8L Stats - Do openly Female authors get higher ratings than openly Male authors?

8letters

Writing
Short answer: doesn't look that way:
1699035455840.png
The above is the average story rating based on stories published from 8/30 to 10/6, with the stats taken 28 days after they were published.

But when you talk about Literotica stories, you always have to mention the category:
1699036004608.png
I've highlighted the outliers.

Digging a little deeper into the data:
* BDSM - Author Firefly_Writing pulls up the Other average
* Celebrities & Fan Fiction - Author Ohzee44 really pulls up the Female average. The two Male authors with the most stories both pull down the Male average
* Erotic Horror - One of the two stories by Other authors has a 3.5 rating, pulling down the Other average. Small data set problems
* Exhibitionist & Voyeur - Only two stories by Other authors, so probably small data set problems
* Group Sex - Only one story by an Other author, so probably small data set problems
* Illustrated - Not a lot of stories, so probably small data set problems
* Interracial Love - Author Samuelx pulls down the Male average
* Lesbian Sex - There's not one or two authors pulling down the Male average. It's not all men as there is a story by a male author with a 4.82 rating and another with a 4.87 rating
* Letters & Transcripts - Not a lot of stories, so probably small data set problems
* Loving Wives - There's a Female author who has the most LW stories published in that time window by any author by a wide margin, and her stories have a very low average rating
* Romance - Author Kae_Bright really pulls up the Other average
* Sci-Fi & Fantasy - No one author setting the Other average
* Toys & Masturbation - Not a lot of stories, but no Male or Female author has more than one story, so it could be a trend or it could be a small data set problem

I'd say it is determined more by how the reader perceives the story and not what sex they think the writer is. I have had only one person say how it excites them that a woman wrote the story.

I have had readers inquiring about my gender, but I don't think not knowing matters to my ratings. If they like something I've written, I don't think they worry much about whether a man or a woman wrote it.

I have had readers inquiring about my gender, but I don't think not knowing matters to my ratings. If they like something I've written, I don't think they worry much about whether a man or a woman wrote it.
When I first started posting here - a series of strokers (since deleted) about a Goddess of Love, told from her male lover's point of view - I had several PMs from male members clearly looking to make a "connection", even though I thought it was pretty obvious from my writings that I was a straight male.

The LW category does not surprise me. Very few women write BTB stuff, and the author that you mentioned gets raged at by the misogynist trolls on a regular basis for not doing so. She actually is a very good writer.

When I first started posting here - a series of strokers (since deleted) about a Goddess of Love, told from her male lover's point of view - I had several PMs from male members clearly looking to make a "connection", even though I thought it was pretty obvious from my writings that I was a straight male.
I have gotten several comments where the person said that they assumed that I was a woman from my writing, and those comments are always written on stories with a first-person male POV. Such comments always make me wonder.

I write quite a lot of first person female POV, and try to do so in a way that appeals to women. I could add 'as well as men' to the end of that sentence, but I don't feel I need to; I think when it comes to erotica, generally speaking women are more discerning than men.
* Lesbian Sex - There's not one or two authors pulling down the Male average. It's not all men as there is a story by a male author with a 4.82 rating and another with a 4.87 rating
Yeah, it got bombed heavily after the contest results. Quelle surprise.

A more interesting delve might be first person perspective, male vs female.
Not something that easily lends itself to statistical analysis though...

A lot of men think I'm a woman because I do a lot of female POV.

I have no delusions that I write an amazing female, but have more of a belief men want to think their story is written by a woman in just a thong writing one handed while the other hand is between her legs. This same breed would be horrified if anything a man wrote turned them on...might give them the gay.

Send it my way, I'll plug away at it.
You might've already come up with something, but it should be possible to ID the first-person stories reasonably accurately by counting how often "I" and "me" appear as stand-alone words outside quotes.

You might've already come up with something, but it should be possible to ID the first-person stories reasonably accurately by counting how often "I" and "me" appear as stand-alone words outside quotes.
Good tip.

Send it my way, I'll plug away at it.
If you pull this off by somehow semi-automating it, that’d be impressive.
If you grind through it manually, you deserve an award! My advice would be…wave off, wave off, abort, abort!!!

From what I hear, they definetly get a ton more creepy emails.

I'd gotten sexually curious emails before from people thinking I was a woman and I'd heard that from former collaborators. When I used to cowrite stories with a woman, she'd forward me a few of the emails (since the feedback was considered mutual).

I have a female friend who helps bring a level of believability to my female characters, you know suggestions like: 'You dumbass no woman with a brain-cell between her ears is ever going to say/do/act (pick one) anything like that' then she's promptly tells me what I'd meant to write.
Well genius that I am I attached thanks for her input. About that time emails arrived asking for her contact details.
In case you're wondering - no, I didn't think it through. As it turns out telling her what was going on wasn't that bright an idea either, resulting in another 'You dumbass' lecture.
So, a lot more worldly wise now I no longer attach a thanks. Oh and no she doesn't write on Lit, prefers Chyoa and poetry.

The initial post has some interesting data as long as we recognize some potential limitations. How many writers lie about their gender on their bios? I would suggest more than a few female writers claim ‘male’ so as to avoid harassment.

I find that interesting. I have one strange thing to add. Once I said no to a guy and didn't want to talk. Even though I wasn't rude about it at all, I suddenly got a slew of 1-bombs on my previous work. I have no PROOF. I'm just saying, what a coincidence, heh. I think it's a very, very double edged sword to be openly female.

While I am aware that on... other websites... people might shower women with praise not for the quality of their work but for... other reasons... but I am quite unsure how you would even KNOW. Okay, maybe there's the profile, but nobody goes to see if the author is a woman before adding their response. I think the site does not give upfront information on that.

So, really... I don't even know how it could happen unless the author comes and says in the first part "Oh, I'm a woman, if you give me a good review I might look you up" or something.

While I am aware that on... other websites... people might shower women with praise not for the quality of their work but for... other reasons... but I am quite unsure how you would even KNOW. Okay, maybe there's the profile, but nobody goes to see if the author is a woman before adding their response. I think the site does not give upfront information on that.

So, really... I don't even know how it could happen unless the author comes and says in the first part "Oh, I'm a woman, if you give me a good review I might look you up" or something.
Before I started posting analysis by declared gender, that's what I thought. But apparently a significant number of readers do look up the biography of the author of a story. My analysis only discussed Male vs Female vs Other, but Unidentified regularly does the poorest in a category. For example, Romance. Why would not disclosing your gender result in a lower rating? I should dig deeper, but nothing brilliant is coming to mind as to how to dig deeper.

The first couple paragraphs work pretty well. With 6000 files, I'm not spending too much time manually analyzing them.

It's going to take a while. Interestingly, the first 10-15 that I checked, almost all of them were 1st person.

Back