What/who are the authors reading?

GreenandGolden

Experienced
Favourite Authors/Stories at the moment?

I’m curious to find out what authors themselves are into?

Any categories, short stories or multi-part.

Just read Roadside Picnic from 1972 by the Strugatsky brothers, later made into the 1979 Tarkovsky film Stalker, which is available to buy on Amazon.

Also re-reading Dune for the nth time, having recently watched the new film, and dipping into Sheri S. Tepper's Raising the Stones from time to time.

Just read Roadside Picnic from 1972 by the Strugatsky brothers, later made into the 1979 Tarkovsky film Stalker, which is available to buy on Amazon.

Also re-reading Dune for the nth time, having recently watched the new film, and dipping into Sheri S. Tepper's Raising the Stones from time to time.
Ooooh I just watched the film couple of days ago too! Never read the book and now feel like I need to. Is it a difficult read?

Right this second? I'm reading the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th edition rules, because I'm running a game this Saturday. Duzzat count? It's good to be playing again after two years of covid keeping us from meeting up.

Other than that, re-reading my copy of the Rubiyat.

That’s awesome! I’ve never played but would love to give it a go, not sure how I’d even start finding a group near me though?

That’s awesome! I’ve never played but would love to give it a go, not sure how I’d even start finding a group near me though?
I've been playing with these yahoos for over 20 years, and I've been an RPG'er since the mid-70's. We started this Warhammer game back in 2019, but we stopped in March 2020 because of covid. A few of us have immuno-compromised family members, and we agreed to not risk it. Yes, we COULD have played over the internet with something like RollD20 or whatever, but we all are greybeards, we like getting together, drinking beer and playing face-to-face, acting like 12 year-olds.

In terms of finding a gamer group in your area, usually a Google search will do it. Local gaming stores are often a good source of info.

I've been playing with these yahoos for over 20 years, and I've been an RPG'er since the mid-70's. We started this Warhammer game back in 2019, but we stopped in March 2020 because of covid. A few of us have immuno-compromised family members, and we agreed to not risk it. Yes, we COULD have played over the internet with something like RollD20 or whatever, but we all are greybeards, we like getting together, drinking beer and playing face-to-face, acting like 12 year-olds.

In terms of finding a gamer group in your area, usually a Google search will do it. Local gaming stores are often a good source of info.
Love that, Sounds like a way better way to play. Hope the 12-year old greybeards is your group name

What did you think of the film? I'm like you: I've re-read the book more times than I can count. It's one of the best examples of world-building ever, IMO. I think it's hard to do justice to it in a movie, though. The new movie has a great director and superb production values and a strong cast but after watching it I still felt like it didn't quite capture the excellence of the book.

Love that, Sounds like a way better way to play. Hope the 12-year old greybeards is your group name
They're hapless and hopeless, accidental murder hobos, if you will. They try to do the right thing, but then the dice betray them, and by the end of the session, every single person in the village, man, woman, or child, has been slaughtered by my players. And it's NOT what they wanted.

For many, many years, their team name was 'The Fuckleducks'. I just call them 'My Goofies'. XD

They're hapless and hopeless, accidental murder hobos, if you will. They try to do the right thing, but then the dice betray them, and by the end of the session, every single person in the village, man, woman, or child, has been slaughtered by my players. And it's NOT what they wanted.

For many, many years, their team name was 'The Fuckleducks'. I just call them 'My Goofies'. XD
I mean fuckleduck is a great literotica username XD

What did you think of the film? I'm like you: I've re-read the book more times than I can count. It's one of the best examples of world-building ever, IMO. I think it's hard to do justice to it in a movie, though. The new movie has a great director and superb production values and a strong cast but after watching it I still felt like it didn't quite capture the excellence of the book.
The visuals are amazing.

I watched it on DVD and could hardly hear what anyone was saying, it was all drowned out by music and effects. I watched it a second time on Satellite and that was less of an issue.

Emotionally I was unimpressed. The Lynch film's "Father, the sleeper shall awaken!" line always makes me cry. The TV series was excellent too. But the new film is too emotionally grey.

The visuals are amazing.

I watched it on DVD and could hardly hear what anyone was saying, it was all drowned out by music and effects. I watched it a second time on Satellite and that was less of an issue.

Emotionally I was unimpressed. The Lynch film's "Father, the sleeper shall awaken!" line always makes me cry. The TV series was excellent too. But the new film is too emotionally grey.
I was fifteen when the Lynch movie was released, and I'd already read the first book. True, Mr. Lynch took many, many liberties with the story, but in terms of its cosmic grandeur and its metaphysical and spiritual impact, the TV series and 2021 don't come close.

And the sandworms in 1984... awe-inspiring.

One thing the new movie almost completely excluded and glossed over was the Mentats. Yes, 1984 didn't do too much with them, but they were there and important. The new movie almost seems to treat them as an afterthought. The Mentats were every bit as vital to mankind's survival as the Bene Gesserit were, since they allowed humanity to progress after the Butlerian Jihad.

In 1984, Kyle MacLachlan was fine for the period. His interpretation of Paul Atreides would've made a fine Prince Imrahil in the LotR movies.

Oh, wait, Peter Jackson excluded Imrahil. #fuckthatruntykiwi

Where was I?

The Harkonens were terrifying in 1984, completely inhumane. And that was poignant in the mid-80's, if not completely faithful to the book. I thought Skarsnik did an admirable job in the 2021 offering.

The way Herbert portrayed Leto Atreides in the book, I always perceived him as a great and grand leader people almost worshipped, not unlike Adama in the original Battlestar Galactica TV series. Jurgen Prochnow had something of that in the 1984 film, but it was cut short.

What did I love about the new movie?

Well, I found a one hour loop of the Sardaukar chant on the Tube of You, and I often play that when I'm taking a showing or studying. I found it strangely centering.

As well, I cannot hear bagpipe music these days without wanting to shout "ATREIDES! ATREIDES!" and annoy all my friends. I'd probably fuck up a screening of Brigadoon by doing that.

I loved the first book, have for decades. The new movie was more canonical, but I agree, rather emotionally grey in comparison.

I'm still mad about Lord of the Rings, so here's a haiku.

Runty Kiwi Peej
You wrecked my favourite book
Balrog's arse for you.

Dune Messiah has always been the heart of the story for me, and the TV series did well with that. The series certainly had weak points, but it was a fairly faithful and generally well made adaptation of the first three books.

The mentats are there in the new film, but like so much in the film the viewer is almost expected to have read the book to understand what's going on.

Dune Messiah has always been the heart of the story for me, and the TV series did well with that. The series certainly had weak points, but it was a fairly faithful and generally well made adaptation of the first three books.

The mentats are there in the new film, but like so much in the film the viewer is almost expected to have read the book to understand what's going on.
I just felt like the Mentats didn't matter one bit in the 2021. the most interesting thing about them was lace parasols. They weren't intellectual giants and human computers who kept realms together with their staggering calculations and leaps of logic.

I loved the first book, have for decades. The new movie was more canonical, but I agree, rather emotionally grey in comparison.

Runty Kiwi Peej
Balrog's arse for you.

Interesting. My reaction to LOTR was the opposite. I thought Peter Jackson did a better job with the movies than anyone could have expected. Before the movies came out, I thought the story was totally unfilmable. He had to get rid of some things from the books, like all the songs and Tom Bombadil and what not, but I thought it was well done. The musical score was fantastic, one of the best ever. Aragorn, Frodo, Sam, and Gandalf were all well cast. Sean Bean (who dies, of course, because he always dies in spectacular ways) had that great meme moment, "One does not simply walk into Mordor".

The Hobbit trilogy was trash, though.

I agree with Alina that the latest Dune, while well done, seemed cold. I think it's tough to make that story translate well to the screen. It was well cast, but still somewhat cold.

I assumed the OP meant what LIT stories are you reading. Personally, I don't read any Lit systematically. I look at the newly-published list and read whatever strikes my fancy.

Of non-Lit reading, I'm working through The Complete Sherlock Holmes (for the tenth or twentieth time). I have it on eBook and it's great to make my exercise bike sessions go by faster.

Last edited:
I was fifteen when the Lynch movie was released, and I'd already read the first book. True, Mr. Lynch took many, many liberties with the story, but in terms of its cosmic grandeur and its metaphysical and spiritual impact, the TV series and 2021 don't come close.

And the sandworms in 1984... awe-inspiring.

One thing the new movie almost completely excluded and glossed over was the Mentats. Yes, 1984 didn't do too much with them, but they were there and important. The new movie almost seems to treat them as an afterthought. The Mentats were every bit as vital to mankind's survival as the Bene Gesserit were, since they allowed humanity to progress after the Butlerian Jihad.

In 1984, Kyle MacLachlan was fine for the period. His interpretation of Paul Atreides would've made a fine Prince Imrahil in the LotR movies.

Oh, wait, Peter Jackson excluded Imrahil. #fuckthatruntykiwi

Where was I?

The Harkonens were terrifying in 1984, completely inhumane. And that was poignant in the mid-80's, if not completely faithful to the book. I thought Skarsnik did an admirable job in the 2021 offering.

The way Herbert portrayed Leto Atreides in the book, I always perceived him as a great and grand leader people almost worshipped, not unlike Adama in the original Battlestar Galactica TV series. Jurgen Prochnow had something of that in the 1984 film, but it was cut short.

What did I love about the new movie?

Well, I found a one hour loop of the Sardaukar chant on the Tube of You, and I often play that when I'm taking a showing or studying. I found it strangely centering.

As well, I cannot hear bagpipe music these days without wanting to shout "ATREIDES! ATREIDES!" and annoy all my friends. I'd probably fuck up a screening of Brigadoon by doing that.

Runty Kiwi Peej
Balrog's arse for you.
As far as Lord of the Rings goes, are you saying the Jackson trilogy ruined it, or do you mean the pile of shit Amazon is calling Rings of Power?
The Jackson trilogy was faithful and I enjoyed all three, the portrayal of Gollum's dual nature was spot on....as was the ineptitude of the ringwraiths, the coolest looking, but least effective villains of all time

Interesting. My reaction to LOTR was the opposite. I thought Peter Jackson did a better job with the movies than anyone could have expected. Before the movies came out, I thought the story was totally unfilmable. He had to get rid of some things from the books, like all the songs and Tom Bombadil and what not, but I thought it was well done. The musical score was fantastic, one of the best ever. Aragorn, Frodo, Sam, and Gandalf were all well cast. Sean Bean (who dies, of course, because he always dies in spectacular ways) had that great meme moment, "One does not simply walk into Mordor".

I agree with Alina that the latest Dune, while well done, seemed cold. I think it's tough to make that story translate well to the screen. It was well cast, but still somewhat cold.
We agree on LOTR, those movies were amazing in the theater, a real experience. But of course its now getting trashed as being all kinds of "ists" by the idiots who are trying to support the crock of shit Rings of Power crap. Look that up on youtube, its being raked through the coals by everyone, even their "superfans' hype video turned out to be 4 you tubers touted to be Tolkien experts, but between the for of them they had hundreds of videos and a combined 2 were Tolkien related. amazon removed the SF hyep vid right after they were exposed, and continue to delete all negative remarks and try to alter the tens of thousands of dislikes on the trailer.

They can't leave anything alone because they have nothing original....at all. The new thing is to take a fan favorite with a built in base, do a new version with some new characters, which I'd be fine with, except they then shit all over the canon that made that way, then call the fans upset phobes and whatever else, because of course it can't be their product sucks.

At this point I only watch/read movies, shows, and books that are older with the exception of a few Netflix and Shudder original horror projects, the rest is rehashed trash produced by clueless idiots vulturing off of the actual talent of those from decades before, like Tolkien.

To me Dune, and I only read the first two, i kind of lost interest after that, was a cold read, a good one, but there was something impersonal to it to me, but it worked.

I enjoyed Peej's LOTR more than I expected to, especially FOTR. The changes he made in that one were very forgivable, and made the story tighter.

His insertion of the Elves into Helm's Deep was my least favorite moment in the films, as it took Tolkien's entire theme and set it on its ear. That's, my least favorite moment... until he bent Faramir over and buttfucked him into being Boromir II. That was even less forgivable.

But visually? Jackson got it right. And the music... oh, the music...

I've avoided the Dune movie so far. I am a diehard fan of books 1, 5, and 6. The middle ones... less so. I believe the books are unfilmable in terms of getting the built world's nuances, but then I thought the same about LOTR.

Just finished Charles Stross's "Quantum of Nightmares". Sort of Lovecraft meets Kafka: the elder horrors are running the UK and half the horror is in the mundane aspects of the story, concepts like "de-emphasised persons". Some of the most fucked-up bits involve a 3-D meat printer.

Started on Seanan McGuire's "Middlegame". It's a big book and so far it's flitting around quite a bit. I haven't really engaged with it yet but I expect that will come.

At some stage need to reread the D&D 5th Ed books for a campaign I'm running that's been on hiatus.

The novel Dune was comprised of three separate sections melded together into one story so any serious movie adaption should be a three movie set, one for each of the three sections of Dune.

Yes, but in terms of dramatic arcs, the Atreides coming to Dune up to the crash in the desert is an obvious one, and this was very much the basis for both films. It's not clear to me that the rest can be divided neatly into two to make a satisfying middle movie.

Back