Gender Identity and Erotic Story Authorship

J.K. Rowling is the obvious choice here. If I remember correctly, she said she did because her publisher afraid mid-grade fantasy written by a woman about a boy wouldn't be taken seriously -- not an unreasonable assumption in the 90s. Fantasy used to be regarded as a men-'s only playground for authors, though the last decade has seen significant improvements.

Nora Roberts wrote some books under the name J.D. Robb, though I don't know her motivations.
I don't either, but I know it's tied to her In Death series, which is a sci-fi Romance/Mystery I got addicted to in high school. I have 14 of them. I haven't gotten one in a few years, so if she still wtites them at the speed she does, then I'm probably 285 behind, lol. Oddly being a romance novel, there isn't much sex in them. Most of the romance between Dallas and Roarke is funny couples banter and her joy of having real coffee in the morning, a date here and there.

Your name sounds like it could be a self titled action novel. Sometimes I think of Millie in Helluva Boss. Not suggesting you should do it, but a bit of her personality combined with your old days of harlotry, in a action novel sounds kinda interesting.
Or a dangerous bitch with an ill temper. Yeah, that's Millie.

Using initials has been a time-honored way of hiding your gender and is used by both men and women. However, more often, women than men. Right now, all I can think of is a fictional writer, though she did have a few real books published (all written by a ghostwriter) J.B. Fletcher.
One that comes to mind is SF writer Dorothy Fontana, who sold her stuff as D.C. Fontana. After she was contributing regularly to Star Trek both as a writer and script supervisor, she became so well known to Trekkies that the "D.C." was dropped.

This is a question to those of you who publish stories "out there" in the real publishing world and are trying to make some money off your works. Does it make a significant difference whether one publishes under the name of a man or of a woman? My impression is that most erotic story authors are women, or at least present themselves that way, which is quite different from what one sees at Literotica. Does it make a difference what genre of erotica one writes?
Not a person who's published erotica "out there" but I find the question intriguing. It might be worthwhile for somebody to do a sort of controlled study of this here on Lit by creating an alt with a different gender and submitting almost the same story, perhaps at a long enough interval that people wouldn't cotton on to the ruse. Then compare the scores of the two stories. (For all I know, maybe this has been done already.)

Back