from face-to-face confrontation so I figured I'd find you skulking around in here. I was right.

Anyway, from the ass-kicking I delivered unto you in the other thread

Robdownsouth said:
In your link, it specifically says that the provinces of Quebec and Alberta were excluded from the survey. That's 43% of the Canadian population right there. Mighty fine survey you've linked to.

In any event, we both agree that somewhere between one tenth of one percent (me) and one percent (you) of the Canadian population seeks medical care here in the good ole USA.

Where we disagree is whether or not this miniscule number is to be considered worthy of shitting ones pants over.

I don't think it is.

I guess Vette is tending to his butt hole.

Oooops! I mean, butt hurt.

On second thought, nah...got it right the first time!

tumblr_lxpj6grFIe1qcaomb.gif

Back