Fitness ideas for a middle aged man?

I agree with whatever everyone else has said. You’ll find out what works best for you.

I’ve always struggled with weight, so always have to work hard at keeping it off.

Like you, I work a desk job which does not help. Therefore I do a 60 minute workout on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I typically do 30 minutes of elliptical, 20 minutes on a spinning bike, and 10 minutes on a rowing machine. I mix these around quite a bit.

New equipment is expensive, and I found good used equipment on Facebook marketplace and craigslist.

When I’m really behaving myself, I will do a yoga routine (yoga with Adrienne on YouTube) on Tuesdays and one day over the weekend.

The other thing I did was get a Fitbit which tracks steps. Make sure I get 10,000 steps just about every day.

This works for me, but you will find what works for you. Congratulations on starting the journey!
Sounds like sound advice. I have already started on watching what I am on vacation for the next few days and have delayed the start of any real structured exercise until I return and can get into a routine.

For fitness, how about starting with some light cardio like walking or jogging? It's great for the heart and overall health. Also, consider adding in some strength training to build muscle and improve metabolism. Don't forget flexibility exercises like yoga or stretching to keep you limber. And of course, always check with a doctor before starting any new exercise routine. By the way, if you're looking for health tips or supplements, you might find some useful info on Canadian Pharmacy site.

Last edited:
If you pay a gym membership that tends to be a motivator to go regularly, once you have paid might as well get the benefit from it.

I’m a mid 50’s straight male that checks in at 6’0” and weighs 240 lbs. I have let life control me instead of my controlling life and a decision has been made that it is time to make several changes. The first being the need to loose about 20-30 lbs. My business has me sitting behind a desk for most of the day and my lack of exercise has caused the proverbial spare tire in the mid section. My question for any of the fitness minded people out there is what are some of the most effective exercises that I can implement to get myself back on track in a 30 minute or so window first thing in the AM.
Pickleball

I am also in my 50s, have a mostly desk job. I dropped a quick 5-10 pounds by just cutting out soda! I also got a stand up desk set up so I can stand while at the computer, making small modifications helped me without even working out.

I’m 59 y/o, I swim and bicycle 5 days a week. I usually swim 1500 yards and ride 12-18 miles on my bike. To stay in shape I have to be very careful with my food intake, very low carb and limit my calories to about 1800 a day. I’m 6’5” and weigh about 220lbs.

Yes, diet is as important as exercise for middle aged and older men.
There's no such thing as an age when you must stop exercising.
Even walking for 30 minutes every other day is good.

Fuck something daily instead of using your hand. If your dick is not up for it, then keep it zipped and do just the pelvic motion.

I too an 6 ft but I am 260. Just started with walks and light weighst at the gym. So far so good with weightwatchers but the toughest part fo me is alcohol. No I am not an alcoholic but I do like me beer and wine

I too an 6 ft but I am 260. Just started with walks and light weighst at the gym. So far so good with weightwatchers but the toughest part fo me is alcohol. No I am not an alcoholic but I do like me beer and wine
Intermittent fasting knocks the weight back without giving up the things you like even if you only do a 14/10 ratio of fast to eating.

Weight or resistance training, portion control and some cardio ( I prefer hitting the heavy bag to running) I’m 54 and played 60 minutes of rugby today with my 23 year old sons team so we could play together. Younger son comes home soon from college and all three of us are playing in a match this summer. Good luck! You can do it.

I’m a mid 50’s straight male that checks in at 6’0” and weighs 240 lbs. I have let life control me instead of my controlling life and a decision has been made that it is time to make several changes. The first being the need to loose about 20-30 lbs. My business has me sitting behind a desk for most of the day and my lack of exercise has caused the proverbial spare tire in the mid section. My question for any of the fitness minded people out there is what are some of the most effective exercises that I can implement to get myself back on track in a 30 minute or so window first thing in the AM.
The best exercise is the one that you enjoy enough to do consistently.

Try different things. My answer won’t be your answer. Just try different active things, until you find one that you look forward to doing again and again.

I am also in my 50s, have a mostly desk job. I dropped a quick 5-10 pounds by just cutting out soda! I also got a stand up desk set up so I can stand while at the computer, making small modifications helped me without even working out.

I have cut out all soda and sweet tea and work out most days at least 30 minutes. I have managed to drop about 12 pounds so far

I hear ya! I have only had 1 beer in the last two weeks. I work out doing regular exercises about 15 minutes and then walk and jog on a treadmill for about 30 minutes. I also have been more aware of the calories that are in the foods that I eat and even the portions that I consume. I have dropped about 12 pounds over the last month.

Surprised I'm the only one suggesting this but CrossFit worked wonders for me. Started at 61 years, now 66, 5x per week. Amazing changes.

Surprised I'm the only one suggesting this but CrossFit worked wonders for me. Started at 61 years, now 66, 5x per week. Amazing changes.
CrossFit is great, till one does a move wrong and gets an injury. I know someone that still has back issues, after a back surgery from a CrossFit injury.

Thanks, I have already started working on my food intake.
That's great.

I'm in your age range. A little over a year ago I found myself the heaviest I've ever been in my life. Went for my yearly physical. My blood pressure was high. Doc wanted to prescribe me meds.
I told him I'd prefer to treat the cause (I'm fat) over the symptoms (high blood pressure) and to give me an opportunity.
I asked him to refer me to a dietician.

When I was a kid, fat was the bogeyman. Now it would seem sugar is the bogeyman.

I started watching carbs. I didn't eliminate them (keto), but just started realizing I don't need soda every day or a whole bag of oreos.

I had been listening already to a podcast - Jimmy Akin's Mysterious World - and he had one called "The Mystery of Weight Loss". He was once a BIG dude. Now he's a skinny guy.
For him what it boiled down to was calories.

Around the same time frame I met a woman that is a diabetic. She makes a batch of cookies every Sunday and eats two a night.

So changes I made:
1) Eliminated one meal. I was already a 'late' breakfast eater. Jimmy Akin's eats one meal a day. He got there by every couple of days, delaying the first meal by an hour. Your body gets used to "I'm not eating til X" and learns not to tell you your hungry at 8am. So now I don't eat before noon. I still eat lunch and dinner.
2) Eat better carbs. I used to eat whole wheat bread. Healthy, right? Well now I eat a bread with more protein in it. I'm not full keto or anything. Just the bread I use for lunch sandwiches either has a little less carbs (due to the protein) or more fiber (which "offsets" carbs). I used to drink 1 soda a day. Now it'll be a treat - maybe once a week.
3) Eat only two cookies. If I sat down at night with a container of Oreos, I'd eat them until I was full. Now I limit myself to 2. Knowing I'm only going to have 2 is surprisingly enough. I know that's all I'm going to eat so appreciate them and don't eat more.

I didn't lose weight as quickly as one would on keto. But at my next physical (1 year later), I had gone down 37 lbs. And had good blood pressure.

And none of that was 'extreme' on my part. I wasn't counting calories or carbs. Just making minor changes to my food habits.

Good luck!

Go visit a couple of gyms and while you're there ask to speak with a trainer and ask them your questions. They'll probably have a bunch of suggestions and possibly even show you a couple of exercises while you're there.

I'm M 68 bad back and 2 replaced knees I got into Aquarobics at the Y in the deep end of the pool with a aquajogger belt puts traction on my back, no impact and its helping me the workout can be as easy or hard as you want using the water for resistance.

Hi. I am living proof that a lifetime involved in sports does not make one immune from putting on weight.
Sitting in front of a screen is the ultimate sedentary lifestyle. It's also easy to fix if you take regular screen breaks and go for a walk round the block every two hours.
You don't say if you have played any sports or not. I played racquet sports and soccer at a competitive level and now enjoy playing pickleball two or three times a week. With an underarm serve it's so easy to learn, it's loads of fun and you will quickly make friends whatever level you play at. The fun and the social buzz will keep you coming back for more, but try not to drink too many beers after playing or the weight loss aims will go out the window!
I coached for 30 years so please feel free to ping me a message if you would like some more specific advice.
Good luck on your journey!

I use the gym 3 days a week. Problems my old body just feels sore from it but ive stayed with it. Mid 60's and not really seeing any results yet but i know its good me. Problem i pull a muscle .So im going easy but still going. I'm active so i dont want to spend my day exercising. Need to get more stretching time in. So stiff sometimes. But im sticking to it and hopefully it pays off.

Keep working at it. For the past month I have working out 5 to 6 days a week about an hour a day and I am down around 15 pounds. I also watch what food I eat as well as how much food I eat. It is a long journey but worth it in the end. It is so much easier to pack the pounds on than take them off.

Keep working at it. For the past month I have working out 5 to 6 days a week about an hour a day and I am down around 15 pounds. I also watch what food I eat as well as how much food I eat. It is a long journey but worth it in the end. It is so much easier to pack the pounds on than take them off.
That’s great work and shows a serious commitment on your part. One of the feelings of making that kind of progress is noticing how your clothes begin to fit better … or even begin to feel too big, which creates a whole new issue, but a good one.

Keep going!

Give these exercises a shot:
1. Blast fat with high-intensity interval training (HIIT).
2. Build strength with bodyweight exercises like squats, push-ups, and lunges.
3. Get your heart pumping with jumping jacks or skipping rope for cardio.
4. Strengthen your core with planks.

Back