What are you reading at the moment?

Louise Ehrdrich, The Sentence, and re-reading portions of Richard Dawkins' The Ancestor's Tale. If you enjoy books about evolution I strongly recommend the latter.

Just finished Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir, currently reading The Dark Forest by Liu Cixin and graphic novel #4 of Saga by Brian Vaughan.
I enjoyed Project Hail Mary. It was a bit contrived (we'll, it would have to be, wouldn't it?) and wasn't quite as good as Weir's earlier work, but Rocky was certainly one of the most engaging characters I've read in a long time. And I really loved the response to "Are all Russians crazy?".

Michael Connelly's Concrete Blonde

and

Jason Webster's A Body in Barcelona

DH Lawrence, Lady Chatterley's Lover. I had no idea it was a critique on the boorish attitude of society in the 1920's. I'm not sure I have the patience to get to Mellors given the toxic bourgeois misogyny the reader has to wade through first.

Ryka Aoki's "The Light From Uncommon Stars": this felt a little bit uneven in patches, but I enjoyed it, in particular the descriptions of violin repair which were sexier than the sex scenes.

Aliette de Bodard's "The Red Scholar's Wake": lesbian space pirate romance where a scavenger who's been captured by pirates agrees to an arranged marriage with their recently-widowed spaceship. There were a few things I thought could've been handled better - the romance is maybe a bit hurried, and there's a scene where our heroes appear to have been betrayed and they never show any curiosity about how that happened even though investigating similar betrayals is a major part of the story. But lots of lovely visuals and an interesting setting.

I bought every volume of this low quality airport novel I once fancied "They call me the Mercenary" and started from the first volume since I never saw this one... my uncle only had volumes 2,3,5 and 6. So I am reading that and mildly laughing at the fact that the badass one-eyed mercenary has a degree in english literature and was a teacher for a while...

...until a couple of bigger students did some fuckery, pulled a knife on him and he broke one guy's arm and smashed his windpipe.

Lindsey Dave, The Grove of the Caesars
and
Michael Pearce, The Mouth of the Crocodile

Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and to my son I Don't Want to Go to Sleep, which is starting to be a real thing with him.

Back